New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
May 29, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #2,251 of 3,924
That's unfortunate. I bought the Mojo assuming it can drive 600 ohm cans. and T1 seems like a pretty good option considering it's semi-open. But I can't afford both the T1 AND an Amp. I wish they made a 250ohm version of the T1.
Now would you recommend getting the T5p.2 or going for the Amiron or DT 1990? I heard that Tp5 has a very good soundstage for a closed back can and that's a good thing.

AK makes a 32 ohm version with their semi-open T1p.

Haven't heard them but read the T1p might be tuned a bit different. Other than the lower resistance and shorter warranty (1yr vs Beyer's 5yrs) they appear to just have AK's branding added. Comes with a balanced 2.5mm cable too.

Just re-checked and the T1p is still on sale. If I didn't already have the T1.2 I'd have ordered these weeks ago since I could use the balanced cable.
https://www.adorama.com/akt1p.html?...t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

May 29, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #2,252 of 3,924
AK makes a 32 ohm version with their semi-open T1p.

Haven't heard them but read the T1p might be tuned a bit different. Other than the lower resistance and shorter warranty (1yr vs Beyer's 5yrs) they appear to just have AK's branding added. Comes with a balanced 2.5mm cable too.

Just re-checked and the T1p is still on sale. If I didn't already have the T1.2 I'd have ordered these weeks ago since I could use the balanced cable.
https://www.adorama.com/akt1p.html?...t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905
Didn't know about'em thanks. Do you think it sounds more like the 1st gen BYD T1 or the 2nd gen? I've heard it's based on 1st gen but with detachable cables.
Also 649$ off seems a bit odd to me! since the original page price is 1199$:
https://www.adorama.com/akt1p.html
I'd love to get T1p for 549.99! :)

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,253 of 3,924
With detachable cables on the T1p, can't imagine Beyer doing a separate T1 mod for them rather than just basing them on the existing T1.2.

Only heard the T1.2 so can't say how a 32 ohm special edition sounds.

I order from Adorama every so often and they are an authorized AK dealer. They just happen to do separate pages/links for sale items so that only those with the targeted email can see certain deals. Found the T1p deal on Slickdeals weeks ago but price seems to be another $50 lower now. No idea how much longer the T1p will be half off though.

May 29, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,254 of 3,924
That's unfortunate. I bought the Mojo assuming it can drive 600 ohm cans. and T1 seems like a pretty good option considering it's semi-open. But I can't afford both the T1 AND an Amp. I wish they made a 250ohm version of the T1.
Now would you recommend getting the T5p.2 or going for the Amiron or DT 1990? I heard that Tp5 has a very good soundstage for a closed back can and that's a good thing.

The mojo has no trouble at all driving the T1. You can tell the maximum output voltage of the mojo based on the colour of the volume control buttons, and I don't often go above 1.9V rms, which is enough for 110dB. The Mojo can output over 5V rms, so it's got plenty of power for the T1s.

I've got desktop amps, including the Beyerdynamic A20 and Matrix HPA-3U, which can output up to 2.8W. That's much more power than the mojo can provide; I could probably use high gain and crank up the volume and use it to blow up my headphones if I wanted to, but for listening I don't need any more power than I'm using with the mojo.

Some people might prefer valve amps, but they sound different because they colour the sound, not because they may or may not have more power. Something you could try with the mojo is to add series resistors to the output as I described earlier to see if you notice much difference in sound.

-Mark.

May 29, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,255 of 3,924
With detachable cables on the T1p, can't imagine Beyer doing a separate T1 mod for them rather than just basing them on the existing T1.2.

Only heard the T1.2 so can't say how a 32 ohm special edition sounds.

I order from Adorama every so often and they are an authorized AK dealer. They just happen to do separate pages/links for sale items so that only those with the targeted email can see certain deals. Found the T1p deal on Slickdeals weeks ago but price seems to be another $50 lower now. No idea how much longer the T1p will be half off though.
Thanks for the tip then. I emailed AK about the 1st gen 2nd gen thing. I'll try to grab them ASAP. :)

The mojo has no trouble at all driving the T1. You can tell the maximum output voltage of the mojo based on the colour of the volume control buttons, and I don't often go above 1.9V rms, which is enough for 110dB. The Mojo can output over 5V rms, so it's got plenty of power for the T1s.

I've got desktop amps, including the Beyerdynamic A20 and Matrix HPA-3U, which can output up to 2.8W. That's much more power than the mojo can provide; I could probably use high gain and crank up the volume and use it to blow up my headphones if I wanted to, but for listening I don't need any more power than I'm using with the mojo.

Some people might prefer valve amps, but they sound different because they colour the sound, not because they may or may not have more power. Something you could try with the mojo is to add series resistors to the output as I described earlier to see if you notice much difference in sound.

-Mark.
This thread and the responses scared me off:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/beyerdynamic-t1-completely-unimpressed.815665/
Thanks for your advice.

May 29, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,256 of 3,924
This thread and the responses scared me off:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/beyerdynamic-t1-completely-unimpressed.815665/
Thanks for your advice.

