New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Jun 24, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #346 of 2,616
Here is reply I got when I contacted HiBy marketing about the R6, which seems to be an actual HiBy brand DAP :

Thank you for your interest! We are still developing the player; as soon as we have more details and/or English promotional material, we'll let you know.

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung (aka Joe Bloggs on head-fi)
HiByMusic team member

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #347 of 2,616
The AP200 is using HiBy music player software... HIDIZS folks said to think of the A6 as advertising for their AP60. Also according to HIDIZS, HiBy is "involved" in the production of Most Chinese DAP's ...

info via facebook messenger with HIDIZS...

Yes, none of the manufacturers (FiiO, Cayin, Shanling, Hidizs, Questyle, Eros) made it a secret they cooperate with Hiby :wink:, in both hardware and software development and manufacturing. That explains many similarities of internal components and fw/sw interfaces (especially setup/config menus in non-android DAPs). But manufacturers do their own exterior customizations to distinguish the look, and they contribute to analog part of the circuit with their expertise. Not sure about the A6 which definitely has the same exterior design as AP60 and internal functionality similar to N3 and M2s (dual Bluetooth and dual usb interface being one of the examples). Who knows, maybe R6 will look like AP200 :D Just my opinion, but Hiby involvement has a significant value because it helps these manufacturers to have a product faster to the market, adds sw/fw support which smaller manufacturers can't afford full time, thus helping these manufacturers to focus on other parts of the design, including the sound.

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #348 of 2,616
Yes, none of the manufacturers (FiiO, Cayin, Shanling, Hidizs, Questyle, Eros) made it a secret they cooperate with Hiby :wink:, in both hardware and software development and manufacturing. That explains many similarities of internal components and fw/sw interfaces (especially setup/config menus in non-android DAPs). But manufacturers do their own exterior customizations to distinguish the look, and they contribute to analog part of the circuit with their expertise. Not sure about the A6 which definitely has the same exterior design as AP60 and internal functionality similar to N3 and M2s (dual Bluetooth and dual usb interface being one of the examples). Who knows, maybe R6 will look like AP200 :D Just my opinion, but Hiby involvement has a significant value because it helps these manufacturers to have a product faster to the market, adds sw/fw support which smaller manufacturers can't afford full time, thus helping these manufacturers to focus on other parts of the design, including the sound.

See photos of R6 here... https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...-dual-dac-balanced-output-coming-soon.852042/ Not the same as AP200

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #349 of 2,616

I agree with you, it is nice seeing people working together! The better final product they can bring to us, the customers, the better it is for everybody!

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #352 of 2,616
I hope so, that would be an awesome feature

Well, N3 and M2s support it, both with Hiby fw. So, hopefully AP200 will do too, though it's an android DAP and I haven't seen X5iii to support it yet.

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #353 of 2,616
Just received a pre-production AP200 from Hidizs and have formed some brief impressions on the device. I have the X5 III and X7 to compare with in addition to the Oppo HA-2 and Chord Mojo. Take note that the device is not finished though Hidizs have some work to do:"

Just saw that HIDIZS sent has new firmware release for Early Testers... When you install, please let us know your impressions ! Thanks !

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #354 of 2,616
IMG_5336.JPG

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #355 of 2,616
Just saw that HIDIZS sent has new firmware release for Early Testers... When you install, please let us know your impressions ! Thanks !

I don't think that would be appropriate as the product is still in development and any impressions wouldn't be meaningful or fair. I'm not sure, but I believe the testers may have an agreement with HIDIZS not to make these kinds of disclosures, which is perfectly reasonable at this stage. Everyone needs to be more patient. I'm as excited about this player as anyone, but it just isn't ready yet. This testing program is a good way to get it there as quickly as possible.

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #356 of 2,616
I don't think that would be appropriate as the product is still in development and any impressions wouldn't be meaningful or fair. I'm not sure, but I believe the testers may have an agreement with HIDIZS not to make these kinds of disclosures, which is perfectly reasonable at this stage. Everyone needs to be more patient. I'm as excited about this player as anyone, but it just isn't ready yet. This testing program is a good way to get it there as quickly as possible.

Look I'm willing to wait for a complete review, But would like to understand how the firmware work is going... What's being improved, etc. Is that too much to ask ???

And so the impression would be " This firmware update has improved the audio" or " this update did nothing for audio quality" ? Or are you guys doing this testing unwilling, (or unable by contract with HIDZS?), to offer anything about the firmware upgrades? I mean, one of folks with an AP200 already posted an early review here. What's wrong with seeing the progress?

HIDIZS is the one that mentioned that a new firmware was available. I was just hoping that folks with the AP200 already could help us understand what is being worked on/improved...

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #357 of 2,616
Look I'm willing to wait for a complete review, But would like to understand how the firmware work is going... What's being improved, etc. Is that too much to ask ???

And so the impression would be " This firmware update has improved the audio" or " this update did nothing for audio quality" ? Or are you guys doing this testing unwilling, (or unable by contract with HIDZS?), to offer anything about the firmware upgrades? I mean, one of folks with an AP200 already posted an early review here. What's wrong with seeing the progress?

HIDIZS is the one that mentioned that a new firmware was available. I was just hoping that folks with the AP200 already could help us understand what is being worked on/improved...

Nothing "wrong" with it exactly. Just that it probably isn't the final firmware, or maybe hardware, so any info probably wouldn't be meaningful. Of course its up to the testers to what they are willing to divulge, but I do think there may be an agreement in place regarding that. If somebody stated, for example. "the firmware has not improved stability" or "no improvement in audio quality" , that might generate unwarranted negativity towards the product because it is still in development and changes are still going to be made. That wouldn't be fair to HIDIZS and would likely discourage them and anyone else from going this route, and follow what seems to be the standard practice of letting the crowdfunders be the testers, after shelling out money for the product. I'd rather get a stable good sounding player from the start, and this kind of program is the best way to do it. You could try PM'ing one of the testers, or HIDIZS, maybe you'll get more info that way, maybe not. But I don't see any value in the information until the unit is complete. Its valuable to HIDIZS in development work, but not really to us at this point. My opinion that is.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #358 of 2,616
Understand what you are saying.. And do agree with wanting to see a review of the final product! But it's not here yet...

And as the "final" unit won't be out before the Kickstarter starts, I am looking for any info that can help make the decision to fund or not. And info from testers would be a great addition to what HIDIZS presents.

I am confused, as at least one Tester has already done a review here. So If there is some agreement with HIDIZS they broke it?

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #359 of 2,616
Actually, after re-reading the thread there may not be an agreement, although someone did mention one. I read the review you mentioned. It wasn't all that flattering, but the unit is still pretty early in development, as the reviewer mentioned, and personally I would not have posted a review. Maybe its up to each tester how much they divulge. I personally wouldn't divulge much more than pictures of the unit, until all the work and improvements are completed. Hidizs stated these are not review units they are development units, basically maybe a a bit more than a prototype.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #360 of 2,616
Actually, after re-reading the thread there may not be an agreement, although someone did mention one. I read the review you mentioned. It wasn't all that flattering, but the unit is still pretty early in development, as the reviewer mentioned, and personally I would not have posted a review. Maybe its up to each tester how much they divulge. I personally wouldn't divulge much more than pictures of the unit, until all the work and improvements are completed. Hidizs stated these are not review units they are development units, basically maybe a a bit more than a prototype.

Of course you are 100% right ! I have no opinions, questions or ideas worth posting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back