New - Cowon Plenue S
Feb 28, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #916 of 1,158
I've been neglecting my Cowon S... Been using the 1z. Started taking the S for my evening walks. Still such an amazing player. Really not sure which I prefer this or the 1z. 2 completely different sounding players. Love them both. If I had to choose, I'm 82.14592% sure it would be the Cowon S. Primarily because of the eq and dsp. Sony just don't have dat bass. I need my bass.

interresting that you say they are completely different sounding. I always thought that they both are DAPs with a warmer signature? (in comparison to the 1A that seems to be more on the colder side)

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #917 of 1,158
interresting that you say they are completely different sounding. I always thought that they both are DAPs with a warmer signature? (in comparison to the 1A that seems to be more on the colder side)
colder to

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #918 of 1,158
Agreed. I can't wait.

bro prepare your walled for cowon 2

i am counting days to buy cowon 2

if you like you can donate your wm1z to me and i might accept it as a donation :)

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #919 of 1,158
  Can't wait to hear the P2.
Makes it difficult for the Plenue S owners, since it seems like a Plenue 1 price point update.

If the classic PCM1792 D/A chip on the Plenue S/1 had some role in their unique sound signature, then maybe this one will sound entirely different with the new D/A chip and everything. It reminds me of how AK240 with the classic Cirrus Logic changed to AK380 with the AKM.

i am sure with cowon daps it is always safe to assume that they will always pull out better products with amazing signtaures, they have been in this business long enough to not screw themselves and know what they are doing

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #920 of 1,158

It's the eq, with my settings for both, they sound completely different. I should have been more clear.

Sound Eq that's very nice of you bro!!

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #921 of 1,158
It's the eq, with my settings for both, they sound completely different. I should have been more clear.

@Sound Eq that's very nice of you bro!!

:) soon we will meet in an island where a facility will help audiophiles recover

this is even worse than crack

but i accept being an audiophile junkie

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #922 of 1,158
Listing for the P2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Audio-player-COWON-PLENUE-2-P2-128G-SL-/112348221408?hash=item1a2879cfe0:g:aTgAAOSwXYtY184H

Personally, I have reached my expensive audio limit for both personal and home equipment.  I don't like to sell and have piles of audio gear stacked up at home that don't get used too often.  Perhaps in a few years I will get back on the wagon.  

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #923 of 1,158
Is the Cowon plenue S still the TOL of Cowon, or is the Cowon plenue 2 the new king with it's brand new AK4497 DAC chip ?

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #924 of 1,158
I've measured this and posted it on the Plenue 2 thread too

018.jpg

Playing 0dBFS 1kHz sine wave FLAC file, and cranking up the volume until it starts clipping (> 1% THD).

Basically it kind of suggests the design philosophy behind the Plenue 2.

They gave Plenue 2 quite a bit more driving power over Plenue 1 (can achieve louder without clipping) on low impedance headphones below 50 ohms. Particularly for say around 10-15 ohm, Plenue 2 has about double the voltage compared to Plenue 1. This is quite important for multi-BA IEM like JH, which does get down to as low as 6 ohms and momentarily clips easily on most DAPs even at moderate volume levels.

However, they settled for the same maximum voltage as Plenue 1 for high impedance headphones, and overall nowhere near as high as Plenue S, so it feels like they really went for the "improved Plenue 1", rather than trying to be in line with Plenue S. (simply in terms of amplifier power).

Sound wise, I thought Plenue 2 was far superior to Plenue 1, but 50/50 against Plenue S. I still thought the Plenue S sounded a lot more interesting and musically engaging on PCM files, but somehow Plenue 2 sounded a lot better on DSD files.

It had pros and cons, so decided to hold on to my Plenue S simply for the sake of higher amplifier power which is handy in many circumstances.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #928 of 1,158
May 24, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #929 of 1,158
New firmware (1.20) was released for the Cowon Plenue S:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&bmenu=support

Wow... Thanks for the info.

I never guessed that they will release a new update. The touch volume control is a welcome addition.

New Features
- Change User Interface(UI)
- Add the function of showing information when change the playing music *
- Add the function of controlling volume touch **
- Fix the symptom which some part of high volume level isn’t controlled in specific JetEffect setting
* When Setting/Display/Song change, if information display is on, information will be displayed for 5 seconds when user changes song during playing music.
** If user touches the volume display at the top or if user sets Setting/System/Multi-Button as Volume and touches Multi-Button, volume pop-up will be displayed and user can control the volume up and down by touch

May 24, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #930 of 1,158
Just tried the new firmware.

Volume slider thing is neat, but it's a bit dumb because it won't come out when I use the volume up/down buttons.
and when it does show (by pressing the tiny bit of screen that shows the current volume), it disappears within a microsecond (more like 1 second...).

I guess Cowon doesn't care too much about firmware updates because Plenue S is so rock solid and bug-free. It's not worth messing it up.

Only thing I wish for is that they offer a way to disable the volume defaulting to 60 every time I unplug the headphones.

1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back