New Philips 890's
Feb 11, 2002 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Bolivar

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Got my new 890's today from Meier-Audio. Everything went great! Highly recommened.
But give me some time to break them in and I'll give ya a comparison between the 890's and my Grado's.

Later.

Bol

Feb 11, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 63
Which Grados would that be?

I hope it's a lower end model, 'cause then we'd finally see a fair comparison including the HP890.

I'm looking forward to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 63
Excellent. This will be interesting.

Hows the comfort feel? Like pillows or a thornbush? It seems to be either extreme with these cans for some reason (I can't imagine why . . .)

Feb 12, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 63
What ,you mean you don't think that the HP890 are the best headphones ever made?How dare you.(how's that fellow team Philips members,I'm not done yet.)These are the finest headphones ever produced and anyone who does'nt think so is CRAZY. You waited for weeks to get them from Germany and you don't love them already?I'm appalled and disgusted.You should love these phones instantly and defend them with you heart and soul.

How's that fellow team Philips members?Am I in?Please?

Feb 12, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 63
Congratz on your purchase Bolivar...

Im sure we'd all like to hear your thoughts on the relative merits (or otherwise) of the HP890s as compared to your SR60.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 63
fine defensive vitriol, Tuberoller! Coming along well....
wink.gif

But is it really fair for Bolivar to compare the $65 US price SR60s vs the $105 US price 890s? After all, the 890s are available on the Kyrghyzstanian black market for $17 equivalent US, so maybe ranking the 890s against Coby or some of the lesser Jensen phones would be fairer...
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the fun, Bolivar!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 63
Oh Delenda, shame on you. We all know that the Philips headphones are going to kick some serious Grado ass. What would be fairer is to compare it with a headphone that can hold its own against the Philips. And you and I both own a pair. The Sennheiser HD497. Now THAT would be a match I'd like to see.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
Oh Delenda, shame on you.

Shame indeed.

return to that place from whence you came...

and take your Cobys with you...

(they'll be right at home with the rest of the entry level headphones in your collection)

very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
What ,you mean you don't think that the HP890 are the best headphones ever made?How dare you.(how's that fellow team Philips members,I'm not done yet.)These are the finest headphones ever produced and anyone who does'nt think so is CRAZY. You waited for weeks to get them from Germany and you don't love them already?I'm appalled and disgusted.You should love these phones instantly and defend them with you heart and soul.

How's that fellow team Philips members?Am I in?Please?

rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by delenda est Sony
fine defensive vitriol, Tuberoller! Coming along well....
wink.gif

But is it really fair for Bolivar to compare the $65 US price SR60s vs the $105 US price 890s? After all, the 890s are available on the Kyrghyzstanian black market for $17 equivalent US, so maybe ranking the 890s against Coby or some of the lesser Jensen phones would be fairer...
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the fun, Bolivar!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Or you could make sense and see it this way: The European/Australian budget headphone against the American budget headphone.
Ah, then again, you guys pay more for the SR-60 than we pay for the HP890s don't you?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
Oh Delenda, shame on you. We all know that the Philips headphones are going to kick some serious Grado ass. What would be fairer is to compare it with a headphone that can hold its own against the Philips. And you and I both own a pair. The Sennheiser HD497. Now THAT would be a match I'd like to see.
very_evil_smiley.gif

As mentioned in another thread, I'd like to see that too. I have no idea what the result would be, but probably something along the lines of better value in the HD497, if you can live with a supraaural design...

