New Sony PHA-2A portable DAC
Mar 11, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #76 of 244
That's odd since you CAN with the PHA-1A and the PHA-3. I'm a very happy 1A owner but I'm eyeing the 2A as a "home" driver for my Z7 in balance mode. The 1A is great for portable use with the Z7 and it gives me a good 8 hours of continuous play when hooked up to my portable battery pack. The fact that the 2A won't charge and play at the same time and since it's heavier and bulkier than the 1A,it would make it too much of a compromise for portable use versus the 1A.

The info from Oracle is definitely wrong. I don't know if you can charge it through a separate usb port while playing music but you can definitely charge it through a charger. I have it connected to the charging port of my usb hub while playing music from  the pc (it connects to the pc through a separate microusb).

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #77 of 244
  The info from Oracle is definitely wrong. I don't know if you can charge it through a separate usb port while playing music but you can definitely charge it through a charger. I have it connected to the charging port of my usb hub while playing music from  the pc (it connects to the pc through a separate microusb).

Then there's something wrong with my unit or my laptop (or both???). If I use a charger to charge it, my laptop won't recognize it with the usb cable. If remove the charger, it will.

If I already have it connected to my computer and then insert the charger, it doesn't charge.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #83 of 244
I just purchase a 2a just went pass the 100 hour mark, I'm going to give it an additional 100 just like I gave my PHA 3, to breaking in. The PHA went DOA on me about 4 months ago and Sony refused to honor the warranty

...why did Sony not honor the warranty? Along with the overall sonic experience, post-sale support on any device should always be factored into the buying decision.

I eagerly await your impressions.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #84 of 244
  ES9018K2M (PHA-3 also uses this model if I'm not mistaken) according to the Japanese product page here: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/PHA-2A/?s_rcmd=rt_recent_browse_history_products_SJ

Actually the Sony PHA 3 used the ESS 9018 ( desktop class)  I believe, the ES9018K2M usually appears on DAP like iBasso dx 90 or Oppo HA 2.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #85 of 244
Sony didn't honor my warranty because I bought a store demo from B&H Photo's as far as the 2a goes I just received a new Balance Silver Dragon cable from Moon audio yesterday and first impressions are very positive, the wow factor does apply big time.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #86 of 244
So far, the described issues with this unit are minor, in my opinion.

How is the sound quality compare to Chord Mojo?  That would be my biggest question, especially with the balanced output, which is not an option for the Mojo.

Does anyone have both??  Thank you in advance.  Very curious.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #88 of 244
Sony didn't honor my warranty because I bought a store demo from B&H Photo's as far as the 2a goes I just received a new Balance Silver Dragon cable from Moon audio yesterday and first impressions are very positive, the wow factor does apply big time.

Positive, wow factor for 2A, or silver dragon, or both?

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #89 of 244
I've actually yet to see a legit review on this unit which seems a bit strange.

Maybe because it's not released in the USA yet. Strange, even on sony-asia it says not yet available.
Anyway I have one and I can say it has relegated my Fostex HP-A4 Dac/Amp. While the Fostex is not top dollar, it's a very capable DAC. I've used my PHA-2A with Android phone, ipad and pc and I can say it's really wonderful. Sorry I don't possess all the superlative sound descriptions. As I'm typing this I'm jamming on it to Joe Banamassa using my Sennheiser HD700 through balance cable 4.4mm plug. And this new 4.4mm standard is great, hoping other manufacturers adopt it soon.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #90 of 244
  Maybe because it's not released in the USA yet. Strange, even on sony-asia it says not yet available.
Anyway I have one and I can say it has relegated my Fostex HP-A4 Dac/Amp. While the Fostex is not top dollar, it's a very capable DAC. I've used my PHA-2A with Android phone, ipad and pc and I can say it's really wonderful. Sorry I don't possess all the superlative sound descriptions. As I'm typing this I'm jamming on it to Joe Banamassa using my Sennheiser HD700 through balance cable 4.4mm plug. And this new 4.4mm standard is great, hoping other manufacturers adopt it soon.

Do you, by any chance, have or ever hear the chord mojo?  How does pha-2a compare to mojo?  Curious to find out what the balanced output is like on the pha 2a. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back