New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 28, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #243 of 9,406
I quickly tested the sp1000 with the MDR-Z1R headphones via the unbalanced output yesterday in a local store, they already have one unit for presale demo. I liked it quite a bit and I am a spoiled listener. They didn't have a balanced cable so I haven't tested the balanced output. It played pretty loud to me via the unbalanced out but the volume was set on its max. I wonder would it perform louder (if any) if playd via the balanced?

May 28, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #245 of 9,406
Yes it was loud but I could handle it. What I always like to have in my amp is some excess available. - even if I don't really ever need it ..I don't know why perhaps for "mental satisfaction" like just to know that "it is there" ..if I just turn it up- so I won't ever need to think like "what if it could only play louder , would it be better then"? Anyways do you know if the balanced output is "louder" on this unit? Again I like the unit And will buy it anyway the sound is enjoyable and loud enough to me.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #246 of 9,406

link to the hifi hong kong event,

May 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #249 of 9,406
Very excited about this new player, but for me I am going to wait to see how AK is going to manage the AMP. We have heard that AK is not going to develop its own amp and instead work with other companies to produce amps for the system. I am really interested to see how these ‘partnerships’ play out.

My first is question is how much will AK share with its partners and what level of integration (if any) they will allow with the AK software. Will amps provide pass through charging and data transfer as the current 380 amp? Will AK allow amp functions to be controlled (such as gain) from the AK software like the current 380 amp?

All most all of the portable amps available today are DAC amps (Digital to Analog conversion + Amp). Similar to a modern home integrated amplifier, almost all of these devices operate in the digital domain for processing. The process is as follows:

(Digital file) -> (Digital volume control, digital EQ, Manufacture specific mystery process) -> (Digital to analog conversion) -> (amp).

When you send this type of DAC amp an analog signal you get:

(Analog signal) -> (Analog to Digital conversion) -> (Digital volume control, digital EQ, Manufacture specific mystery process) -> (Digital to analog conversion) -> (amp).

While some portable DAC amps may exist that have an analog pass through, I have not been able to find them. Pure analog headphone amps do exist, but they seem to all require AC power.

Most if not all of the people looking at this new AK product will be buying it because of AK’s fantastic ability to convert a digital file to analog. This is the AK sweet spot. For me I buy AK because they do this process better than most. The process is:

(Digital file) -> (Digital volume control, digital EQ, AK mystery process) -> (Digital to analog conversion) -> (analog output).

For me I don’t want to take this AK analog output and re-digitize the signal just to amp it. Combining the AK with the current offering of portable DAC amps you are winding up with:

(Digital file) -> (Digital volume control, digital EQ, AK mystery process) -> (Digital to analog conversion) -> (analog output)-> (analog input) -> (Analog to Digital conversion) -> (Digital volume control, digital EQ, Manufacture specific mystery process) -> (Digital to analog conversion) -> (amp) -> analog output.

I guess what I really want is the equivalent of a home power amp, but in a portable configuration. The AK will serve as the Pre-amp and the external amp will just be a power amp.

I know a lot of people use different DAC amps with current AK products and are happy with the sound. Believe me I use my AK380 in my car all the time and its wonderful. Its just not what I want for listening with my cans.

Hope I don’t upset anyone here with this post. It is not my intent. Some may not be aware of the re-digitizing of the signal.

As always here to learn

May 30, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #250 of 9,406
Well, if you want a power amp similarly to the home power amp but in portable configuration, you will have to sacrifice form....sizes does matter. When you think of electricity, you think of water. Ofcourse the larger the reservoir, the more current and flow it can generate. So form and sizes does matter. What I don't like about these DAP is that they are trying to follow smartphone market while not making a section of their own. They are chasing both sound quality and compact portable form factor.

I rather have a larger DAP similar to the Casstte Walkman, it doesn't matter, give me a chunky battery, good power supply with a lot of muscularity into amping, and that would be a proper portable player....but hell no, they are all trying to be compact.....and small....and thinner.....whatever

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #251 of 9,406
Mm..I tried my AK 380 cu in my car as well........via bluetooth. Lousy, sub-par experience. So, I just use my iSine 10 with my cu...while driving. Much better. I still have some situational awareness (since the iSine is open-back).

May 30, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #252 of 9,406
I rather have a larger DAP similar to the Casstte Walkman, it doesn't matter, give me a chunky battery, good power supply with a lot of muscularity into amping, and that would be a proper portable player....but hell no, they are all trying to be compact.....and small....and thinner.....whatever

Isn't that exactly what AK did that with the KANN? I thought it looked 'homely' (putting it politely), but can see how it might fit some users' preferences :)

May 30, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #253 of 9,406
Hey guys Sound Difference Between SS and Copper version.
I realize few have made comparisons yet, but is AK saying casings making different signatures or is a different in wireing materials?

I know this year be a subjected question as sound is matter of taste. And some are buying for astectics. Can someone elaborate more,,

Boy us newbies lol
Thx

May 30, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #254 of 9,406
Hey guys Sound Difference Between SS and Copper version.
I realize few have made comparisons yet, but is AK saying casings making different signatures or is a different in wireing materials?

I know this year be a subjected question as sound is matter of taste. And some are buying for astectics. Can someone elaborate more,,

Boy us newbies lol
Thx
Also what type music for each model again subjected

May 30, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #255 of 9,406
Mm..I tried my AK 380 cu in my car as well........via bluetooth. Lousy, sub-par experience. So, I just use my iSine 10 with my cu...while driving. Much better. I still have some situational awareness (since the iSine is open-back).

I use the Crystal Cable that AK brands. out of the AK and into the line in on the car. I have never tried bluetooth for audio except for iHeart radio from my phone. thats not great either so I can't imagine that bluetooth from an AK would be much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back