New Beyerdynamic amp A2
Nov 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #76 of 259
I can also recommend the A1 amplifier, which is the predecessor of the A2. It has an identical circuit design, as beyerdynamic officially stated. I made some tests if i should upgrade, but could not detect any differences in sound. The A1 is still available as remainder of stock for good price.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #77 of 259
  Not sure why? Maybe the price, maybe just because Beyerdynamics is better known as a headphone manufacturer? But the A2 is a seriously good amp; especially for the T1 V2!

I don't remember anyone complaining about the price of Sennheiser amps. Yes, €1500,- is some money, but I still consider it the best amp I've heard so far for the original T1 (the T1.2 did not catch on with me so far, not sure why... but its mainly gathering dust on my desk between repeated trial sessions).

Yes, its not balanced. Honestly I couldn't care less.
Yes, it does not have crossfeed. I don't miss that either.
Yes, it does not offer a digital input. I do in fact miss that though :wink:

What appeals to me besides it clean and dynamic sound is its spacious and well done circuit layout (electrical engineer coming through here), its minimalistic design and well-done aesthetics and its solid build quality. It does look and feel like a premium product and a very competitively priced system when combined with a T1.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #78 of 259

I don't remember anyone complaining about the price of Sennheiser amps. Yes, €1500,- is some money, but I still consider it the best amp I've heard so far for the original T1 (the T1.2 did not catch on with me so far, not sure why... but its mainly gathering dust on my desk between repeated trial sessions).

Yes, its not balanced. Honestly I couldn't care less.
Yes, it does not have crossfeed. I don't miss that either.
Yes, it does not offer a digital input. I do in fact miss that though :wink:

What appeals to me besides it clean and dynamic sound is its spacious and well done circuit layout (electrical engineer coming through here), its minimalistic design and well-done aesthetics and its solid build quality. It does look and feel like a premium product and a very competitively priced system when combined with a T1.

I totally agree and this amp at least is on par with the Sennheiser amp. But when paired with the T1v2, it is really magical.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #79 of 259

I totally agree and this amp at least is on par with the Sennheiser amp. But when paired with the T1v2, it is really magical.

Looking forward to your review... maybe that'll have some impact on the overall reception of the A2. Sure hope so, I like mine very much. I have a hang for pure, simple and beautiful things... and even the arrangement of the buttons and connectors on front and back is tasteful.

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #81 of 259
So given a choice of T1 v2 and A2 (with a great dac so it sounds at its best) or T1 v2 and Chord Hugo TT, which would you choose?

Easy...Chord Hugo TT  --> A 2 --> T1 V2. 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #82 of 259
Oh boy...

As I was ready to order the A2, I found the SPL Phonitor 2  available at a very similar price... 

Anyone can share expertise on which one should be better for T1 v2?
Or more "future proof"?

thanks in advance!

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #83 of 259
I Happen to like the A2 better with the T1 (both old and new), a bit more lively and engaging. Plus I've never used the Phonitors Matrix beyond experimentations. While the VU-meters are beautiful for sure, overall the design (and size) of the A2 appeal more to me. There are also times when two headphone outs are handy...

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #87 of 259
Hello all,

I'm trying to get my bearings on headphone amp options and am hoping that one of you might be able to help. Do any of you have experience with both the Beyer A2 and the Sennheiser HDVA-600 amps? If so, what were your experiences? Which would you purchase if you had to choose one today? 

I listen primarily to classical, via a Grace m920 and Focal Spirit Classic headphones. I occasionally listen through some old Senn HD580s. In the near future, I'd like to add a top tier headphone - Beyerdynamic T1 v2, Sennheiser HD800 or HD700, maybe Fostex TH900s (or something else?) - so I'd be looking for an amp that can handle a wide variety of hp impedances. 

Any insight will be appreciated!

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #88 of 259
Hello all,

I'm trying to get my bearings on headphone amp options and am hoping that one of you might be able to help. Do any of you have experience with both the Beyer A2 and the Sennheiser HDVA-600 amps? If so, what were your experiences? Which would you purchase if you had to choose one today? 

I listen primarily to classical, via a Grace m920 and Focal Spirit Classic headphones. I occasionally listen through some old Senn HD580s. In the near future, I'd like to add a top tier headphone - Beyerdynamic T1 v2, Sennheiser HD800 or HD700, maybe Fostex TH900s (or something else?) - so I'd be looking for an amp that can handle a wide variety of hp impedances. 

Any insight will be appreciated!

I've heard the sennheiser amps only a couple of times, so I can't comment on them in any depth. But as far as I remember they have a rather high output impedance while the A2 offers 100Ohm and near 0 switchable output impedances.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #89 of 259
Thanks, Plakat. I've read the specs on both amps and the flexibility of adjustable output impedance is definitely a check in the plus column for the A2.

I've read some conflicting reports on how well the hdva-600 works with lower impedance phones, so I was hoping for some first hand accounts. I'm not sure how important it is - just trying to find a good option to meet all eventualities.

Thanks for your input!

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #90 of 259
I can find a good deal on an A1 amp.

Would anyone with that if you have the following:

ER-4S
DT 1770
DT880 - 250
DT150

I currently have and A20, but thinking I may gain something with the A1.

Can't find a tempting price on an A2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back