New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Nov 28, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #543 of 584
Just picked one of these up - a very nice portable dac/amp. My Windows 7 PC won't recognize the drivers, however. Is this a known issue?

You have to manually download the drivers from ibasso website

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #545 of 584
I'm familiar with the process - I used to own the Chord Mojo and Oppo HA-2.

My computer won't recognize the driver software, however.

I guess I'll hit up ibasso customer service.

Strange

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #546 of 584
Just picked one of these up - a very nice portable dac/amp. My Windows 7 PC won't recognize the drivers, however. Is this a known issue?

You may want to try finding the iBasso in the Device Manager and see if you can force the drivers to install by uninstalling the device and starting over.
I've seen issues with Windows 8 & 10 where it was necessary to disable 'driver signature verification' so it could be something similar.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #547 of 584
So, my D14 arrived yesterday, I've been looking for a DAC to pair with my AK100, as I've never been that happy with the stock sound of it's Wolfson DAC. Well what can I say, thoroughly blown away by what I'm hearing through my AKG K550s, I know it's cliched, but I'm hearing details in tracks I know extremely well that I've never heard before, can't wait to hear how it sounds after it has burnt in some. So pleased with this amazing DAC!

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #548 of 584
What do I specifically need to buy to make the D14 work with an iPhone 6?

I am not an Apple guy.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #550 of 584
Many thanks!

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #551 of 584
Hello-
 I am looking into portable DAC/amps for use mostly with a Fiio X5ii & MacBookPro laptop using iTunes. Does the D14 still have the channel imbalance that is mentioned earlier in this thread? Can anyone describe it? I am using modded Grado & Grado style cans, no IEMs. Also, are there any suggestions if the D14 is not ideal for the X5 & Mac?

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #552 of 584
Does the D14 still have the channel imbalance that is mentioned earlier in this thread? Can anyone describe it?

2 potential answers to this query... You can judge for yourselves whether they are valid :-

1) Typically all amp potentiometers will have channel imbalance below a certain low volume... This is by a technical reality of amplifiers not unique to the D14 amp. So you would need to listen past the 9 O' clock position to get past this.

2) Actually I am getting a channel imbalance when using the D14 amp. This only occurs when using the Amp/Headphone port not the lineout/AUX port. However I'm using the D14 in an unorthodox implementation rather what it was mainly intended. I'm using the D14 as a DAC/Pre-Amp before the audio chain goes into a line-in of a FiiO A5. This also means the volume of the D14 is run constantly at 80%+ As a result, the 2000mAh battery does not last very long. This also results in a 3% channel bias to the left. I've compensated for this by adjusting my RockBox DAP settings & hooked another USB battery into my rig.
This does not occur if the D14 amp is used to directly drive the intended headphones; I've tested this on an Allen & Heath Sound-Desk. IBasso can therefore easily say that there is not a problem with D14 as it was designed to drive headphones directly not drive another amp. Besides anyone listening at 80%+ constantly would risk serious hearing damage...

So if you intend to use Source MAC/X5 -> D14 -> Grados... You should be fine as the D14's strengths is its versatility ... You would need to audition to see whether the D14 sound signature works with the Grados particularly in the treble & any potential fatigue.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #554 of 584
2 potential answers to this query... You can judge for yourselves whether they are valid :-

1) Typically all amp potentiometers will have channel imbalance below a certain low volume... This is by a technical reality of amplifiers not unique to the D14 amp. So you would need to listen past the 9 O' clock position to get past this.

2) Actually I am getting a channel imbalance when using the D14 amp. This only occurs when using the Amp/Headphone port not the lineout/AUX port. However I'm using the D14 in an unorthodox implementation rather what it was mainly intended. I'm using the D14 as a DAC/Pre-Amp before the audio chain goes into a line-in of a FiiO A5. This also means the volume of the D14 is run constantly at 80%+ As a result, the 2000mAh battery does not last very long. This also results in a 3% channel bias to the left. I've compensated for this by adjusting my RockBox DAP settings & hooked another USB battery into my rig.
This does not occur if the D14 amp is used to directly drive the intended headphones; I've tested this on an Allen & Heath Sound-Desk. IBasso can therefore easily say that there is not a problem with D14 as it was designed to drive headphones directly not drive another amp. Besides anyone listening at 80%+ constantly would risk serious hearing damage...

So if you intend to use Source MAC/X5 -> D14 -> Grados... You should be fine as the D14's strengths is its versatility ... You would need to audition to see whether the D14 sound signature works with the Grados particularly in the treble & any potential fatigue.

Thanks ceemsc. I was not aware that a channel imbalance is common among all portable amps. Unfortunately, It would be difficult for me to get to listen to any amp before ordering one. I'll have to do some research, but it seems like the D14 is the right choice, considering my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back