New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
May 23, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #201 of 2,616
That's a good general question for all dap makers right now...

AptxHD has not found a lot of industry support...

But the upcoming Bluetooth 5.x Audio Standard will be better and not require APTX or other specialized software.. It will be available in about 1 year... (the Bluetooth 5.0 on Samsung s8 does NOT yet have the audio data rate upgrade...)

Expect APTX5 (When the audio portion is active a year from now) to allow better than CD quality bandwidth. i.e. 2X to 4x current Bluetooth 4.x audio data rates. It will likely become the standard for low power wireless devices.

WIFI will still allow higher data rates, but takes a lot more power.

Unfortunately, it may not be a software upgrade from BT 4.x to BT 5.x And both sending and receiving devices need the 5.x audio to transmit at better than CD rates...

So in about 1 year, we will all want BT 5.x... And when phones have it, 99% of people will not need an earphone jack to enjoy cd+ quality audio ! (And APTX will likely disappear)

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #206 of 2,616
which by the way leads to the question why they did not implement AptX HD for the AP200. Any technical/hardware limitations?

as long as BT can transmit 16/44.1 everything is fine as there there is no audible difference then anymore beyond that.
Why bother with the AptX HD then?:) Anyway, there is hardly a Bluetooth headphones model that supports the AptX HD technology, which brings to nought the implementation of the AptX HD in the AP200. Still, AptX HD might just turn out a marketing trick with no real advantage over a conventional AptX...

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #207 of 2,616
yeah....DAP makers don't need to implement AptX HD because there are no heaphones for it. Headphone makers don't see the necesity because hardly any DAPs or phones having it.
Hen and egg...
Same with USB-C connectors. All keep the outdated MicroUSB because nobody wants to step forward. I am surprised that we have electricity nowadays with that thinking...

May 24, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #209 of 2,616
USB-C I want to see on every new DAP
While there is nothing bad in equipping each modern DAP with a USB-C port, I'm more concerned with the real transfer rates that built-in card readers of DAPs provide. For example, I have an "obsolete" USB 2.0 port on my old Ibasso DX 90. With that, the resulting actual speed of writing to my Transcend Class 10 300x (45 MB/s) microSD card, with the card inserted into the DAP and the DAP connected to my PC via its USB port (whether I plug the DAP into USB 2.0 or 3.0 port on my PC does not make any difference), is puny 4.5 MB/s. So, with the theoretical maximum of 480 Mbit/s, which is 60 MB/s, for the USB 2.0 I get only 4.5 MB/s in real life. I mean, if a DAP manufacturer equips its product with the most up-to-date USB interface it should also use a high-speed card reader as well as high-speed internal memory for this USB interface to be of any use...It's a pity that real maximum transfer rates when using microSD cards are rarely if at all specified by DAP manufacturers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back