Munich Highend 2017 Show Report
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #31 of 55
Thanks amanand88keys for this detailed feedback. I am glad we share the same good feeling about those AlsyVox Spanish ribbon speakers. Too bad that by lack of time I could not go to all the other rooms you described.

May 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #32 of 55
Thanks amanand88keys for this detailed feedback. I am glad we share the same good feeling about those AlsyVox Spanish ribbon speakers. Too bad that by lack of time I could not go to all the other rooms you described.

You're welcome! Yeah, the Alsyvox speakers are special and a different beast than the new Quad electrostats I will write about in my second part. There's still a bunch of rooms left to describe and I will likely post the second part later today.

May 23, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #33 of 55
And yes, the "stupid octopus thing" in the Alsyvox room (guess it was the Omega Audio top model)... I saw it as a curious case of Italian extravaganza. As an Italian citizen myself (belonging to a German minority within Italy) I had a friendly conversation with the head of Omega and he seemed, to me, like a really nice guy. With Italians it really makes a difference if you can talk to them in their native language, sometimes it feels like you are talking to a different person... However, I didn't mention the stupid octopus thing (I'm not a fan of the design) and the way it makes CD switching look like a ceremony - it somehow reminded me of temple altar - as I didn't want to embarass him... In hindsight, maybe I should have told him that it looked stupid to me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 23, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #34 of 55
Finaly I rushed into a very very intriguing 3D demo for Speaker system (NOT headphones).

The 3D digital processing box, inserted before the DAC, removes the crosfeed ( they say ´clean' the stereo signal) and the instruments are really all around you when the system is activated (there is also a version of the box that includes a DAC ) .

The demo start with a 1 minute calibration process with microphones positioned inside your ear and then you get binaural effect from any stereo recording with a standard 2 channel speaker system. It was really IMPRESSIVE. Check their web site...

At the HighEnd 2016 I attended a presentation by David Chesky (curiously, in a totally different room that had nothing to do with him or the Baach-SP) where he explained the technology behind it and why, according to him, this will revolutionize how we listen to stereo setups. I personally never got to audition the Baach-SP, but there is one point that still disappoints me: David claimed that they are working on a smaller, considerably less expensive version of the filter and that it should be out soon. Well, the original device has been around for a few years and they never released any updates on the project, to me it seems as if all there is is the big filter and that's it. I am aware that some things take years to develop, especially if your goal is to minimize a brick of high-tech into a smaller, less expensive model. But still, he said with confidence that there will be news on his company's (HD tracks) website and that they are working hard on this game-changer. So far only a few select people have even heard the prototype, much less are able to afford it and I don't recall seeing any new developments in the past years. Well, time will tell.

May 23, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #35 of 55
Mm..re: Obravo EAMT 1 and 2, I am surprised about your negative impressions. Headfonia and Headfonics found both models to be exceptional. What gives?

I was unable to get a perfect seal at first. He nodded, and gave me some other tips to work around with. Tried them out of my phone and the DAC/AMP they had on display.
After playing around with the ceramic front, he gave me some variation with a wooden front, improving on the treble. The balance was still kinda skewed, however. The EAMT-2 was the same in terms of balance, but even more peaky in the treble.
The emt-0 aka. "Ra" prototype, was much better in balance, but had that super prominent bass, which I did not really enjoy. The balance on all earphones was kinda off. Just very weird dips and spikes.
Keep in mind that these are all very short impressions. I was only really interested in auditioning, because of the HAMT-1 measurement I saw on Innerfidelity and all the contradicting opinions floating around. They are way out of my price-range anyway.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #36 of 55
I take it you didn't get to try aluminium versions of the oBravo. The treble wasn't to my taste on the ceramics, but the aluminium cured this problem for me.

May 23, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #37 of 55
I have to admit that I have a hard time justifying buying a non-Isolating IEM ! can someone explain me ?

I've been using the LCD-i4 regularly since CanJam SoCal, and for me they've become my "portable full-size headphones." It's an inconvenience to travel with my Ether FLOW, but the LCD-i4 fit easily in my backpack. There are also times where I'm at home and I get the urge to switch from my FLOW to the i4, and vice versa. For me, the LCD-i4 is like a full-size headphone in a compact package. I don't think of it as an IEM.

It's a shame you weren't able to spend any quiet time with the LCD-i4 at the show. Hopefully you'll get the chance to hear it again.

May 23, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #38 of 55
I've been using the LCD-i4 regularly since CanJam SoCal, and for me they've become my "portable full-size headphones." It's an inconvenience to travel with my Ether FLOW, but the LCD-i4 fit easily in my backpack. There are also times where I'm at home and I get the urge to switch from my FLOW to the i4, and vice versa. For me, the LCD-i4 is like a full-size headphone in a compact package. I don't think of it as an IEM.

