New Member Introductions thread
Jun 19, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #5,881 of 15,511
Hello, my name is Amber. I initially wasn't too much into music, but I did play the clarinet for a few years. Over time, I started listening to music and it felt dull, lifeless, not like how the musicians wanted it. So, I bought a decent $60 wireless/wired(it can do both easily) headphone. I also upgraded my music from 128kbps to 256kbps. Made a huge difference, but I still felt like something was missing. Most of the music was there, but when I played in the band, I could hear everything. The trumpets , the trombone, the melodies of it all with all of the nuances in it(sometimes a note would be slightly flat or sharp, when I heard violins play(not my band, but another) I could hear the strings being plucked.) I wanted my music to sound like that. Like I was near the instruments themselves and could hear everything. I was not willing to spend thousands though. I wanted something that sounded good, but wasn't super expensive. After searching hundreds of headphones, the HD650 seemed like a good choice for me. Bought them for $225(received them today) and downloaded a few flac files(knew the music well in mp3 player) to my computer. Put them on and I was blown away by how much more detail there was. I could tell I needed an amp(I already knew that I needed one), but this is a HUGE stepup to what I'm used to. I joined this forum hoping to meet people enthusiastic for music and audio quality. Sorry about the long post, but these headphones blew me away! Nice to meet everyone here as well :)

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #5,882 of 15,511
Hi, I'm Clarence. When I was young, my dad would blast his vinyl records out loud on his Class A tube amp (Audio Note, iirc) with passive speakers whenever my mom was not home. That got me started with having a keen ear for listening.

Many years later (and many years ago) I got my Westone UM3s, which rekindled the days of listening to great sounding music. That led my to buying a pair of Westone 3s and finally a HD650. Overtime, I lost interest and kept those aside. Save for my Westone 3s which I use on a daily basis.

And 10 years after owning my pair of HD650s I'm rekindling this interest. So here I am, this time round, I am getting myself a pair of JBL LSR305s and a Schiit Modi 2 Uber (the amp will come in later once I've saved up enough).

Been a long time lurker here but finally dipping my toes in the water.

So hello everyone!

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #5,883 of 15,511
Hi, I'm Clarence. When I was young, my dad would blast his vinyl records out loud on his Class A tube amp (Audio Note, iirc) with passive speakers whenever my mom was not home. That got me started with having a keen ear for listening.

Many years later (and many years ago) I got my Westone UM3s, which rekindled the days of listening to great sounding music. That led my to buying a pair of Westone 3s and finally a HD650. Overtime, I lost interest and kept those aside. Save for my Westone 3s which I use on a daily basis.

And 10 years after owning my pair of HD650s I'm rekindling this interest. So here I am, this time round, I am getting myself a pair of JBL LSR305s and a Schiit Modi 2 Uber (the amp will come in later once I've saved up enough).

Been a long time lurker here but finally dipping my toes in the water.

So hello everyone!

Great story! Welcome back :dt880smile:

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #5,884 of 15,511
Hi to everyone, I'm Liviu from Romania long time around but I have to start from somewhere. Consumer audiophile, is like never ending story :).
I buy often headphones (budget ones) and the total value of them instead I could buy a great one from the start, which make me feel uncomfortable (the same like for the DSLR lenses, better buy a great one from the beginning).
I hope to have a good time on this great community.Cheers

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #5,886 of 15,511
Hello everyone and thanks for letting me join.

My name is Gary, I live in the U.K. and have been a music fan pretty much my whole life. As well as listening, I enjoy making music - I'm a keen amateur guitarist and I have a go at singing too. I occasionally record and I'm fortunate enough to have a small room at home dedicated to music where I've made absorbing panels using acoustic density rockwool. Speakers in there are a pair of near field active monitors (Neumann 120's) which are driven by a Focusrite Sapphire interface. I've also got a pair of Senheisser HD650's and I'm very happy with this setup at home. My mobile setup needs work but I'll do a separate post about that as I need advice.

Music wise I enjoy a wide range. Particular favourites are Radiohead, Bombay Bicycle Club and Frightened Rabbit but I also dip into bits of Ryan Adams and Calexico. Anywhere in between and in other directions is possible - it's all good :)

Gary

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #5,887 of 15,511
Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker for quite a while but finally decided to create an account recently to hopefully make some meaningful contributions. I'm mostly an IEM guy but look forward to getting into the realm of full-sized cans and DAC's when I have enough money saved up.

Here's some of the gear I currently (or have) own(ed) -
IEM's
- EE Zeus XR Adel (ordered)
- Fitear ToGo! 334
- Shure SE535
- Zero Audio Carbo Tenore
- Monster Copper Turbine (Sold)

Closed-back On-Ear's
- Audeze Sine

DAC's / Amps
- Chord Hugo 2 / Mojo

As is clear, my wallet has definitely seen better days (Head-fi really isn't doing me any favors in this regard :wink: ). For music, I mostly listen to EDM, classical, and symphonic metal with a bit of jazz and rock thrown into the mix.

