Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 18, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #4,546 of 8,051
After my second purchase/attempt with the M1060, I am left just as unhappy as the first time. I struggled through all of the different felts/pad mods that I hadn't tried before, and even went as far as ordering the same exact coffee filter as some users in here were using, for $20 incl. shipping from eBay. No matter what I tried, I was left unsatisfied.

I imagine the different opinions of about the M1060 is primarily based on which headphone they come from when trying it. And after having recently purchased the TH-X00 with Lawton 1 mod as well as having a Fidelio X2 already, I don’t find the use for the M1060s in my life.

The bass completely disappears once Vegan pads are applied, and I do not recommend paying $80 for what’s essentially only an improvement in comfort (which the stock pads are already pretty fantastic in), but a regression in sub-bass and generally a suppression in overall SQ and detail. They improve comfort, but nothing more.

The M1060 are, as I said, not bad headphones. I would say they are impressive and worth the $299 (but not much more). And had it not been for two major issues with it, I would have kept it:

1) Even with stock pads, it’s no match against the TH-X00, in terms of bass. The modded X00 also matches the M1060 in clarity and detail.

2) There is some very obvious metal-like distortion at higher frequencies which really bothers me. I initially thought it was an issue with my first M1060 unit, but have found the same problem to exist with this one too. To better understand what I mean, listen to “Jeux d'eau” between 2:55 and 2:57 on Spotify:

Once you notice it, it’s impossible to overlook. I’m also not sure if this is an issue with the M1060 or Planar headphones in general…

3) I can’t get over the fact that the sound feels “veiled” compared to other dynamic headphones. People keep talking about how detailed Planar headphones are, and I honestly don’t agree with this it all. They feel opaquer in their sound signature than dynamic headphones, and are not inducing at all. I hate to sound like a pleb, but even my Fidelio X2 outmatches the M1060 in this regard. Sure, the M1060 might generally outmatch it in detail. But when everything sounds like there’s some invisible cloud between my ear and the drivers, there’s no point to it.

I tried this track and found no distortion to my ear, maybe the problem is not the HP itself, but how your ear received the sound. Everyone's go a different pair of ears and hear differently, I do agree that the TH-X00 are better in bass but I personally prefer the planar sound more.

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #4,547 of 8,051
I've never heard this ... Can you elaborate ?? Thanks
I've just read it time and time again about anything is better than USB (AES/EBU>SPDIF Coax>SPDIF Optical>USB) and keeping Schiit products on, especially Yggy and Gumby, there is a substantial difference. I've experienced this myself with Gumby and I also leave Jot on to minimize the "treble glare".

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #4,548 of 8,051
I've just read it time and time again about anything is better than USB (AES/EBU>SPDIF Coax>SPDIF Optical>USB) and keeping Schiit products on, especially Yggy and Gumby, there is a substantial difference. I've experienced this myself with Gumby and I also leave Jot on to minimize the "treble glare".

To add to this, Schiit even mentions on their own website that USB has issues, particularly USB 3 ports. I think most people try to avoid USB when possible with Schiit products. Also, the leaving DACs on 24/7 thing supposedly has to do with the multibit R2R implementation and needing a constant, warm temperature. It is advised to keep all the multibit DACs on all the time--Mimby, Bimby, Gumby, Yggy.

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #4,549 of 8,051
I tried this track and found no distortion to my ear, maybe the problem is not the HP itself, but how your ear received the sound. Everyone's go a different pair of ears and hear differently, I do agree that the TH-X00 are better in bass but I personally prefer the planar sound more.
I think there’s something really strange going on with the drivers on the M1060 – maybe someone with extensive experience on Planar headphones can help me understand. The same song where I reported the metallic distortion, had much less distortion when listened to it late in the evening yesterday; I could barely hear later on that nights. This is definitely not subjective thing, as I’ve even had friends and family members test them to make sure it wasn’t placebo. It was back earlier this morning, but now it’s completely gone.

