My DIY electrostatic headphones
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,702 of 4,058
yay milled today the stators and spacers worked pretty well :) the 60x110 looks a little bit tall and slim but my cnc cant do bigger :)
one question how you apply the uhu uniform? directly out of the tube or how? when can i upload images how many posts i need to have? :)
cheers janosch

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,703 of 4,058
Hi,

I've just joined this site today. I just want to say hi to everybody and show you my version of electrostatic headphones and amplifier. I've successfully made the phones and the amp for about a year now. I just love them.

22_005Medium.jpg

DSC03682.jpg

001jpgMedium.jpg

I hope my work might inspire somebody here. :)

Wachara C.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #2,704 of 4,058
Hello,
Please I am looking for a good electrostatic headphones amplifier tubes or transistors. Also I want to discover how can i convert a normal tube push-pull amplifier to a electrostatic headphones amplifier.

Theologos Sarafidis

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #2,706 of 4,058
Hello,
I can make diy amplifiers. My last Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier was the Design fro 1980 N. Pollock from Wireless World. Now there are some Special designs with EL34 or other. As I constructed a tube power amplifier with 2A3 tubes in push-pull, I am looking to construct a Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier by using the pcb Board of this push-pull amplifier but without output transformers. Of course I must make a separate High voltage (580V) power supply. But I am looking such plans of modifications in push-pull tube amplifiers. Else I want to construct a dedicated tube amplifier foe DIY electrostatic Headphones.

There are a lot of answers to that question based on your amplifier design and your ability to DIY or not.

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,709 of 4,058
I took a peak at the KGSSHV schematic, it seems to be just a transistor cascode amplifier with current source loads, not impressive enough to call it "better" than all else. There's a million and one ways to convert a non ES amp into an ES one but without a schematic of his amp it's difficult to say.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #2,710 of 4,058
hey all :) i got the antistatic spray from rs componets which david (muamp) suggested and i already talk with him about how to apply it on the membrane ("Muamp said:Shake bottle. Spray librally all over. Allow 15 minutes to dry. Wipe lightly with lint free cloth") but perhabs you guys also have other practices how to make a good coating :) i was thinking about putting the esd fluid in a tray and then let the membrane float on the fluid and then pull out and let gravity pull off the excess?
this should give a pretty uniform coating :) just like in alternative photography where you coat paper with a salt solution just like i described above :)

cheers janosch

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #2,711 of 4,058
again me :) first tests were kind of successfull (music audible but far from sounding good) so there are a lot of problems to solve:

when i play music with a bias voltage of around 600v the speaker roars and when i increase the HV it gets louder sure but the music is very distorted :frowning2:

could this be a problem with the tension of the foil? i use household foil which is 12 micron thick in germany i couldn't find 3 micron mylar foil. any of you know a source? hmmm :)

any of you had a similar problem? with the roar and distroted sound?

cheers and thx
janosch

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #2,712 of 4,058
Hi Janosch,

Tell us more about your build. What is the spacer thickness? What do you use for coating the diaphragm? Are you using a dedicated amp or transformers for connection with the headphones? Pictures would help a lot.

Actually, I find the 12 micron food wrap to sound pretty good. So, I don't think it is the cause of your distorted music.

By the way, the 3 microns Mylar can be bought easily on Ebay.

Wachara C.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2,713 of 4,058
hey Wachara :) my setup is amess at the moment :D
- Spacer thickness 0.5mm
- coating is Anti Static Spray from rs-components
- a very old amp with 2 transformers and a High voltage lab powersupply for the bias voltage perhabs i can test tomorrow Muamps testbench energizer :)
for pictures im afraid i still dont have enough posts :frowning2:
cheers janosch

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #2,714 of 4,058
To use 0.5 mm spacer, you have to make sure that you do everything right. It's not so easy.

What is the size of your active membrane area?

For pictures, if you really can't post them here, you can easily store them somewhere else and put a link here.

By the way, I would question your amp and the step up transformers. I'm not sure that they are good for the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back