New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 23, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #934 of 9,406
What does "good" mean? To you? To someone else? Someone told you? You read it somewhere? Are you in the market for an X7ii or are you just posting that you believe there are better choices than the SP1000?

With TOTL devices, it often comes down to a relatively small difference in sound quality, but that small difference can be huge to the listener. It also comes down to UI, and my experience with Fiio's UI was not nearly as positive as my experience with two AK devices. And also other features and storage enter in to it as well.

Before I bought my first AK I didn't think there could be enough difference between them and lower-priced devices to make them worthwhile. I'm now on my second one and am seriously considering the SP1000. It all depends on what you the listener/consumer deem worthwhile.

+1, only the fluidity of the UI of the AK players is TOTL, compared to many others DAPs like FiiO, IBasso, Pawn, and even Sony.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #936 of 9,406
Exynos? Wasn't it Snapdragon 820?

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #938 of 9,406
Guys, I am a bit underwhelmed by the sound of the SP1000 with full-size headphones. I mean, the SP1000 sounds good with Utopia and HD800S, but compared to AK380Cu/SS with AK380amp, the SP1000 falls a bit short in terms of tonal depth and timbre. I would really like to buy the SP1000, but only if I would know for sure that a matching amp from A&K is in the works and will come to market soon. If you know something about that please post here or send me a PM. Thanks in advance! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #939 of 9,406
Guys, I am a bit underwhelmed by the sound of the SP1000 with full-size headphones. I mean, the SP1000 sounds good with Utopia and HD800S, but compared to AK380Cu/SS with AK380amp, the SP1000 falls a bit short in terms of tonal depth and timbre. I would really like to buy the SP1000, but only if I would know for sure that a matching amp from A&K is in the works and will come to market soon. If you know something about that please post here or send me a PM. Thanks in advance! :beerchug:

This is the closest to a "matching amp" that is available so far, and it is balanced and tube based :wink: : The Oriolus BA10 OAK. And it do not cost a fortune : 370 $ US

I mean "matching amp" because it is exactly the same footprint than the SP1000, so the brick will not look to akward ! And also the "tube" sound should match the SP1000 sound that some consider not warm enough, if... there is no loss of details.

I have ordered one with a balanced input cable. I hope to get it this week, and I will report how it sound....

Oriolus_BA10 2.jpg Oriolus AMP BA10 OAK.png

Attachments

• Oriolus DAC BD10 CEIBA.png
    Oriolus DAC BD10 CEIBA.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #940 of 9,406
Thanks @bmichels for your comment, but I am only interested in an additional amp from A&K or an amp from another manufacturer made specifically for the SP1000 (using its balanced 5pin analogue output). There are some really knowledgeable people on this board and maybe some A&K officials too. So please shoot me a PM. :)

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #942 of 9,406
I tried this at a show in Beijing, but not my tracks, and the tracks where mostly crap, so could not form an impression on sound. There does not seem to be a dramatic jump in performance from my WM1Z but it seems less warm. The design and build are absolutely STUNNING. I could buy it just for that. The background is ultra silent, and the UI is great. My only issue is that it is quite wide and less convenient in your hand than WM1Z or LPG.

Congrats, I would be very interested in any further comments you have re the sound of the 1z vs the sp1000 both on balanced. I am about to pull the trigger on one of them. Thanks.

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #943 of 9,406
I'm not sure about adding different non-AK amps to your AK DAP.

I've had my AK380SS AMP in authorised repair service for a month (that's how long it takes them to get to work in Germany...).

I've had an original black 380 AMP borrowed from my dealer for the time of repair and... it wasn't tuned to the 380SS version. I mean, they somehow sounded BAD together. I can't say what exactly it was; but surely I prefered a "naked" 380SS without an amp.

Also AK380SS sounds nice with both Oppo HA2-SE and Aune B1. But still, it sounds best with the original amp, even if the sound is smaller than with the both said amps, especially Aune B1. Somehow it's sound is most coherent and integral, if I may say so. Maybe that's also thanks to the 4pin balanced out versus unbalanced mini-jack out, dunno.

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #944 of 9,406
This is the closest to a "matching amp" that is available so far, and it is balanced and tube based :wink: : The Oriolus BA10 OAK. And it do not cost a fortune : 370 $ US

I mean "matching amp" because it is exactly the same footprint than the SP1000, so the brick will not look to akward ! And also the "tube" sound should match the SP1000 sound that some consider not warm enough, if... there is no loss of details.

I have ordered one with a balanced input cable. I hope to get it this week, and I will report how it sound....

I saw 250mWx250mW and I thought oh...my Wm1z is also similar, though it is 32 ohms load and not 16 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back