Need some advice on HD600 vs ...
Jul 12, 2017 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

domsch1988

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, i've been off for quite some time. 2 years back i got myself the DT880's and have been happy ever since.

Now, after listening to the HD600 in a store, i'm hooked again. They are just so smooth and easy to listen to in comparison.
So, i'm looking into a new pair next month. A few options are on the radar, but i'm open to suggestions.
- HD600 is still available and costs about 250€
- HD650 costs 50€ more and doesn't seem to change anything in sound or comfort
- HD6xx the drop is live, but i really, really, really do not want to wait until christmas for them to get to me...
- HD700? Way more pricey, but is the upgrade worth it? i could maybe stretch the budget that far.

So, basically, open back headphones, great resolution without the "harsh" or pronounced top end my 80Ohm Beyers have. I'm wanting something that's easy to listen to and wear for hours. I'm leaning for a warmer sound here. K701 (which i tried) are way to analytical and fatiguing for example.

I don't currently own a dedicated amp but have a quality audio Interface that can drive the cans. I'm also looking into a "budget" desktop amp to go along with the new headphones though.

Any input or recommendations are welcome, as i haven't been following the headphone scene for a while now.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 18
Yes, audition the HE400S. Replace the stock velour pads for the Hybrid pads.
Then A/B with the HD600s. You should hear a fuller, richer, deeper sound.
Depends on the genres you prefer, but to my ears, the HiFiman does a better job.
Definitely worth a listen before you purchase the HD600. Same price range, better
bass and weight to the music. IMHO.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 18
Many of us here think of HD 700 as a defective headphone with a bizarre, unlistenable frequency response. HD 650 may not be worth it. It's a bit bottom heavy and laid back, while the neutral HD 600 excels with everything. Might as well buy the HD 600 and be done.

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 18
with simple EQ HD700 is HD600, HD650 and HD6xx destroyer
it crushes them with resolution, speed, soundstage, comfort you name it
So a simple eq turns HD 700 into the neutral sounding, polite HD 600 you say? With mids as lush and present and giving the listener no fatigue after many hours of listening? Hard to believe.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 18
Not to question your opinion, but why would i spend over 500€ on a headphone that "needs" EQ to sound great? Some source don't have EQ available. Plus, in this price range there are other headphones that do all this without EQ...
I have nothing against a little eq here and there to make music more engaging, but if a headphone needs it to make it good, there's something inherintly wrong with it. In the end, the HD700 was just to expensive. Got the 600 (today, so haven't listened to it yet). If i need speed, analytical and resolution, i've always got my beyer's to go back to.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 18
Not to question your opinion, but why would i spend over 500€ on a headphone that "needs" EQ to sound great? Some source don't have EQ available. Plus, in this price range there are other headphones that do all this without EQ...
I have nothing against a little eq here and there to make music more engaging, but if a headphone needs it to make it good, there's something inherintly wrong with it. In the end, the HD700 was just to expensive. Got the 600 (today, so haven't listened to it yet). If i need speed, analytical and resolution, i've always got my beyer's to go back to.
there is no perfect headphones, every headphone can benefit from EQ, tell me expensive model and i will tell you what you can do with EQ to improve it

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 18
there is no perfect headphones, every headphone can benefit from EQ, tell me expensive model and i will tell you what you can do with EQ to improve it
I never implied that there is a perfect headphone. There are perfect Headphones for ME though. They might not be for you. My DT770 80Ohm never needed EQ for me to sound like i wanted them too. That's got nothing to do with price. And no, EQ won't make them better. I tried. But that's different for every single person.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 18
I never implied that there is a perfect headphone. There are perfect Headphones for ME though. They might not be for you. My DT770 80Ohm never needed EQ for me to sound like i wanted them too. That's got nothing to do with price. And no, EQ won't make them better. I tried. But that's different for every single person.
you have a point yes

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 18
i didn't say polite hd600, i said better, its more technical headphone and if you remove the peak at 6.5 khz it sound like a champ

Have you ever given Sonarworks a shot? They have a free 21 day trial....and the HD700 is on the list of supported headphones. They really made a huge difference for me with the HD800 ...as I couldn't manually get the EQ to where I was happy.

Its a no lose situation....they may elevate your 700's even higher (or not).

Bern

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #14 of 18
Have you ever given Sonarworks a shot? They have a free 21 day trial....and the HD700 is on the list of supported headphones. They really made a huge difference for me with the HD800 ...as I couldn't manually get the EQ to where I was happy.

Its a no lose situation....they may elevate your 700's even higher (or not).

Bern
i use APO, minus 2.5 db at 6.5khz is enough to remove the problem, other than that a great headphone with that correction, big soundstage, very good imaging, fast transient response, very clean sound and comfort is high, i got them for 260 dollars second hand, i wanted to get hd800 but they were 3 times more expensive

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #15 of 18
i really like the hd800, they are amazing headphones, i am gonna get them but not now, they can take sub bass eq without problems, hd800s not so much, hd800s have higher distortion in the bass region to make them sound warmer, hd800 is better buy in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back