NEW Fostex TR-70, TR-80 & TR-90
Nov 24, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #76 of 120
just found this thread,  

n read the obituary :p

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #77 of 120

Planar can sound really bad. Planar are generally smooth, planar are heavy, it's a unique technology that has special - the technology - not the sound! (Audeze EL8C (good sound) vs LCD4 (smooth) )

So are you saying the EL8C or LCD4 are bad?

For me personally planar technology has a very unique sound, a fuller sound with generally cleaner bass that seems effortless compared to dynamic drivers.  Clearly dynamic drivers can sound great such as the HD800s or the HD600/650 but I still prefer planar sound in general.

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #78 of 120

For me personally planar technology has a very unique sound, a fuller sound with generally cleaner bass that seems effortless compared to dynamic drivers.  Clearly dynamic drivers can sound great such as the HD800s or the HD600/650 but I still prefer planar sound in general.

I think planars lack musicality mainly because they fail to do treble well. It's an inherent problem with planar technology.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #79 of 120

I think planars lack musicality mainly because they fail to do treble well. It's an inherent problem with planar technology.

Exactly! 

Planars work well for bass and mids, not so much for treble...

EL8C has spikey treble that slightly roll off, but is listenable, while LCD4 doesn't have enough treble, it is so super smooth like a headphone that is made of butter.  

It depends a lot on what people listen for in music, many many people love planar sound,and many actually praise this unique sound they boast, it's just not the sound for me 
biggrin.gif

Knowing what you're looking for is the first step to getting a sweet setup that you love. So many people love planar that maybe I'm the odd one for wanting a headphone with more bite up top. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #82 of 120
I'm surprised no one is talking about these headphones yet? Does anyone here have any opinions on them? What they compare to etc?

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #83 of 120
  I'm surprised no one is talking about these headphones yet? Does anyone here have any opinions on them? What they compare to etc?

Couldn't really get a good listen to them in Romania but from my short experience, they were nothing special. 

I would need a demo sample to experiment with, EQ and so on to have a clearer impression. 

EDIT::: The thing is that I got a Classiics 99 from Meze in the meanwhile and it kinda saturated the need for a headphone, especially in this price range. 99C + EQ can compete with ie800 when it comes to textures, so I didn't feel that compelled to hear those fostex anymore 
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #85 of 120
I've decided to add my 2 cents regarding TR-90. I've received these babies a few days ago and all I can say is WOW! Before I explain what I mean I should tell you that my own ears are definitely disagree with some of opinions. I think TR-90s is absolute steal for the money I paid for them. They sound fabulous but... you need a bit of adjustment to make them sing.
All you really need is Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads (https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/) and perhaps V-Moda audio cable. Once all is there you pretty much get an HD800-like headphone. No, they won't exceed the HD800 in any area but they get god damn close. I'm really serious about it. The sound is very clean (not fatiguing), high are smooth and clean, mids are rich and full and the bass is also full and very well controlled, separation and the soundstage are really great. With good tube amp (I use Inspire IHA-1) these headphones sound special.

The IHA-1, is it an OTL tube amp?

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #87 of 120
No more impressions on the TR-90s? I do hope that the TR series are as good as the RP series (in terms of price/performance, and mod potential)

I heard them recently actually. 

At their price point, my personal taste made many other headphone a better fit with my tastes. Try Meze Classics 99 for example. Far better texture rendering, better sounstage. The entire TR series came of as a bit veiled in comparison. 

I am kinda sorry to say this actually because I wanted to like the TR series - especially given how well perceived some Fostex models were. 

The sound is not very fast, not very detailed, not very airy, not very well extended in the treble. On the other hand, they are not harsh, they are not congested and they are not bad headphones at all. 

Didn't impress me much though. 

Might impress someone who wants alternatives to bass heavy headphones like Senn Urbanite or Monster headphones or Beats and such. 

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #88 of 120
I am really sorry to hear all the negative results for the TR90, I have a pair and to begin with they sounded fair, but recently I bit the bullet, cut the cable and fitted a TRRS plug and now use them balanced with my Lotoo Paw 5k and they absolutely sing. They also need a good bit of running in, I have the 250 ohm version and they drive beautifully from the Paw. Like the Soundmagic Hp150/200,s, give them a chance, run them in and just listen, you might be amazed!

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #89 of 120
I heard them recently actually.

At their price point, my personal taste made many other headphone a better fit with my tastes. Try Meze Classics 99 for example. Far better texture rendering, better sounstage. The entire TR series came of as a bit veiled in comparison.

I am kinda sorry to say this actually because I wanted to like the TR series - especially given how well perceived some Fostex models were.

The sound is not very fast, not very detailed, not very airy, not very well extended in the treble. On the other hand, they are not harsh, they are not congested and they are not bad headphones at all.

Didn't impress me much though.

Might impress someone who wants alternatives to bass heavy headphones like Senn Urbanite or Monster headphones or Beats and such.
I just ordered a pair of these. I got them for a good price so I said why not. @Dobrescu George your posted has got me not expecting much from them, lol.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #90 of 120
I just ordered a pair of these. I got them for a good price so I said why not. @Dobrescu George your posted has got me not expecting much from them, lol.

Woah, now that I revisited them, they are not bad at all :darthsmile:

Seems that I was having a bad day more than the series themselves were bad, totally a mistake on my side :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back