NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Oct 8, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #2,462 of 2,741
  Hello. I have AKG K7xx, and a HD650 soon. I really want to buy a good amp, and now choose between Schiit Asgard 2 and Gustard H10.

Which one would you prefer? Thanks.

Haven't tried the Gustard, but I've owned both the K7xx and the HD600 (not 650, but should be similar) and they both work quite well with the Asgard 2.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #2,463 of 2,741
  Using the sensitivity you stated and the 60 Ohms impedance you previously gave, the Asgard 2 at 1 W can put out around 121 dBSPL with your headphones. That's plenty. Time to enjoy your kit and not worry.

i guess its time to sit back and enjoy it , i came from a portable background for many years and just recently got into the home system side of things
as you know i have the asgard 2 paired with the lcd2.2 and the i basso dx80 as my source 
i dont have a dac as yet , do you think that by adding a dac it would make a significant difference to the overall sound quality and if so what differences 
would it make ? 
and is there a difference between balanced and non balanced what are the differences between the two ?
i was looking at the bifrost multibit or maybe just sell the asgard 2 and go for the mjolnir 2 , gungnir dac combo .
just dont want to waste my money if what i have is sufficient .
im still using the stock cable for the lcd2 not sure about that either these cables are dam expensive . 

cheers guys . 

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2,464 of 2,741
  i guess its time to sit back and enjoy it , i came from a portable background for many years and just recently got into the home system side of things
as you know i have the asgard 2 paired with the lcd2.2 and the i basso dx80 as my source 
i dont have a dac as yet , do you think that by adding a dac it would make a significant difference to the overall sound quality and if so what differences 
would it make ? 
and is there a difference between balanced and non balanced what are the differences between the two ?
i was looking at the bifrost multibit or maybe just sell the asgard 2 and go for the mjolnir 2 , gungnir dac combo .
im still using the stock cable for the lcd2 not sure about that either these cables are dam expensive . 

cheers guys . 

Adding a good DAC will scale your Asgard 2 to even greater heights. A good DAC will add the 3D imaging (i.e. a jazz band will make your mind think that you're actually listening in the front row);  less fatiguing / closer to real life sound signature and reveal nuances that you've never heard before (i.e. an electric guitar won't sound monotonic, rather you'll hear every unique string sound that comprises the whole note). I realized all of that after I upgraded from my Meridian Explorer to Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC.

I would suggest to try Schiit Modi Multibit. Also add Schiit Wyrd if you will use a computer as your source. If the DX80 is your only source, no need for the Wyrd.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,465 of 2,741
would it make ? 

cheers guys . 

You probably already know that the DX80 can serve as a USB DAC and has hirez capabilities and specs rivaling most desktop DACs. Unless you are specifically looking for a desktop DAC or need a second DAC, it will serve you well.
The forums are not short of people ready to spend your money, try to resist this. IMO there are many myths circulating that one must be careful about.
Balanced does not really change the SQ, it merely doubles the voltage hence adds 6 dBV, only if the Amp has the ability to deliver the voltage swing at your headphone's impedance.  If your Amp is loud enough, with sufficient headroom as your Asgard 2, there is nothing to benefit from this.
When it comes to DACs this year's rave is Multibit and yet the previous darlings were D/S which everyone sweared by. And yet every year new products come out and so many swear that the new stuff is way better than last year's goodies. Things cannot go this way, better every year with no end in sight, clearly this is not sustainable and time has run out long ago, I attribute much of this to excitement and new kit syndrome.
IMO, I would use the dosh for another pair of headphones or something you don't already have or put towards your next vacation, etc
That's my take on this, anyone is free to feel and do as they wish.

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2,466 of 2,741
Yes, I would recommend the Modi Multibit. Probably the best bang for your buck DAC out there right now. Would pair nicely with your Asgard 2 and would be a nice step up over your dx80.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #2,467 of 2,741

You probably already know that the DX80 can serve as a USB DAC and has hirez capabilities and specs rivaling most desktop DACs. Unless you are specifically looking for a desktop DAC or need a second DAC, it will serve you well.

I think the OP was talking about using the DX80 not just as DAC but also as storage. The DX80 can also serve as a digital source (bypassing its internal DAC) via S/PDIF coax.
@Nicholasheadfi2: So there's a nice progression. Run the DX80as a source+DAC into the Asgard 2 using a simple 3.5mm jack to RCA stereo splitter cable. If that sounds great, rest there. If you are curious about what an external DAC might sound like, try to find someone in your area who has one you are interested it (it would have to have S/PDIF coax input, as all the main Schiit DACs have), and visit them bringing along your DX80, Asgard 2, headphones, and various cables. Personally, I do hear positive differences between Schiit's multibit DACs and delta-sigma DACs costing a bit more, but YMMV.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #2,468 of 2,741
  I think the OP was talking about using the DX80 not just as DAC but also as storage. The DX80 can also serve as a digital source (bypassing its internal DAC) via S/PDIF coax.
@Nicholasheadfi2: So there's a nice progression. Run the DX80as a source+DAC into the Asgard 2 using a simple 3.5mm jack to RCA stereo splitter cable. If that sounds great, rest there. If you are curious about what an external DAC might sound like, try to find someone in your area who has one you are interested it (it would have to have S/PDIF coax input, as all the main Schiit DACs have), and visit them bringing along your DX80, Asgard 2, headphones, and various cables. Personally, I do hear positive differences between Schiit's multibit DACs and delta-sigma DACs costing a bit more, but YMMV.

