New PC Music Server Build Project - All SSD - No Fans
Feb 26, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #91 of 136
I'm so impressed with these Elfidelity filters I just ordered this for $29
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111604480532

Elfidelity PCI/PCE-E Power Filtering Card  --- Effective Performance Enhancement of  Your PC  

More and more audiophiles use PC as their signal source in their audio system. Valab also highly rely on PC as signal source, recording and sound measurement. Using PC as in audio system have one major problem, PC use switching power supply as their power source. While switching power is quite noisy and sound very harsh! Out board sound/recording card using high quality independent power supply is a good solution. While in all case, we still need some on board device, like hard disc, and music signal still need to be processed on motherboard of PC.  
We find this amazing tool from ApeXi audio, it is a delicate and elegant capacitor tank board with 7 different type of capacitors build-in. This card can effectively absorb power noise and supply transient current for your PC. So you can obviously aware sound and video improvement. 
And you PC will be more stable. It is a low cost but effective investment for your PC. 

Features of This Power Filter Card :

1. 7 different type of capacitors build-in, for wide range noise absorbing.
2. Compatible for both PCI and PCI-E slots, please see last figure to see how to adapt PCI or PCI-E slots. 
3. All parts this card are high grade components, with great performance and durability. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #92 of 136
Reading CA on the CAPS v4 Maroubra and Bundoran:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/620-caps-v4-maroubra-and-bundoran/
Interesting quote:
This is the first time a CAPS design has been based on an Intel NUC. Part of me feels bad because there isn’t much to “design” when using the NUC platform, but I am more excited than anything because there is a lot of user demand of NUC based servers.​

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #93 of 136
  I'm so impressed with these Elfidelity filters I just ordered this for $29
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111604480532

I'm glad i found the Elfidelity filter cards in China and post the links on Head-Fi so we all can benefit from them 
wink_face.gif

Mine are still on the way from China because of the Chinese new year.

I'm glad they outperform the ridiculous high priced SOtM cards!

Thanks for your first impressions 
bigsmile_face.gif

Btw i'm very curious if the PCI-e/PCI filtercards fit in a low profile case since my AudioPC is a HP small form factor.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #95 of 136

Ok so educate me a little here.  I would use this card if I have a switching PSU and CPU fans?  If I have neither would this card still benefit me?

That's a good question.  I think it would - as it acts as a power filter within the power circuit of the MB itself.  If you are using a very expensive linear regulated PS then the benefits may not be noticed. 

YMMV - Only trying it would be the certain test.  But for the money I'm game.  The improvement made yesterday in the ease and natural flow of the music - has really impressed me.  I'd say a bit shocked.  So I ordered one to experiment.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #97 of 136

I'm glad i found the Elfidelity filter cards in China and post the links on Head-Fi so we all can benefit from them 
wink_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Btw i'm very curious if the PCI-e/PCI filtercards fit in a low profile case since my AudioPC is a HP small form factor.

+1 Hats off to you my friend for the tip on these over on the Gustard U12 thread.  The build qaulity and design is very impressive vs the SotM. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #98 of 136
  So does it come with drivers, does it hsve to be configured in the bios or is it just plug and play?

The cards only filters the ripple on the psu rails, all the cards can be used without drivers, they BUFFER the psu and FILTER the psu.

If you have a system with linear power supply and no fans in it, it still will be a nice upgrade. Your (external) linear psu will catch-up
some emi/rfi and also still has ripple on the power stages. The more you filter in power stages, the better.

The capacitors also work as a buffer, so if there's need for extra power, the memory, cpu, mainboard "gets" it very easily.

I am sure it will upgrade ANY system.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #99 of 136

+1 Hats off to you my friend for the tip on these over on the Gustard U12 thread.  The build qaulity and design is very impressive vs the SotM. 

Thank you for those nice words rb2013 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #100 of 136
  The cards only filters the ripple on the psu rails, all the cards can be used without drivers, they BUFFER the psu and FILTER the psu.

If you have a system with linear power supply and no fans in it, it still will be a nice upgrade. Your (external) linear psu will catch-up
some emi/rfi and also still has ripple on the power stages. The more you filter in power stages, the better.

The capacitors also work as a buffer, so if there's need for extra power, the memory, cpu, mainboard "gets" it very easily.

I am sure it will upgrade ANY system.

+1 Agree.
Look at the build quality on that board!  Wima, Nichicon Muse caps!  For $29 - ridiculously cheap.

It would be nice if they came out with their own MB - with that level of components.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #101 of 136

+1 Agree.
Look at the build quality on that board!  Wima, Nichicon Muse caps!  For $29 - ridiculously cheap.