I’ve never been a believer of burn-in and have always assumed (and still assume) that it’s our own ears getting used to the sound signature of the headphone. Much like how our eyes gradually adjust to a monitor when we apply a new color calibration. And out of all the dynamic headphones I’ve owned, I’ve never actually been able to pin-point the existence of any burn-in.

I didn’t want to say anything at first, but I’m 99% convinced now that M1060 burn-in isn’t just normalization of the ears, but an actual objective thing. I swear that’s exactly what’s happening with these Planar drivers – after about 30 hours of “burn-in”. And it’s not necessarily burn-in in the conventional sense, but more of a back and forth depending on how often I listen to them. It has given me a very polarizing experience at different times. Sometimes it has a lot of great and tight bass – other times not. Do Planars need to be “warmed up” or am I going mad?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #4,550 of 8,051
Don't discount things like fatigue, mind set at the time of listening, and previous exposure to different sound frequencies. Fatigue can make tolerable treble piercing and unbearable, mind set has a HUGE effect on how you perceive music, including expectations and disposition at the start of listening. Previous exposure to noise is a great influence as well since your ears will tune out frequently heard sounds and that frequency range will be diminished, it's the brains built in multi-band compressor.

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #4,551 of 8,051
I think there’s something really strange going on with the drivers on the M1060 – maybe someone with extensive experience on Planar headphones can help me understand. The same song where I reported the metallic distortion, had much less distortion when listened to it late in the evening yesterday; I could barely hear later on that nights. This is definitely not subjective thing, as I’ve even had friends and family members test them to make sure it wasn’t placebo. It was back earlier this morning, but now it’s completely gone.

I’ve never been a believer of burn-in and have always assumed (and still assume) that it’s our own ears getting used to the sound signature of the headphone. Much like how our eyes gradually adjust to a monitor when we apply a new color calibration. And out of all the dynamic headphones I’ve owned, I’ve never actually been able to pin-point the existence of any burn-in.

I didn’t want to say anything at first, but I’m 99% convinced now that M1060 burn-in isn’t just normalization of the ears, but an actual objective thing. I swear that’s exactly what’s happening with these Planar drivers – after about 30 hours of “burn-in”. And it’s not necessarily burn-in in the conventional sense, but more of a back and forth depending on how often I listen to them. It has given me a very polarizing experience at different times. Sometimes it has a lot of great and tight bass – other times not. Do Planars need to be “warmed up” or am I going mad?

Don't discount things like fatigue, mind set at the time of listening, and previous exposure to different sound frequencies. Fatigue can make tolerable treble piercing and unbearable, mind set has a HUGE effect on how you perceive music, including expectations and disposition at the start of listening. Previous exposure to noise is a great influence as well since your ears will tune out frequently heard sounds and that frequency range will be diminished, it's the brains built in multi-band compressor.

Yeah, there are so many variables involved it is hard to say for sure. While there may be some true initial burn-in with the actual planar drivers in the M1060, that wouldn't make sense for why it sounds different at different times of the day. My best guess is that it might have to do with you switching headphones? Each of my headphones absolutely sounds different when I listen to one for a while and then immediately switch. If you are seriously questioning whether to keep these or not, I hight recommend ONLY listening to M1060 exclusively for at least 1-2 weeks. The more you switch headphones the more you will only pay attention to differences.

Other factors that might cause issues are placement of the headphone. Do you wear glasses at different times of the day? There could be a subtle difference in how you place the headphones on your head during these different times. People don't realize how big of a deal proper seal is. Kyle, the Verum Sonus reviewer, noted that he felt the M1060 were a little weak in the bass until he realized it was because he wasn't getting a proper seal. Pushing the cups to his head he said it was a huge difference. And switching pads for him gave him a better seal and more prominent bass. In fact, bass and treble regions are the 2 main frequency ares that are affected by the position of a headphone. Just the other day a pretty significant video released about why frequency measurements for headphones are error prone and what the major challenges are. It might even explain the current debate right now between Tyll from Innerfidelity and Jude from Head-fi on the measurements of the Sony MDR-Z1R.

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #4,552 of 8,051
I got my m1060s this week, live in Australia so I got delt with the $100 shipping.

