**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 15, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #3,151 of 3,203
  How are these with punk rock, particularly punk rock with female vocals?

they sound good, but i like the dt880 more with things like bad religion, more detail and faster. MDP are less prone to listening fatigue over time though. I don't listen to any female punk bands, but for other female recordings I do prefer the MDP. Hope this helps. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #3,152 of 3,203
   Does anyone by chance have both the Mad Dog/Mad Dog Pro and HD600? I've searched high and low for opinions or input on
comparing the bass of these two.

I own the HD600 and am searching for complimentary can for them that is planar and makes more bass..without sacrificing the mids too much. I'd go straight to an LCD 2 but just cant get past spending almost $1K for a pair.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #3,153 of 3,203
Just wanted to say to any prospective Mad Dog owners that Mr. Speakers seems to be pretty serverly back ordered at the moment.

I ordered my set on January 5th and they still haven't been shipped despite the fact that I asked about the issue and they told me they'd ship by the end of last week.

I emailed them again this morning to get an update.  Went back on their website and realized that sometime since I ordered they changed from a 3 day to a 2 week leadtime on their store front.  

I'm not mad or trying to dissuade people from buying.  I'm still extremely excited actually to get them.  I am a little dissapointed however that there's been no communication from the vendor to me to let me know however.  If I hadn't of emailed I'd have no idea.  Not a huge deal though.

Anyway if people are looking just plan for it accordingly.

Edit:  And full disclosure they just emailed me and said they are going out today!  Can't wait to get them.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #3,154 of 3,203
The holiday season was good news bad news, good news in that our sales exceeded our forecast, bad in that it exceeded our capacity, and we got hit with floods in our neighborhood, Peter and I at CES, and a flu that has kept us down 25-50% of production staff since Jan 4.  However, the good news is we had a team in this weekend and we cleared through most of the backlog of Mad Dogs, much of the Pro backlog will clear tomorrow, and we should be back at a few days to a week.  

Thanks to everyone for the business, and the patience!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 18, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #3,155 of 3,203
     Does anyone by chance have both the Mad Dog/Mad Dog Pro and HD600? I've searched high and low for opinions or input on
comparing the bass of these two.

I own the HD600 and am searching for complimentary can for them that is planar and makes more bass..without sacrificing the mids too much. I'd go straight to an LCD 2 but just cant get past spending almost $1K for a pair.

I have a modded HD650 (IMO a souped up HD600) and a Mad Dog Pro (recently had a Mad Dog 3.2). Also, I recently sold my LCD2 as well haha. I feel that the two compliment each other very well (MDP and HD650) and I can honestly say that I can live with both of these for a long time. They both present similar mids, with the Mad Dog Pro giving a more impactful bass with slightly better extension. I am not missing my LCD2 at all. 
smily_headphones1.gif

So, I say go for it!

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #3,156 of 3,203
I have a modded HD650 (IMO a souped up HD600) and a Mad Dog Pro (recently had a Mad Dog 3.2). Also, I recently sold my LCD2 as well haha. I feel that the two compliment each other very well (MDP and HD650) and I can honestly say that I can live with both of these for a long time. They both present similar mids, with the Mad Dog Pro giving a more impactful bass with slightly better extension. I am not missing my LCD2 at all. :)

So, I say go for it!

The MDP keeps up with the famous Senn mids? That's high praise. I've been thinking of getting an alpha dog and the one thing I've missed about my Senns with my LCD-2 is the fantastic mids. Does the same go for vocals in your opinion?

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #3,157 of 3,203
A heads-up, we are now getting almost to the end of our pipeline of parts for the Mad Dog line, there are only a handful left.  

My estimate is we have at most enough parts for 10-15 days of sales for the Mad Dogs, and probably less for the Pros.  The website now reflects the remaining inventory for sale.  When the counter goes to "zero" no more orders will be taken for these headphones.

