Need help on buying a new headphone.
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 22
I actually didn't find the K712's all that accurate. Instrument separation was great, but actual imaging was sub par, as it was applied in games at least. It's strength was music, though I find the treble fatiguing, even more so as it applied to gun shot effects. They worked well for movies, if bass slam isn't a requirement.

I think the X2 offer a lot of the capabilities you need, but I found them uncomfortable after several hours of use. I'd recommend more to the 558/598 side of the debate for comfort and gaming, but they lack the bass to make some movies really engaging. One problem you might run into is whether you can drive the headphones using something like the MixAmp. I guess I could test some of these for you, in that regard. I know the X2, 558/598 and R70 wouldn't have much issue though.

The R70x is comfy, and non-offending, in that the bass isn't overly in the face, and treble isn't harsh, partially because both are rolled off. Which is great for long-term listening, but bad if you want to be engaged by audio. It's driven sufficiently from my PC, MixAmp Pro, but not quite efficient enough for my phone to get decent audio out of.

The 400i is great, but needs an amp. It's my current all-rounder pick, but again, needs an amp. The 400s is more efficient, but sounds a bit more muddy without a bright amp to help clean it up. Both would work well for your intended use. The sound stage is smaller than the K712, but I find it images more accurately, at least in games.

I haven't used the Shure's so I can't comment on them.

But to get your homebrew headset going with a PS4, you'll need a MixAmp or something similar at the least. It has a built-in amp, and anemic as it is, it's good enough to drive about half the headphones on your list. The DAC is built into the MixAmp, so there's that.
Really?, everyone else seems to say the K712 Pro is the best on that list for my needs. Have you tried them with any games?, if so what games have you tried them with?

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #17 of 22
Really?, everyone else seems to say the K712 Pro is the best on that list for my needs. Have you tried them with any games?, if so what games have you tried them with?
I've used them with Battlefield 4, Borderlands 2, ARMA 3, DayZ, PUBG, Star Citizen, Killing Floor 2, Mount and Blade: Warband, Minecraft, Dying Light, Rainbow Six Siege, Space Engineers, Astroneer, Scrap Mechanic, Osiris: New Dawn, Metal Gear Solid V, Payday 2, SQUAD, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Doom, Homefront: The REvolution, etc.

These were my primary gaming headphones for a couple of years.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #18 of 22
I've used them with Battlefield 4, Borderlands 2, ARMA 3, DayZ, PUBG, Star Citizen, Killing Floor 2, Mount and Blade: Warband, Minecraft, Dying Light, Rainbow Six Siege, Space Engineers, Astroneer, Scrap Mechanic, Osiris: New Dawn, Metal Gear Solid V, Payday 2, SQUAD, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Doom, Homefront: The REvolution, etc.

These were my primary gaming headphones for a couple of years.
Do you still use the K712 Pro's for gaming or have you changed them, if so what did you change them to and in what way were the new ones better?

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 22
Do you still use the K712 Pro's for gaming or have you changed them, if so what did you change them to and in what way were the new ones better?

I used the HE560's for a long time, and I'm still happy with them, but tried the ATH-r70x for funsies, and found them more comfortable for gaming than the 712's, still not as good in performance as the HE560's. I tried the HD800's, and while the sound stage was impressive, the imaging wasn't any more accurate in games. Long story short, I don't think the extra cost was worth it over the HE560's or HE400's

I'm using the HE400i's and HE400s's for science right now, and they don't have the same sound stage the 560, but they're a tad more comfortable, and most of the performance, for a fraction of the price. Imaging is similarly solid, detail retrieval is just a step behind.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 22
The HE-400S is a very good all around headphone. Sounds great easy to drive and comfortable.

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #22 of 22
Well it's been a while but thank you all for the suggestions, I'm probably going to go with the K712's as I've heard the best things about them from every corner of the internet and according to Mad Lust Envy's guide the K712 Pro's have the best overall score between fun, gaming and comfort.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back