All in all I'm happy, comparing my latent akg k702s unmodded the m1060 felt more closed but warmer and punchier. The bass literally felt like drums are slapping next to your ear and the embodied sound felt alive, I could also pick out bad masterings on songs and YouTube where as the akg blended it all smoothly into a cocktail dulling the sharpness or rawness in YouTube videos with smooth underlining bass and blended the sound whereas the 1060s had sharper seperations. The lingering buildup bass is missing in the 1060 but I find the impact is way better and sub bass much fuller. Once I took the foam out... My god. The highs sparkled, the sound was airy cusping on scary highs and lowest bass, it felt along with the plush leather that I was sitting back as a kid in a expensive cinema watching the matrix for the first time or listening to some iconic 90s house. Massive attacks drum knocks are an experience, now that the highs are revealed it really beats out the akg in all areas. If I could class this headphone it's like "1060s are the ones who KNOCK".

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #4,553 of 8,051
Any thoughts about M1060 vs HE400i/s or HD600/650? Not a lot of info about this comparison in this thread... wondering which phones to get for under $500.
I'm a good person to answer since I recently purchased both the M1060 and HE400i and been listening to both. The M1060 I got about a month ago and the HE400i just last week. And my main headphones for years were the HD650.

This is easy: choose the M1060. But of course it depends on what you're looking for. You might have preferences that are different than mine or be looking for something specific.

Let's start with the HD650. Even though I used them for years, I never found them fully engaging. I had them paired with a HeadRoom amp. Maybe that was the problem. But I just did not find them to be fun headphones. I will say, however, that their strong suit is the midrange, especially how they can render lead vocals on the right recording. Playing my Dylan SACDs on them is an experience. Jazz vocals also sound excellent. Nevertheless, I'm finding that I prefer planar magnetic headphones to any dynamic ones I have tried.

Between the M1060 and the HE400i, to me it's obvious that the 1060 is the better pair. By a lot. Compared to them, the 400i looks and sounds toylike. But again there might be reasons why you would prefer the 400i.

For example, they still sound pretty darn good and are much lighter than the 1060. If you're not into a heavy pair of cans, then you might prefer the 400i. I would say their lightness makes the 400i more comfortable. They seem to clamp harder than the 1060, but I find that the pressure is more evenly distributed. On the other hand, while they are heavier, the 1060 has thicker pads to soften the blow. By the way, what makes them lighter also makes the 400i feel a little cheap and plasticky.

The 400i sounds darker to me. If that's the sound you prefer, choose them. At the same time, they can also sound quite sibilant (s's and th's can cut to the quick when I have them amped to my DragonFly Red). But this is not a problem on all recordings.

With certain recordings, the 1060 can acquire a cold treble glare that some people might find off-putting. I only noticed the glare on the 1060 when I switched back to them from the 400i, which sounds warmer to me.

Listen to a lot of jazz? Go for the 1060. Don't even think about it. The bass on the 400i doesn't compare.

Like classical? While it doesn't have a big soundstage for symphonies, the 400i has a warmness that makes classical music engaging. Listened to an entire opera on the 400i yesterday and was totally absorbed.

In general what stands out most to me is how small everything sounds on the 400i compared to the 1060. The 1060 sounds bigger, bolder, and roomier. But it's also more aggressive. If you don't like aggressive headphones, the sound of the 400i is more compact and will give you a more gentle, intimate, and cozy experience (except for the sibilance on them, which can get sharp with certain tracks).

The 400i and 1060 are so different that I'm probably going to keep both. I like them for different reasons. One thing I am sure about, though, is that, considering the M1060 is $299, the 400i is not I repeat not worth their full price of $449. I got them for $249 and at that price they are worth it relative to the 1060 at full price.