Feb 12, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 63
Actually, Philips guys, if the 890s popped up in the local Virgin Mega tomorrow at $105, I'd buy em in a flash. I like the design, have heard lots of great things about them, and would love a chance to be more closely involved in The Great Headphone Controversy Of Our Day. Also, I am not discounting the great loyalty that these cans have inspired in all of you guys. There must be something to them!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the differential price point issue is silly though. I don't know where Bolivar lives, but if he paid $105 US for the 890s than a comparison against other phones in that range in his market seems fair. I do indeed envy the ability of our Southern hemisphere bretheren to pick the 890s up for $60 US equivalent, and if they did a review of the Philips vs other cans available in Oz at the same price point, all well and good. But "requirng" reviewers to adjust the Philips' opponents downwards cause of lower prices elsewhere in the world doesn't make much sense. Pragmatically, Bolivar isn't going to buy new headphones just for this review, and presumably doesn't have the independent review outsourcing capability of Tubie, so we'll have to take what we can get. I think a review of the SR60s vs the 890s will be a good read; I think the Philips will have the edge, but we'll see. I am not as convinced of the outcome as Violeta though!
wink.gif
And I would love to see the 497s go against the Philips 890s as well, and I would love to do that comparison myself, if only the local Virgin store would help out by actually getting the 890s in stock...

I do hope that Bolivar sticks to his review writing plans and doesn't run away screaming from this forum of madmen!
smily_headphones1.gif
I just thought that Team Philips (or some members of it) overreacted to Tuberoller's initial review and if this happens consistently we may see a chilling effect on the purpose of this forum, which is to give prospective headphone buyers guidance as to the strengths and weaknesses of a given design. That said, Team Philips is lots of fun and are certainly one of the liveliest bunches on this forum, so peace and love to you all!
wink.gif

Especially Buddha, who's gotten carried enough away so as to call my Grado SR60s, Sony V6s, and Senn 497s "second rate cans"!
eek.gif
And this from a man who bought the Philips 550s...tch tch!
tongue.gif
And all that verbiage on mudslinging, innuendo and slithering, well, perhaps you should relax and have a Fosters, mate! Here's a link for you to meditate on, o gentle and wise deity:

http://www.chuavietnam.com/bstory/page22.html

Have fun with your 890s Bolivar, and keep us posted!

good listening to all,

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Also, I am not discounting the great loyalty that these cans have inspired in all of you guys. There must be something to them!
smily_headphones1.gif

A common foe can do miracles to people with a common interest
wink.gif

Quote:

I think the differential price point issue is silly though. I don't know where Bolivar lives, but if he paid $105 US for the 890s than a comparison against other phones in that range in his market seems fair. I do indeed envy the ability of our Southern hemisphere bretheren to pick the 890s up for $60 US equivalent, and if they did a review of the Philips vs other cans available in Oz at the same price point, all well and good. But "requirng" reviewers to adjust the Philips' opponents downwards cause of lower prices elsewhere in the world doesn't make much sense. Pragmatically, Bolivar isn't going to buy new headphones just for this review, and presumably doesn't have the independent review outsourcing capability of Tubie, so we'll have to take what we can get. I think a review of the SR60s vs the 890s will be a good read; I think the Philips will have the edge, but we'll see. I am not as convinced of the outcome as Violeta though!
wink.gif
And I would love to see the 497s go against the Philips 890s as well, and I would love to do that comparison myself, if only the local Virgin store would help out by actually getting the 890s in stock...

I was also very interested in a SR-60 vs. HP890 comparison.
I am very much aware that you guys have to pay more for the HP890, but my point was that it would be interesting to see what you get in a budget headphone in different parts of the world.

Here in Denmark (and most of Europe I expect) Grados and Koss' are almost impossible to find and they are guarantied to be very expensive (just as the HP890 is in the US), unlike in the US...

p.s. I feel I've behaved quite well...
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 63
Indeed, Mumrik you have been a paradigm of virtue and restraint!
wink.gif
Indeed, most of Team Philips acquits itself quite well with articulate and even graceful responses. (Can you feel the love?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I am sorry that Grado is not more readily available in Europe, but you are not missing _too_ much from Koss's absence (probably only the KSC35, and maybe the Sporta/Porta Pros).

And I certainly don't want you Philips guys to feel persecuted! Even with widely differing opinions on 890s and Alicia Keys (the other recent slug fest that I saw) we should all stay friendly here. I hope all of this back and forth is in a sense of good fun for all...
tongue.gif

So Mumrik best regards to you and your headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif
Perhaps we could set up some sort of bilateral headphone exchange program: SR80s for 890s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back