It would be nice if they came out with their own MB - with that level of components.

I will order their USB card too, it has internal connector for psu and ALSO external connector for psu.
Quality seems also GREAT.

I always buy Gigabyte mainboards, they have special versions with better caps,,,,,
I agree, would be nice if they came out with their own mb!

Elfidelity produces also soundcards, and they do modify existing cards too.

Just take a look at their shop:  apexi.taobao.com

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #102 of 136

I will order their USB card too, it has internal connector for psu and ALSO external connector for psu.
Quality seems also GREAT.

I always buy Gigabyte mainboards, they have special versions with better caps,,,,,
I agree, would be nice if they came out with their own mb!

Elfidelity produces also soundcards, and they do modify existing cards too.

Just take a look at their shop:  apexi.taobao.com

Will look forward to your report on the USB PCI card.

Well I'm very happy with the Gustard U12 as a USB/PC interface - as you know already.
My 'soundcard' are a couple of heavily modded tubed R2R DACs/ NOS tubes.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #103 of 136

wink_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

I bought mine about 2 years ago, they've been around for a while and used to just sell under the Apexi brand. Since then it looks like they've made a "Monster" brand, and then after that an "Elfidelity" one. I don't have any pictures of my cards, but I got the "Pro" version like you see in this link.
http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/12049-apexi-power-filter-card-for-computer-audio-enhancement/

I forget what the differences in components was, but from the looks of it the new Elfidelity cards seem to be like the old "Pro" one. There's a LONG thread on user feedback over on the Phaser/XXhighend forums. The users over there had generally positive feedback, but then also mixed results too.

The two take-aways I got were :
#1. Let the cards burn in for a long time, and if possible just leave your computer on with them in it as opposed to turning your PC on a off all the time whenever you're going to listen.
#2. A few users said using 2 cards in 1 PC took something away from the sound. 

In the end I got 1 card each for my Control-PC and Audio-PC. I haven't had the system together since I got them, unfortunately, so I can't share my take on them yet.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #104 of 136
  Well what's just arrived - the Elfidelity filters.  Nice stuff - way cheaper then the SotM.

Well surgery went well - nice improvement in SQ!  Just a bit crisper - more depth to the sound.  Deeper bass as well.  Tone a bit richer.  

Well worth the $206:

Seasonic 520 fanless $137 delivered
2 - Elfidelity SATA filters $43 delivered ($21.50 Each)
2- Elfidelity PC fan filters $26 delivered ($11 each)

I am ordering the same for my other server.

Notice the SotM SATA and Fan filters (I replaced these with the Elfidelity's) - not nearly as extensive in build.  Plus the Elfidelity's have a better design - the SotM SATA filter stuck off the back of the drive to far, the E's fit nicely along the width of the drive..  And the Elfidelity Fan filter has a small, nicely shielded, cable - so the filter does not have to stick off the MB like the SotM.

SotM filters that got replaced.

Great report! I ordered 5 of the Monster(Elfidelity) SATA filters last year, I'm looking to put them in my music NAS when I've gotten it all together. The design vs. the SOtM filters is what brought me to them more so than the price. The SOtM ones have apparently undergone a revision since the one you have pictured so that now the drive can mount in the correct way and that the filter is now slightly flexible. However, I still like the up close and nestled design of the Elfidelity ones much more. I'm happy to hear they've done something for you. I look forward to adding them to my server soon.

I also ordered some RAM filters from Elfidelity, as well as some from another company that Paul Pang of PPA Studio sources his RAM filters from. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea if they'll work, but like rb2013 said, for the price there's not much to loose. Especially since here in China they're even a little cheaper.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #105 of 136

Great report! I ordered 5 of the Monster(Elfidelity) SATA filters last year, I'm looking to put them in my music NAS when I've gotten it all together. The design vs. the SOtM filters is what brought me to them more so than the price. The SOtM ones have apparently undergone a revision since the one you have pictured so that now the drive can mount in the correct way and that the filter is now slightly flexible. However, I still like the up close and nestled design of the Elfidelity ones much more. I'm happy to hear they've done something for you. I look forward to adding them to my server soon.

I also ordered some RAM filters from Elfidelity, as well as some from another company that Paul Pang of PPA Studio sources his RAM filters from. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea if they'll work, but like rb2013 said, for the price there's not much to loose. Especially since here in China they're even a little cheaper.

I wish I had room for the RAM filters as well - but all my slots are filled.  I'd like to try them as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elfidelity-PC-SDRAM-DDR3-Memory-DIMM-Power-Filter-Current-Booster-Card-/251849580687?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa367a08f

Users who are viewing this thread

Back