Need recommendation for a flagship-level headphone
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Chezzy79

100+ Head-Fier
Over the last year I've been purchasing, auditioning, and selling headphones to search for my favorite set up.  These are what I've had the chance to own so far:

Ultrasone Signature Pro
Beyerdynamic Tesla T1
Synphones Magnum V4 in Mahogany cups (made by Benjamin 6264)
MCA Fostex T50RP
UM reshelled TF10
Klipsch X10i Lou Reed
Ultrasone Pro 900
Westone UM3X
Westone 4
HD25-1-ii
HD650
DT880 Premium 250 Ohm

I definitely liked all of them in a different way, and my favorite by far was the Beyer T1.  I've came to a conclusion that I prefer headphones with the following characteristics:

1. Large soundstage but very close (intimate) vocal

1. Bass presence and tightness (I liked the bass on HD650 the most from the above)

1. Excellent details, imaging, and transparency (I can't stand "congested" sound, even if it makes low-quality recordings sound even worse)

1. Great low and high extension

1. Not necessarily neutral (obviously I prefer neutral sound sig, but it is okay if it isn't as long as it is enjoyable)

The amp/DAC I own right now is HDP, but as long as the total cost of the new combo isn't over $500 I can sell the HDP to upgrade. Headphone I have in mind to purchase next is LCD-2 Rev 2, then HD700 and/or HD800 (I know the HDP needs to go if I were to get HD800), and I'm afraid to touch Audio Technica because there are so many of them and the price is really unstable. Also I am curious as to what GS1000i or PS1000 can offer, since I hear they are close to what I've described above.

Any input that isn't a hearsay is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks always for the advice MalVeaux. LCD-2 is the first choice and the HE-6 is next in line as well as the HD800, but either of them would probably require me to upgrade or change the amp.

HE-6's are literally everywhere on Head-fi right now... should i wait for the same thing to happen for LCD-2 or should I just go ahead and jump on a pair of HE-6?

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks always for the advice MalVeaux. LCD-2 is the first choice and the HE-6 is next in line as well as the HD800, but either of them would probably require me to upgrade or change the amp.

HE-6's are literally everywhere on Head-fi right now... should i wait for the same thing to happen for LCD-2 or should I just go ahead and jump on a pair of HE-6?

Heya,

The LCD2 and HD800 would run from your current setup decently. So you could jump right in.

The HE-6 would need a new amplifier. And if you go this route, I recommend a speaker amp (I have a thread about a $200 speaker amp that is phenomenal for this, so you can do all you need without breaking the bank). Grabbing a used HE-6 with a speaker amp would be e definitive headphone setup. But the LCD2 is also a great option, runs easy from what you already have. Something to consider. More information, read through this thread.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back