New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 25, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #961 of 9,406
I'm also sceptical about an external amp module for Ultima since it's already a very long device. With an AMP, how long will it get? It's already less pocketable than AK380. I though they are rather planning accessories like dock, recorder maybe, etc.

.... or a "extra storage module". A slim module with an additional 1 Tb, without all thoses USB-c cables and extra charger needed, will be great.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #962 of 9,406
So, what's up, iRiver? Since several weeks your SP1000 link on www.iriver.com returns an error, not a nice visit card for your flagship. And while you initially announced the first shipment to the swiss shop I ordered it from for the 1st week of July, they are still waiting for it and they didn't succeed at having any updated information.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #963 of 9,406
I plugged the AK CD-ripper to my friend's SP1000 but no option pop up to rip the CD
there is a "CD ripping" tap in the option so I guess SP1000 can rip CD like AK240 / AK380?

Anyone form AK can suggest the fix?

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #964 of 9,406
+ 1000 For an add-0n storage module (with it's own battery) that will "click" under the DAP

In the mean time here is my 1 Tb "add on", but unfortunattly it needs a cable and uses the SP1000's battery.

I think they have an opportunity to create 2 options. One for more storage and battery which would offset the power requirements for the mSATA. The other could be an amp with a builtin battery.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #965 of 9,406
I think they have an opportunity to create 2 options. One for more storage and battery which would offset the power requirements for the mSATA. The other could be an amp with a builtin battery.

And a third option : 1 Tb Storage + Amp + battery. All 3 in one ...

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #966 of 9,406
I managed to spend a short 10-15 mins with the SP1000SS today and it has a very clinical signature to it. I remember I felt that way about the AK380SS however the SP1000SS feels much more so. Possibly coming from an AK380Cu formerly, NW-WM1Z and DX200 more recently the SP1000SS is a little too strident for my personal tastes. The SP1000CU made a show at the recent e-earphone portable festival a few weeks back but talking to AK, they didn't have enough to leave a unit behind in Tokyo. I hope to get to try the SP1000CU as I think it'll be a little more to my tastes.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #967 of 9,406
I managed to spend a short 10-15 mins with the SP1000SS today and it has a very clinical signature to it. I remember I felt that way about the AK380SS however the SP1000SS feels much more so. Possibly coming from an AK380Cu formerly, NW-WM1Z and DX200 more recently the SP1000SS is a little too strident for my personal tastes. The SP1000CU made a show at the recent e-earphone portable festival a few weeks back but talking to AK, they didn't have enough to leave a unit behind in Tokyo. I hope to get to try the SP1000CU as I think it'll be a little more to my tastes.

I don't doubt this, I happened to compare between opus 2 and Zx2, 1z. The obvious differences were the timbres overall, Walkman is always more organic while Opus were more clinical. I think this is because they both ,A&K and the Bit, are competing in the same origin market. This is where it gets interesting. Features and practicalities aside, different sound signatures from both SP1000 and wm1Z will warrant that having both is just as much fun as how much different they can be

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #968 of 9,406
IMHO it's also synergy @Whitigir. I would say the SP1000SS plays more nicely with warmer ear/headphones (e.g. my FitEar MH335DW-SR), whilst the CU-based warmer DAPs go well with my FitEar Titans. To me, the AK380Cu and the DX200 are the "middle ground". I'm hoping the SP1000Cu would be that too.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #969 of 9,406
IMHO it's also synergy @Whitigir. I would say the SP1000SS plays more nicely with warmer ear/headphones (e.g. my FitEar MH335DW-SR), whilst the CU-based warmer DAPs go well with my FitEar Titans. To me, the AK380Cu and the DX200 are the "middle ground". I'm hoping the SP1000Cu would be that too.

Yes, that is the reason why I am also setting eyes on the sp1k-Cu. I agreed about the synergies, speaking of high-end gears, gotta have "synergies". The Z1R may be a contender :D

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #970 of 9,406
Yes, that is the reason why I am also setting eyes on the sp1k-Cu. I agreed about the synergies, speaking of high-end gears, gotta have "synergies". The Z1R may be a contender :D

SP1000 SS pair very well with SHURE KSE1500 and TH900. Not so well with HE1000, but....if a mini tube amp is inserted in the chain to warm up the sound, then the magic of the HE1000 comes back.

So... yes, cautious pairing is needed with the SS ! May be the Cu will ne more forgiving on Headphone choices ?

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #971 of 9,406
Strangely I did not find AK380SS clinical but rather quite dark and warm, although not as much as for example Aune B1. But much more than LPG and Sabre-based Oppo HA2-SE.

I understand that Ultima SS has very detailed highs and mids, although I did find them to have much euphony and class. Still, I was mainly listening to Ultima on warm headphones (Sonorous X, Lab1, and only a moment with LCD i4).

I did not find WM1Z organicall and warm neither. I would call them as clinical as the above... So that's strange. But again, I listened mostly to Z1R.

And I have also ordered WM1Z today, so welcome to the club guys. Hope I'll get it this week and will have the opportunity to reevaluate my first thoughts in a few weeks time :)

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #972 of 9,406
I'm in agreement here. The SP1000's clear and bright sound suits warmer and/or full-bodied IEMs/headphones best. To my ears the SS sounds absolutely great with the TG334, MH335DW, K10, and Zeus XIV. These IEMs complement the SP1000 to a T. Warmer amps such as the CDM do also pair well with the SS.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #973 of 9,406
I'm in agreement here. The SP1000's clear and bright sound suits warmer and/or full-bodied IEMs/headphones best. To my ears the SS sounds absolutely great with the TG334, MH335DW, K10, and Zeus XIV. These IEMs complement the SP1000 to a T. Warmer amps such as the CDM do also pair well with the SS.
Strangely I did not find AK380SS clinical but rather quite dark and warm, although not as much as for example Aune B1. But much more than LPG and Sabre-based Oppo HA2-SE.

I understand that Ultima SS has very detailed highs and mids, although I did find them to have much euphony and class. Still, I was mainly listening to Ultima on warm headphones (Sonorous X, Lab1, and only a moment with LCD i4).

I did not find WM1Z organicall and warm neither. I would call them as clinical as the above... So that's strange. But again, I listened mostly to Z1R.

And I have also ordered WM1Z today, so welcome to the club guys. Hope I'll get it this week and will have the opportunity to reevaluate my first thoughts in a few weeks time :)

Hence why the Z1R is the better synergy here, and I have no doubt. Listening carefully and u can observe the differences in signatures using your Z1R to A-B between 1z and s1K

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #974 of 9,406
So, what's up, iRiver? Since several weeks your SP1000 link on www.iriver.com returns an error, not a nice visit card for your flagship. And while you initially announced the first shipment to the swiss shop I ordered it from for the 1st week of July, they are still waiting for it and they didn't succeed at having any updated information.
Thank you for pointing out the bad link. We are in the process of upgrading all of our websites. Here is the direct link to the SP1000 page on the AstellnKern.com website - https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...scg=CG210180&spos=0&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC10600

Which version of the SP1000 are you waiting for? SP1000 Stainless Steel should be available now from all of our authorized dealers. SP1000 Copper is shipping end of this week and should be at dealers around the first week of August. I can look into this for you if you want to send me a PM with the store info and when you ordered it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 25, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #975 of 9,406
Really like night and day to my ears. Jumping from AK380cu and amp to sp1000ss : I can say it is a great upgrade to my ears.
I use it with my poor earphone SE846
Has someone tried the SP1k with the se846.
How does it sound to your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back