It's a shame you weren't able to spend any quiet time with the LCD-i4 at the show. Hopefully you'll get the chance to hear it again.
I agree, the advantage of some of these higher end "open" iems is the sq of a full sized headphone in a smaller, less obtrusive package.

May 23, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #40 of 55

can i ask and please do not get me wrong, does it really sound like a full size headphone, as to me iems always sounded like iems, and even when some described how amazing an iem sounds but they sound as iems. So can you vouch that lcd-i4 is a really sounding full size headphone in the form of a portable earphone and does not sound like your typical iems at all

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #41 of 55
Mm...is the treble terrible?
Treble is very detailed and natural to my ears. The frequency range of the amt driver is way above my ability to hear, and yet performs with no sibilance unless it comes from your source or recording, IMO.

May 23, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #42 of 55
can i ask and please do not get me wrong, does it really sound like a full size headphone, as to me iems always sounded like iems, and even when some described how amazing an iem sounds but they sound as iems. So can you vouch that lcd-i4 is a really sounding full size headphone in the form of a portable earphone and does not sound like your typical iems at all

That's a tough question to answer with a simple yes or no, so I'll say yes and no. For example, it has a larger soundstage than my Ether FLOW. Granted, the FLOW doesn't have the largest soundstage for a planar, but it's not small either. The LCD-i4 has incredible layering and I absolutely love the bass texture. Mids sit right where I want them, and because of the open design and submicron driver material there's an incredible sense of air and spaciousness that I've never experienced with an in-ear. On the other hand, there's the physical feeling that you're wearing an in-ear. There's no pressure on the top of the head and the feeling of the tips in your ears (even more true with the groovy tips) is unmistakable. It's mostly a subconscious thing, but I've never forgotten that it's an in-ear.

IMO, the LCD-i4 isn't going to replace the best full-size headphones available. Still, would I take the LCD-i4 over a full-size? Depending on which headphones we're talking about, absolutely. I'd happily take this in-ear over several of the market's current flagships. With the right gear it sounds almost unreal. However, it's not going to be for everyone in every situation. There's zero isolation, and I do mean zero. The driver material is so thin it lets everything through. The leakage isn't terrible, but there is enough to keep in mind that others can hear your music. In situations where I need to block outside noise, I'll still reach for a full-size closed headphone or a "traditional" IEM.

I'm trying to remember who it was that said the iSINE and LCD-i4 fall into a new category of headphone. Might have been John Darko. That's a great way to put it. They're an in-ear headphone, but they're unlike any other in-ear I've ever heard.

May 23, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #43 of 55
That's a tough question to answer with a simple yes or no, so I'll say yes and no. For example, it has a larger soundstage than my Ether FLOW. Granted, the FLOW doesn't have the largest soundstage for a planar, but it's not small either. The LCD-i4 has incredible layering and I absolutely love the bass texture. Mids sit right where I want them, and because of the open design and submicron driver material there's an incredible sense of air and spaciousness that I've never experienced with an in-ear. On the other hand, there's the physical feeling that you're wearing an in-ear. There's no pressure on the top of the head and the feeling of the tips in your ears (even more true with the groovy tips) is unmistakable. It's mostly a subconscious thing, but I've never forgotten that it's an in-ear.

IMO, the LCD-i4 isn't going to replace the best full-size headphones available. Still, would I take the LCD-i4 over a full-size? Depending on which headphones we're talking about, absolutely. I'd happily take this in-ear over several of the market's current flagships. With the right gear it sounds almost unreal. However, it's not going to be for everyone in every situation. There's zero isolation, and I do mean zero. The driver material is so thin it lets everything through. The leakage isn't terrible, but there is enough to keep in mind that others can hear your music. In situations where I need to block outside noise, I'll still reach for a full-size closed headphone or a "traditional" IEM.

I'm trying to remember who it was that said the iSINE and LCD-i4 fall into a new category of headphone. Might have been John Darko. That's a great way to put it. They're an in-ear headphone, but they're unlike any other in-ear I've ever heard.

ok now u have my full attention, and I am so eager to try them as I am in search for the next level in ear monitor

May 23, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #45 of 55
MURAUDIO from CANADA: Another Speaker system that I really liked. $ 48.000 US the pair.

They fire 360°; use 3 regular speakers for the low end (at 120° position), and... 3 electrostatic plates (also positioned at 120°) for the hights.

Very clear sound and all the advantages of the 360° speakers in term of positioning of the instruments. bBecause of their low efficiency (the electrostatics part) they need + 200W to make them justice...

IMG_3771.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back