New Sony PHA-2A portable DAC
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #107 of 244
4.4mm Earphone cable for Sony PHA-2A NW-WM1Z To 2.5mm 4 pole TRRS Female adapter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-Earph...hash=item3ada5aa40c:m:m2Er4FvVN6pBtirEOBr0vVw

17-2_5-female-4_4-1.jpg

May 17, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #111 of 244
Damn that looks sexy, do you know if there is anyway to get the limited 1A ? Are you familiar with the normal 1A? Does it sound the same ?

I had use normal MDR-1A 1 year before I sell it and get limited edition. The sound of limited edition is similar to the normal one.

However the bass is more crisp and it has more detail than the normal one.

I got this one from japan. If you want it I suggest you should take a look on ebay.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #112 of 244
I had use normal MDR-1A 1 year before I sell it and get limited edition. The sound of limited edition is similar to the normal one.

However the bass is more crisp and it has more detail than the normal one.

I got this one from japan. If you want it I suggest you should take a look on ebay.
How much did you pay for that cable ? I only see like prices of about 200€, I would like to build the same setup, but I dont wanna spend 200€ on the wire!

May 20, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #114 of 244
How much did you pay for that cable ? I only see like prices of about 200€, I would like to build the same setup, but I dont wanna spend 200€ on the wire!

Oh well, I bought the second hand at half price of the new one.

Actually it is compatible with MDR-1A and MDR-100AAP only for now. If you have a plan to use with another headphone please just skip it...

May 21, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #115 of 244

Actually it is compatible with MDR-1A and MDR-100AAP only for now. If you have a plan to use with another headphone please just skip it...
Well I do own the normal MDR-1A, as said I would like to build your setup but even 100 € would be alot for a cable. I thought about building my own but I think I will just buy another headphone instead of the DAC/AMP. Thanks for your reply anyways!

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #116 of 244
Does anyone makes an 4.4mm balanced to 2 3.5mm adapter so we can use the old sony 3.5mm balanced cable from the Z5? I found a few 4.4mm balance to MMCX on eBay and aliexpress and wonder if anyone have experience with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/800-Wires-S...hash=item3ad640a61b:m:mYndX-44hse0TJiOcFNXWKQ

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top...lgo_pvid=9043b918-eaea-45f0-8738-220fc3e5e522

EDIT: 6/19. Ended up getting a almost new Sony MUC-M12SM1 from one of the member here that have been modded to a 3.5mm TRRS jack, got a Pentaconn 4.4mm Balanced jack from Moon audio. Ohmed out the connections on the 3.5mm TRRS to confirm it was wired correctly, then de-soldered them and soldered them onto the Pentaconn. Ohmed it out again to check for correct connections and shorts. Plug it into the PHA-2A and it seems to be working fine. Going to use it for a couple days and if there's no problem. I'm going to silicone adhesive coat the soldered area to secure the fine wires then use a small drop of superglue to hold the sleeve to the shield (in addition to the crimp).

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #117 of 244
Anyone tried using Media Go on a PC connected to the 2A and can you set Audio output to ASIO? UPS just showed up with mine. Wow, not having own any of the previous models, This is huge. I thought it would be similar in size to the Teac HA-P50 or slightly larger but it's like 50% bigger. This will take some getting used to.

Edit: Read the manual, downloaded and installed the driver, reboot, Start Media Go, change audio output to ASIO and it's working fine.

One problem, if you switch to ASIO for Media Go, your other audio source won't work. (Chrome, VLC, WMP. etc) and then you have to switch back for those to work. Kind of a pain but guess you can't get around it. Guess I'll have to do a bunch of comparison between ASIO and Window sound audio output to see if it's worth it. Probably only when listening to Hi Res contents. (Solved, see below)

Got home, repeated the above step with the home PC and got the unit working but had some problem getting it to switch over to ASIO. Had to reboot the system but now it seems to switch between ASIO and Window Sound on it's own as Chrome and VLC is working again. It's only during audio playback on Media Go that it went to digital to DAC (volume control on PC no longer have effect).

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #118 of 244

Does your limited edition 1A give sounds from it when u move your head or take it off or on ? My 1As do make alot of noise when the hinges are moved.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #119 of 244
Anyone in the US with the 2A and MMCX headphones and want to try balanced output should check this out on Amazon. Korean dealer is selling the MUC-M12SB1 4.4mm Kimber balanced cable at the price of US$139 with Amazon prime shipping. The MUC-M12SB1 is currently priced at over 22,000 yen (US$200) in Japan while the new non-kimber MUC-M12NB1 is priced at 15,000 yen (US$135). Now I think it's a mistake and they are actually selling the NB1 but if that's the case, you can always return it at their expense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back