Great feedback from you guys thank you i know someone who has a schiit multibit dac i will explore this option via the the coax
input , overiding the internal dac of the ibasso dx80 and using the the multibit dac sounds like my next move to take.
im using the dac of the dx80 at the moment and i think it sounds great but i beleive with the external dac it can sound better i hope, just feel like there is something missing
at the moment cant quite put my finger on it , will report back with my findings . quoting stan D 
as for the balanced side of things you have just clarified what i thought originally 
no benefit to me .

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #2,469 of 2,741
any owners experience clicking or popping sounds during power on or off?
i know this issue has been addressed from the asgard1, however during my in-store demo yesterday, after about a 20minute session i turned off the unit and felt a pressure-like sensation in my ears along with a faint "fuzz' sound.

i remember this sensation when i tried the Bose QC35 for the first time - if anyone can relate.

i tried to replicate it afterwards. it didn't happen again but there were click/pops instead, mostly during power-off
i was using my K712 Pro. it was enough to turn me off buying it

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #2,470 of 2,741
any owners experience clicking or popping sounds during power on or off?
i know this issue has been addressed from the asgard1, however during my in-store demo yesterday, after about a 20minute session i turned off the unit and felt a pressure-like sensation in my ears along with a faint "fuzz' sound.

i remember this sensation when i tried the Bose QC35 for the first time - if anyone can relate.

i tried to replicate it afterwards. it didn't happen again but there were click/pops instead, mostly during power-off
i was using my K712 Pro. it was enough to turn me off buying it

It's good practice to unplug headphones from an amp before turning off. I'm not sure about that issue with the Asgard, but there are amps out there it is highly advised to unplug headphones first.

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #2,471 of 2,741
It's good practice to unplug headphones from an amp before turning off. I'm not sure about that issue with the Asgard, but there are amps out there it is highly advised to unplug headphones first.

yeah I've seen that procedure mentioned here on head-fi, but really? that would just be an inconvenience.
imagine unplugging speakers from an amp each time it had to be powered down.. not fun

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,472 of 2,741
Using great sounding components to achieve a much better listening experience isn't always convenient. For instance, I'm sure it would be much easier to simply listen to music straight from your cell phones yet I seriously doubt you'd enjoy your music as much as you do with better components. 

I just tried a pair of IEM's plugged into my Asgard 2 and then turned it off, I heard a small click...not a thump, but I did hear a low-level click. I had to try it for myself as I never turn my gear off, nor do I ever simply leave any of my headphones or IEM's plugged into the amp once I'm done listening. I realize that this may sound like a pain in the butt to some, but simply unplug your headphones or IEM's from the amp once you're done listening. Let's be honest, it's not difficult to unplug once you're done or to plug your headphones back in when you're ready to use them again. I doubt that any noise you hear while turning off your Asgard 2 would hurt your headphones, but if it concerns you, just unplug them once you're done listening. That tiny inconvenience will give you piece of mind and if that eliminates your concern it'll be well worth the few extra seconds it took. 

As an aside, over the years I've owned several large, very powerful speaker amps and some of them would indeed cause noise through my speakers after about 30-40 seconds after turning the amp off...this never caused an issue/damaged to my speakers. I now simply leave my speaker amps on all the time. 

Enjoy your music and have a great weekend! 

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #2,473 of 2,741
  Using great sounding components to achieve a much better listening experience isn't always convenient. For instance, I'm sure it would be much easier to simply listen to music straight from your cell phones yet I seriously doubt you'd enjoy your music as much as you do with better components. 

I just tried a pair of IEM's plugged into my Asgard 2 and then turned it off, I heard a small click...not a thump, but I did hear a low-level click. I had to try it for myself as I never turn my gear off, nor do I ever simply leave any of my headphones or IEM's plugged into the amp once I'm done listening. I realize that this may sound like a pain in the butt to some, but simply unplug your headphones or IEM's from the amp once you're done listening. Let's be honest, it's not difficult to unplug once you're done or to plug your headphones back in when you're ready to use them again. I doubt that any noise you hear while turning off your Asgard 2 would hurt your headphones, but if it concerns you, just unplug them once you're done listening. That tiny inconvenience will give you piece of mind and if that eliminates your concern it'll be well worth the few extra seconds it took. 

As an aside, over the years I've owned several large, very powerful speaker amps and some of them would indeed cause noise through my speakers after about 30-40 seconds after turning the amp off...this never caused an issue/damaged to my speakers. I now simply leave my speaker amps on all the time. 

Enjoy your music and have a great weekend! 

Thanks
i understand what you're saying and appreciate your perspective.
Even with knowing the rationale behind it, for me as a consumer i will continue to think its all a bit Too fiddly.
Electronics, to me, are appliances to make life somewhat easier. like buying and using a toaster. i know what i need it to do and buy the one which would deliver without any additional complexities introduced otherwise, whats the point? I'll just use my 900cm oven instead LOL
Perhaps all my other cheapo headfi gear done exhibit this behaviour i've become a bit spoilt?
Anyways, it will remain a deciding factor for me. Small clicks and pops are OK, but thumps and pressure-like sensations leave me questioning what is happening to my drivers.
Cheers

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,474 of 2,741
I've never heard an alarming thump or pop coming from my Asgard 2 at power up or down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back