If there's a spike in orders our delivery forecast may be slightly longer than the 2 weeks we forecast right now (demand has been epic over the holiday, thanks for the business, and also for the patience when we got behind!).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #3,158 of 3,203
  A heads-up, we are now getting almost to the end of our pipeline of parts for the Mad Dog line, there are only a handful left.  

My estimate is we have at most enough parts for 10-15 days of sales for the Mad Dogs, and probably less for the Pros.  The website now reflects the remaining inventory for sale.  When the counter goes to "zero" no more orders will be taken for these headphones.

If there's a spike in orders our delivery forecast may be slightly longer than the 2 weeks we forecast right now (demand has been epic over the holiday, thanks for the business, and also for the patience when we got behind!).

I assume that if we send in a mad dog to get upgraded to a pro that this will still happen. Is this correct?

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #3,160 of 3,203
Upgrades will continue for some time, we will give notice well before that service ends.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #3,161 of 3,203

I have a modded HD650 (IMO a souped up HD600) and a Mad Dog Pro (recently had a Mad Dog 3.2). Also, I recently sold my LCD2 as well haha. I feel that the two compliment each other very well (MDP and HD650) and I can honestly say that I can live with both of these for a long time. They both present similar mids, with the Mad Dog Pro giving a more impactful bass with slightly better extension. I am not missing my LCD2 at all. 
smily_headphones1.gif

So, I say go for it!

Thanks for the input! I ordered the MDP's a few days ago, they're selling fast according to the site (like 1-2 per day). Now that they're almost extinct, I wonder what will replace the mad dog line when they're all gone. Guess time will tell.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you not like about your LCD2..and did you like the MDP better? Was it a revision 1, 2, or fazor?

I quite like 'dark and detailed' in a headphone..those two seem to fit the bill for me.

Thanks again for your time.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #3,162 of 3,203
I have a modded HD650 (IMO a souped up HD600) and a Mad Dog Pro (recently had a Mad Dog 3.2). Also, I recently sold my LCD2 as well haha. I feel that the two compliment each other very well (MDP and HD650) and I can honestly say that I can live with both of these for a long time. They both present similar mids, with the Mad Dog Pro giving a more impactful bass with slightly better extension. I am not missing my LCD2 at all. :)

So, I say go for it!

Could you also compare MDP to MD3.2 if memory allows?

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,163 of 3,203
compared to md3.2, the pro has more detail, more impact, and a larger sound stage with more air. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #3,164 of 3,203
In short, if I stayed with the MD3.2s, I would've been happy. Possibly one of the best values out there (especially when purchased used). But I've recently found a super deal on the MDP and immediately sold my MD3.2 shortly after.

Soundstage is the first thing you'll notice, it's about 35% wider. The sense of space on the MD3.2 was no slouch either, the Pros are just phenomenal for a closed headphone. Bass has gotten noticeably tighter, and whops a stronger punch. It may not be enough for some, but for me, it's perfect for EDM. The MD3.2 was fairly decent at EDM, these are way better.

Clarity and microdetails has gone way up too. Sometimes I'm not sure how I feel about this. The MD3.2 had a nice lush smokey flavor to it... it's more laidback and I enjoyed that aspect of it. The Pros lose some of that, and even though it is technically warm, it's fairly brighter than the MD3.2. The treble is definitely more present, and could be sibilant at times, but Dan provides doggie treats (pads and tuning dots) to help remedy that.

Am I happy with my purchase? Yeah, I found a killer deal on them and they're the logical upgrade to the 3.2, without having to go to the drier alpha dog sound. But used MD3.2s show up on 'for sale' for about $150-180, and I think that's one of the best deals out there. You can't go wrong with either IMO.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #3,165 of 3,203
Reading your description of the pros makes me feel like I made a mistake just getting the 3.2s.

In particular I wanted the Mad Dog's in the first place because I read the soundstage was really great for a closed headphone. Would you say that's the case? I plan to use them a fair amount as a gaming headphone. My AKG's for competitive and Mad Dog's for like single player stuff that could still benefit from decent positioning. And then music of course.

I'm supposed to be receiving them in the mail tomorrow. I suppose I could always just send them back for an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back