New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #721 of 1,792
Doesn't seem so bad. But it is slower for sure. Must have heavier scripts or something. The old forum was much faster.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #722 of 1,792
how do you send a private message to another member?
Click the member, then click the postings tab, then see start a private conversation.
The old forum was all in pone place, no tabs. Can't see the point in the tabs. I bet the software is out of the box, not custom, so maybe they had to use it as is?

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #723 of 1,792
how do you send a private message to another member?

- Click on the member

- Go to their information tab

- Scroll down to see 'Start a Private Message'

Edit: Crosspost!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #724 of 1,792
Where did you find the privacy settings? I looked all over my profile and couldn't find it.

Also, it seems that on mobile, quoting is messed up. Clicking the quote button leads to a "added to multi quote" message with no actual quote in the comment box. I have to open the quote link in a new tab to quote someone.

The quote button is now the multi-quote button, and going down to the reply box, you will see a Insert Quote button on the left side. That will insert the selected quotes into your reply. This also works site-wide, so you can multi-quote a post from one thread, and insert it this way into a post to another thread. The Reply button immediately insert the post into the reply box as a quote. However, on mobile, the insert quote function gives an undefined security error (the staff have responded above saying that they have attempted to fix this, but I still have it). Works fine on desktop.

Doesn't seem so bad. But it is slower for sure. Must have heavier scripts or something. The old forum was much faster.

It is much faster for me now (although I have a lot of elements hidden). Regardless of whether or not I had elements hidden or not, the bottleneck on the previous version of the site was always YUI, and since the site has switched from Huddler to Xenforo, this is no longer an issue.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #725 of 1,792
Click the member, then click the postings tab, then see start a private conversation.
The old forum was all in pone place, no tabs. Can't see the point in the tabs. I bet the software is out of the box, not custom, so maybe they had to use it as is?

A lot of the headache would go away if the Information tab was the default navigation when a user's avatar is clicked.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #726 of 1,792

I think this is stock Xenforo behaviour. To be honest, a lot of the weirdness seems to be from custom stuff, because stock Xenforo is typically not this bad (particularly the layout). I don't mind the tabs.

A lot of the headache would go away if the Information tab was the default navigation when a user's avatar is clicked.

Public posts being the new focus for profile pages is not entirely bad, although I did put a lot of effort into my profile info to make it funny so it is a shame to see it hidden away.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #727 of 1,792
Where did you find the privacy settings? I looked all over my profile and couldn't find it.
On Desktop mode, if you click on the Account Alerts counter at the top-right corner, you can access your Privacy and Preferences on the left-hand side-bar. Alternatively you can click the tiny icon next to the thread's path bar:

They're buried in a really non-intuitive place.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #728 of 1,792
In Old Europe there is a saying: "Better is the enemy of Good". The old site was sooo good, and I miss it sooo much!

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #729 of 1,792
Rather than just list my pet bugs-that-need fixing, I just want to say this: Jude's post above was literally the first thing I've seen that even 1/2-way attempts to explain what happened to Head-Fi this week. And it's a great relief to realize there's someone at the wheel...and a rationale for what felt like a tremendous UI sandbagging (at the time).

Make no mistake, I really love Head-Fi. I spend more time here, and have learne far more than anywhere else--ever. I've bought & sold numerous items on Head-Fi, posted many things, read countless posts & reviews, and made friends here.. In a general sense, Head-Fi has been my own personal "Headphone Audio University" (free tuition/no room & board required). I've been involved in audio since the early 1980's, but until ~1 1/2 yrs ago, headphone audio was alien territoryd. Now it's an absolutely necessary element of my music enjoyment & computing profile.

All to say I'm still here; I'm going nowhere.

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #731 of 1,792
The Noble banners aren't showing anymore for me. Out of curiosity, I switched to a second browser to see what showed when I'm logged out. Still no Noble banners. But a banner did show for a subwoofer I viewed recently in the first browser...so the cookies (or whatever) are tracking stuff I do from different browsers?

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #732 of 1,792
I looked but can't find where to set a custom title. OK gang, spill the beans.

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #734 of 1,792
@AxelCloris this may have been brought up before. I haven't read through this thread TBH. But the for sale forum...ugh. MANY of my old listings which have been closed are re-opened. People are PMing me to buy things I've long since sold.

ALL of my saved PM's are now in one massive inbox. I had saved everything into custom folders (ie SOLD items, PURCHASED items, beta testing, review questions, and on and on). Are the custom folders coming back or are they gone forever?

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #735 of 1,792
The Noble banners aren't showing anymore for me. Out of curiosity, I switched to a second browser to see what showed when I'm logged out. Still no Noble banners. But a banner did show for a subwoofer I viewed recently in the first browser...so the cookies (or whatever) are tracking stuff I do from different browsers?
You mean, you have a lot of Noble Audio hidden? :D
I don't see the Noble banners anymore as well.

Actually, I tried to profile the load times for pages (with or without certain elements being hidden/blocked), and more time seemed to be spent loading web fonts than anything else.

I looked but can't find where to set a custom title. OK gang, spill the beans.
For me, it was sniffing a cat. I can't recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back