In that thread there's a lot of talk about power. I contacted Beyerdynamic some time ago and even their product manager says that the T1s only need 10mW. Somebody also mentioned how good the T1s sound with the A20. I've got an A20, and I've spent some time comparing the mojo driving the T1s directly verses using the mojo as a DAC and the A20 as an amp. The A20 is a very good, very transparent amp, but I would say that it adds nothing to the mojo. You just lose a little transparency, but I didn't notice that I gained anything. Earlier in this thread somebody else did the same comparison and came to a similar conclusion.

-Mark.

May 29, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,257 of 3,924
In that thread there's a lot of talk about power. I contacted Beyerdynamic some time ago and even their product manager says that the T1s only need 10mW. Somebody also mentioned how good the T1s sound with the A20. I've got an A20, and I've spent some time comparing the mojo driving the T1s directly verses using the mojo as a DAC and the A20 as an amp. The A20 is a very good, very transparent amp, but I would say that it adds nothing to the mojo. You just lose a little transparency, but I didn't notice that I gained anything. Earlier in this thread somebody else did the same comparison and came to a similar conclusion.

-Mark.
Thanks man. that's a relief

May 29, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,258 of 3,924

Like Kman, I have had the T1.2 and I prefer the DT1990 over it, I had the T1.2 at the same time as I had the Mojo and the pairing was good but not enough for me.

The DT1990 is much easier to drive and is therefore more versatile with DAP's etc. I find that it does vocals better and is overall more musical and dynamic compared to the T1.2 but the T1.2 is probably better at soundstage and micro detail.

I also have the Amiron and I reckon that it is probably too warm sounding to pair well with the already warm sound of the Mojo.

So far my preference is for the DT1990 over the Amiron (but I only have them a few days)

May 29, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,259 of 3,924
Like Kman, I have had the T1.2 and I prefer the DT1990 over it, I had the T1.2 at the same time as I had the Mojo and the pairing was good but not enough for me.

The DT1990 is much easier to drive and is therefore more versatile with DAP's etc. I find that it does vocals better and is overall more musical and dynamic compared to the T1.2 but the T1.2 is probably better at soundstage and micro detail.

I also have the Amiron and I reckon that it is probably too warm sounding to pair well with the already warm sound of the Mojo.

So far my preference is for the DT1990 over the Amiron (but I only have them a few days)

I just returned Ether C Flow ,, i didn't like them at all .. now looking to try something new ,

i was checking the t1.2 , but i heard that the dt1990 is one step behind it with more bass

how is the deference in bass and sound stage between the dt1990 and the t1.2 ?

also how comfortable the dt1990 compare to the t1.2 ? ( ear space inside the cups ? )

May 30, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,260 of 3,924
I just returned Ether C Flow ,, i didn't like them at all .. now looking to try something new ,

i was checking the t1.2 , but i heard that the dt1990 is one step behind it with more bass

how is the deference in bass and sound stage between the dt1990 and the t1.2 ?

also how comfortable the dt1990 compare to the t1.2 ? ( ear space inside the cups ? )

Yes, there is definitely more noticeable bass on the 1990 but also much more body to the mids, there is also more warmth to the overall sound that some people may not like about the 1990 compared to the T1.2.

It is possible that some people might say that Beyer have gone from a touch clinical and analytical on the T1.2 to a warmer more coloured sound on the 1990 that may be more pleasing to the masses.

I had the T1.2 for 2 months and found it comfortable but the pads were a bit warm for my ears and I found myself removing them a lot to vent the heat build up (especially in the early days of use).

The 1990 with the thinner option pad is not as comfortable but still perfectly acceptable and the 1990 has more clamping pressure compared to the T1.2 and Amiron.

The Amiron are noticeably more comfortable than the 1990 but the Alcantara pads may be a touch warm for some people.

kman would have more experience than me and has given a lot of useful information on HF.

May 30, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,261 of 3,924
I'm officially confused now :confounded:
LMh5gXv.jpg

AK support says one thing and Beyerdynamic says another!

May 30, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,262 of 3,924
Well, Beyerdynamic is the one who actually designs and builds the headphones so I'd trust them more on that. Plus the T1p still has their name on it along with AK's.

EDIT: Also, seeing how Beyer charges $150 for their optional balanced cable, getting a lower priced T1p with both cables included seems like an even better value.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #2,263 of 3,924
Yes, there is definitely more noticeable bass on the 1990 but also much more body to the mids, there is also more warmth to the overall sound that some people may not like about the 1990 compared to the T1.2.

It is possible that some people might say that Beyer have gone from a touch clinical and analytical on the T1.2 to a warmer more coloured sound on the 1990 that may be more pleasing to the masses.

I had the T1.2 for 2 months and found it comfortable but the pads were a bit warm for my ears and I found myself removing them a lot to vent the heat build up (especially in the early days of use).

The 1990 with the thinner option pad is not as comfortable but still perfectly acceptable and the 1990 has more clamping pressure compared to the T1.2 and Amiron.

The Amiron are noticeably more comfortable than the 1990 but the Alcantara pads may be a touch warm for some people.

kman would have more experience than me and has given a lot of useful information on HF.
Really i am thankful for the detailed info ,, i think i will go for the 1990 ,, bass is very important for me ,,
warmth also is good ,, i hope only that the sound stage is not that close ,, and detail retrieval is not that far from the t1.2

Thanks again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back