NEW Fostex TR-70, TR-80 & TR-90
Aug 22, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #61 of 120
Isn't x5ii built in amp can drive up to 300 Ohms?

Theoretically it can drive 600 OHM headphones very well, but there are odd cases where a headphone, even with low impedance, needs a lot of juice 
biggrin.gif

I'm still very curious on comparations between TR-80 (the closed back ones) and Ultrasone, eventually other headphones. Been reading through this thread. i'm using ie800 as my daily IEM, I probably want something with a similar tonality, and I can chose between an Ultrasone 880 and TR-80 right now, without testing first 
beyersmile.png

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #62 of 120

Theoretically it can drive 600 OHM headphones very well, but there are odd cases where a headphone, even with low impedance, needs a lot of juice 
biggrin.gif

I'm still very curious on comparations between TR-80 (the closed back ones) and Ultrasone, eventually other headphones. Been reading through this thread. i'm using ie800 as my daily IEM, I probably want something with a similar tonality, and I can chose between an Ultrasone 880 and TR-80 right now, without testing first 
beyersmile.png

Well, I have x5 1st gen and it can drive TR-90/250 with no problems. Although, I usually use my x5 with Cayin C5 amp, which is even better :wink:
Unfortunately, I've never heard TR-80 or Ultrasone.

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #66 of 120
If these are not planar, they are probably nothing too special.  There are tons of similar dynamic headphones in this price range.

I'm definitely more interested in their "planar" models

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #68 of 120
  I finally got the Fostex TR80-250 and found them quite nice, rich, deep.  But I couldn't find the closed back nice.  So I decided to help them with some touch.  Considering the orange cable I found the original Zebrano wood veneer could be the proper one.  So...  see how they look, on black iMac or white Eames.

Lol, it's beautiful 

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #69 of 120
I love everything about my T50RP MK III from the build (excluding the pads) to the sound signature but am looking for a closed-back option for work environments. I know I can just get a T40RP but I would like to experience something different from the Fostex lineup. I am interested in the TR-80 250Ohm. My concern is that I am sensitive to treble and originally found the T50RP a bit irritating a high volume with certain tracks. Although I did get used to it, I would say it's at the limit of what I can withstand. I also have the Beyer DT 990 which I can't handle at high volumes without EQing it a little bit in the 6-8khz range.

I see a few comments about this TR series being treble cannons, can anyone else comment on this?

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #70 of 120
I love everything about my T50RP MK III from the build (excluding the pads) to the sound signature but am looking for a closed-back option for work environments. I know I can just get a T40RP but I would like to experience something different from the Fostex lineup. I am interested in the TR-80 250Ohm. My concern is that I am sensitive to treble and originally found the T50RP a bit irritating a high volume with certain tracks. Although I did get used to it, I would say it's at the limit of what I can withstand. I also have the Beyer DT 990 which I can't handle at high volumes without EQing it a little bit in the 6-8khz range.

I see a few comments about this TR series being treble cannons, can anyone else comment on this?

Try the TH 7B

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #71 of 120
Try the TH 7B

I was wanting full-size and something that could stand up to abuse. I decided to take a chance on the TR-80 250. Whether or not I decide to keep it I will be publishing a full review. Curious to see how it fairs against my beloved DT 770. People seem to hate on the treble of the 770 but I've always loved it. Hopefully I like the TR-80 too so I can keep one each for home/work.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #72 of 120
  If these are not planar, they are probably nothing too special.  There are tons of similar dynamic headphones in this price range.

The type of driver technology used is a fairly insignificant factor in the overall performance of a headphone. That's like saying Usain Bolt is fast because he's tall. It takes much more than that to achieve greatness.

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #73 of 120

The type of driver technology used is a fairly insignificant factor in the overall performance of a headphone. That's like saying Usain Bolt is fast because he's tall. It takes much more than that to achieve greatness.

Finally....a voice of reason on Head-Fi.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #74 of 120

Planar can sound really bad. Planar are generally smooth, planar are heavy, it's a unique technology that has special - the technology - not the sound! (Audeze EL8C (good sound) vs LCD4 (smooth) )

Technology does matter - dynamic drivers are actually the best technology to date if used correctly. For example HD800 or ie800 from Sennheiser both use dynamic driver technology. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #75 of 120

Well I got the TR-80-250 earlier this week. I was disappointed at the build of these. They looked great in the photos. I was expecting it would be at least on par with the less expensive RP series but the plastics are a step down. Although the headband appears the same it's not as solid, and neither are the metal posts. Holding it side by side with the T50RP it does not feel as substantial. I couldn't stand how they sounded or felt with the angled pads that came pre-installed. The standard pads sound better but I still don't like them as much as the velour HM5's I got for my T50RP. With glasses on I don't get the best seal either, partly because of the low clamping force. I also found the adjustment portion a bit loose to the point where it would slide up/down on the posts during normal use, forcing me to keep re-adjusting them. I might try tightening the screws to deal with this.

Sound wise it's definitely more V-shaped than the T50RP. However, I am really enjoying it and find it to be a great higher energy compliment to more neutral cans. The signature is akin to the DT770 but more transparent in the treble. The treble is very revealing without being overly bright to my ears. The bass rivals the 770 in terms of shear impact, but I think the 770 stays a bit more composed. Overall I don't think this new TR series will make much noise in this very competitive segment, mostly because of the sub-par build. I was surprised by this coming from the fantastic build of the RP series. Not quite sure if I will be keeping them or not.

UPDATE: Tightening the screws did allow me to dial in the "tightness" of the adjustment to fix that problem. But I still had seal issues. I determined it was not sealing behind the ears due to the cups being slightly "toed" in towards the front. This made the front get more of the clamping force than the rear. Unfortunately there was no fix for this so I am sending them back. Note, the seal is fine with the angled pads as they are thicker on the backside behind the ears. But I did not enjoy how they sounded with those pads, too boomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back