New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 28, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #3,466 of 5,077
Hi everyone! Been doing a lot of searching and reading and have learned a LOT from this forum, so thanks for that for starters.

Now to my (i'm sure noob) question/issue. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus with a DFR connected via the USB 3 to Camera adapter that has been most recently recommended. I read here that somewhere on here that the VLC player is one of the apps of choice for playing 96/24 flac files. So... I downloaded a copy of Beethoven's 9th in 96/24 FLAC and have been trying to play it... my DFR continues to only show green light.

Is something wrong with my setup? Do I need to use a different app?

Thanks for your help!
MY understanding is that VLC may not do what you want. Onkyo’s HF Player is supposed to support all the bit rates that the DFR handles... Think there is another one that ios folks are using, but I'm not an iphone owner. hope that helps some. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,469 of 5,077
I've tried 2 Apple USB3 CCK with my 7 Plus, incase the first was faulty, but no luck.

The problem is that after 30 seconds or so of music playback with a DragonFly Black USB DAC attached, the audio will cut out, but the DAC will display that there is still power and that it is processing. The Apple Music app will also continue to display that the song is still playing. Just no audio.

Searched many online forums, including a 100-odd page thread based solely on the DFB/R DAC itself with no other similar issues cropping up.

The supplied lightning to jack adapter provided by apple works fine, no cutouts, and I'm not using high impedance cans or anything like that. Returning the DFB and using the provided adapter isn't a solution either as the sound quality is trash.

Restarting the phone hasn't changed anything either. The DFB works completely fine with my MBA too.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My last resort would be to factory reset with iTunes and NOT restore from any backups.

May 29, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #3,470 of 5,077
I've tried 2 Apple USB3 CCK with my 7 Plus, incase the first was faulty, but no luck.

The problem is that after 30 seconds or so of music playback with a DragonFly Black USB DAC attached, the audio will cut out, but the DAC will display that there is still power and that it is processing. The Apple Music app will also continue to display that the song is still playing. Just no audio.

Searched many online forums, including a 100-odd page thread based solely on the DFB/R DAC itself with no other similar issues cropping up.

The supplied lightning to jack adapter provided by apple works fine, no cutouts, and I'm not using high impedance cans or anything like that. Returning the DFB and using the provided adapter isn't a solution either as the sound quality is trash.

Restarting the phone hasn't changed anything either. The DFB works completely fine with my MBA too.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My last resort would be to factory reset with iTunes and NOT restore from any backups.

Are you using iOS 10.3.x? If so, join the club. :triportsad:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7932507?start=0&tstart=0

Many reports of this problem with a range of DACs on this forum.

May 29, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #3,471 of 5,077
Are you using iOS 10.3.x? If so, join the club. :triportsad:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7932507?start=0&tstart=0

Many reports of this problem with a range of DACs on this forum.

Ah wow, couldn't find that thread even after hours of searching. Thank you. And yes I'm on 10.3.2, just upgraded from 10.3.1.

So it's existed through 2 iOS revisions now, with 10.3.3 around the corner, not holding my breath for a fix anytime soon :/ Probably a "feature" of iOS 11...

May 29, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,472 of 5,077
Ah wow, couldn't find that thread even after hours of searching. Thank you. And yes I'm on 10.3.2, just upgraded from 10.3.1.

So it's existed through 2 iOS revisions now, with 10.3.3 around the corner, not holding my breath for a fix anytime soon :/ Probably a "feature" of iOS 11...

So everyone using 10.3.2 Can't use their DFR or DFB? Is it really that bad?

May 29, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #3,475 of 5,077
So everyone using 10.3.2 Can't use their DFR or DFB? Is it really that bad?

Reading through various threads it seems as though 10.3.2 eliminated and/or mitigated the problem for some users. It also seems that the more services you turn off while listening (WiFi/cellular/maybe location and bluetooth) the less likely you are to have the problem.

I'm fortunate enough to have seen reports before I moved off 10.2.

May 29, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #3,476 of 5,077

Might I suggest that you express your feelings on the Apple forum?

May 29, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #3,477 of 5,077
Reading through various threads it seems as though 10.3.2 eliminated and/or mitigated the problem for some users. It also seems that the more services you turn off while listening (WiFi/cellular/maybe location and bluetooth) the less likely you are to have the problem.

I'm fortunate enough to have seen reports before I moved off 10.2.

I use all of those features regularly sadly, but luckily I'm always near my MBA when listening to music. Just sucks for listening when out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back