I definitely look forward to spending time on this fantastic community!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #5,888 of 15,511
Hello, my name is Amber. I initially wasn't too much into music, but I did play the clarinet for a few years. Over time, I started listening to music and it felt dull, lifeless, not like how the musicians wanted it. So, I bought a decent $60 wireless/wired(it can do both easily) headphone. I also upgraded my music from 128kbps to 256kbps. Made a huge difference, but I still felt like something was missing. Most of the music was there, but when I played in the band, I could hear everything. The trumpets , the trombone, the melodies of it all with all of the nuances in it(sometimes a note would be slightly flat or sharp, when I heard violins play(not my band, but another) I could hear the strings being plucked.) I wanted my music to sound like that. Like I was near the instruments themselves and could hear everything. I was not willing to spend thousands though. I wanted something that sounded good, but wasn't super expensive. After searching hundreds of headphones, the HD650 seemed like a good choice for me. Bought them for $225(received them today) and downloaded a few flac files(knew the music well in mp3 player) to my computer. Put them on and I was blown away by how much more detail there was. I could tell I needed an amp(I already knew that I needed one), but this is a HUGE stepup to what I'm used to. I joined this forum hoping to meet people enthusiastic for music and audio quality. Sorry about the long post, but these headphones blew me away! Nice to meet everyone here as well :)
Welcome, Amber! Glad you are enjoying your HD650. They are terrific, no doubt. I also own them and I love them. Again, welcome to Head-fi!

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #5,889 of 15,511
Hello everyone!

The name is Tim. I am mostly a computer tech guy, but as a software developer, I tend to listen to music all day long. Keeps me in the zone. Professionally I have been a software developer for 20 years and currently work for a very large well known restaurant company doing their website, android, and iOS applications.

I am both a technical and artful person. Being a software developer has let me do both. Now I haven't had the highest end audio gear over the years, but I have had few nice pieces. Currently my headphone gear I use consists of the following:

Monoprice m560
Monoprice 8323
Koss DJ pro 200s
V Moda M100s
Logitech UE 6000

I also have a large assortment of sorta working, but mostly cruddy,l gaming headsets. I basically have sworn off the headsets and use dedicated headphones with a condenser mic now when I am either gaming or chilling with people I know online across the world. I have lurked here off and on over the years, but haven't created an account until now. I mostly have frequented computer tech/geeks sites for the past few decades instead. However as I get older I strangely find I like to take more time to just enjoy music and compositions that I really didn't seem to be enthralled with as much when I was younger. Not that I didn't like music, but I wasn't as "into" it as I have been recently. It's hard to explain, but I think more than a few members on this forum can understand what I'm trying to express here.

While I would love to buy up tons of awesome hi-fi sound equipment, being a single income earner as the head of a family means I have to pick and choose a bit more wisely what I get myself. Which is a shame because there is a ton of stuff out on the market I would love to try out. C'est la vie.

While I'm not a fountain of knowledge on all things hi-fi audio, I am pretty knowledgeable on most things computer tech (hardware and software) related :) So maybe I can help others there while I try to soak up knowledge on my expanding hobby in the audio world. It helps I'm a gadget geek too :)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #5,893 of 15,511
Be prepared to get your mind (and ears) blown when you hit the $300 to $400 range of audio gear. ;D

Hi,

I am new here. I just realise I actually love browsing and trying (if i have the kaching) earpieces.

I am interested in earpiece with good microphones too so that I can sing with more ease on karaoke app.

All my earpiece are below $30 so far except for my Sennheiser one.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #5,894 of 15,511
Hi everyone!

I'm Ming, from Singapore, and I'm excited to see what I can learn and contribute here. I'm started my audio adventure in... what would be considered overseas as first year of high school. Made a friend, he taught me the basics of audio, and opened up my ears to greater things than stock earbuds. He also showed me this place, Head Fi, a one stop place to find reviews of pretty much any audio equipment available on the market. Needless to say, I've been browsing the forums for years, but never thought of making an account. I figured, might as well, since all I've been doing is reading off other people and not contributing myself :) Hope to help as much as I can!

My current audio setup (I'm a real budget guy) is:

Westone UMPRO10 IEM
Audio-Technica IM50 IEM
Fiio M3 DAP

My past audio setup (preowned and/or destroyed and/or broken) was:

Westone UM1 IEM (this was a very sad day for me)
Fiio X1 DAP (sold off because too bulky)
Hippo Mu DAP (tried to open it up to see the components inside, broke the thing in the process. Teardown post coming soon on here, hopefully!)
Sennheiser HD201 (good headphones, absolute lack of bass but very natural sound. Also $21 SGD.)
Hippo VB (pretty insane bass, prefer the ATH IM50 now though)
And a host of other cheap $1-$30 earphones and headphones whose names I cannot remember.

I'm still a real n00b in the realm of high end audio, but I hope to learn as much as I can, as time goes on. Go easy on me! :)

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #5,895 of 15,511
Hey all, i'm new, and i love messing around with stuff, so are ya ready for all my questions? :ksc75smile:

Actually my home setup pretty simple. Nice onkyo reeiver, with 2 infiniti speakers and polk audio sub, good enuf to me, even with digital music! Sounds great! However i do this stuff for extra work too with pa systems, announcing sports and things of that nature, THAT is where more of my questions will come from.

I am from Iowa by the way. Glad to meet u all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back