If you are seriously questioning whether to keep these or not, I hight recommend ONLY listening to M1060 exclusively for at least 1-2 weeks. The more you switch headphones the more you will only pay attention to differences.
I agree. The last couple of days I decided to put the 1060 away and only listen to the 400i so I could evaluate whether I liked it on its own terms. Turns out I do and will probably keep it. But no way would I choose it over the M1060.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #4,554 of 8,051
went to my local hifi store, and listened to the Bowers & Wilkins p9, p7 and the Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon. I found that the p7's sounded better than the p9 (which was very bass heavy and spilled into the midrange so much, strange for a $899 headphone), but the Nighthawks was better than both of them. That being said, the Nighthawks sounded childish in comparison to the m1060's. There is something about the wall of sound that the m1060's can produce that ruin every other headphone I've heard since. If it hadn't been for the m1060's, the Nighthawks might have been my next purchase. Very nice sounding, mellow tone. Liked it a lot.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #4,555 of 8,051
Yeah, there are so many variables involved it is hard to say for sure. While there may be some true initial burn-in with the actual planar drivers in the M1060, that wouldn't make sense for why it sounds different at different times of the day. My best guess is that it might have to do with you switching headphones? Each of my headphones absolutely sounds different when I listen to one for a while and then immediately switch. If you are seriously questioning whether to keep these or not, I hight recommend ONLY listening to M1060 exclusively for at least 1-2 weeks. The more you switch headphones the more you will only pay attention to differences.

Other factors that might cause issues are placement of the headphone. Do you wear glasses at different times of the day? There could be a subtle difference in how you place the headphones on your head during these different times. People don't realize how big of a deal proper seal is. Kyle, the Verum Sonus reviewer, noted that he felt the M1060 were a little weak in the bass until he realized it was because he wasn't getting a proper seal. Pushing the cups to his head he said it was a huge difference. And switching pads for him gave him a better seal and more prominent bass. In fact, bass and treble regions are the 2 main frequency ares that are affected by the position of a headphone. Just the other day a pretty significant video released about why frequency measurements for headphones are error prone and what the major challenges are. It might even explain the current debate right now between Tyll from Innerfidelity and Jude from Head-fi on the measurements of the Sony MDR-Z1R.

No glasses, no switching of headphones or anything.

The M1060 is making me crazy! I absolutely adore it. Then I hate it. Then I miss it. Then I hate it. Then I love it…. I’ve never been as insecure about a headphone before…

…that was before I got the NFB-11.28 (2017). Details became a bit richer, mids got more relaxed and the bass – which I initially was afraid would take a dive – got better with more punch to it! I bet the warmer sounding mod of the NFB-11 had something to do with it, and I'm now 100% sure that I want to keep these. I don't even know if I want to use EQApo to bring it up to a preferred level anymore (I have zero experience with EQing in general, and have this constant fear that it will **** with the SQ), as I’m more than happy to use it as it is right now.

All I need to do now is to find a v-shaped headphone to pair it with. I’ve already ordered the E-MU Teaks on Massdrop (will deliver in August), and I’ll end up with either them or one of the ZMF headphones to succeed the Fidelio X2s I already have (which is used mainly for BF1 and movies). Other suggestions would be nice.

My mod: M1060 with Hario V60 coffee filter under the grill (over the foam), Audeze Vegan Pads and these cables.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4,556 of 8,051
Your going to love the E-MU Teaks. Grab the Dekoni TH-X00 Massdrop Sheepskin earpads the next time they drop. I'm so satisfied with the TH-X00 and Dekoni TH-X00 pads without attenuation ring I'm contemplating selling the M1060 and haven't used the HE-6 in a couple days now. Being closed back they also allow me to listen at lower volumes preserving my hearing.

Jun 19, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #4,557 of 8,051
I had the TH-X00 with Lawton 1 Mod for a week. And although I did like them a lot (that bass!), the treble and the mids were a bit "too much" if you ask me. I also did not like the comfort of them at all -- the angled earpads were to thin to be comfortable over longer periods, and the headband on the top was rough and hard. The biggest deal-breaker was no attachable cables, though, which is why I sold them, and decided to purchase the E-MU Teak.

I'l definitely check out the Dekoni ear pads, as I doubt the stock pads will be good enough. I am still wondering how the EMU compares in SQ to the ZMF headphones though – especially the cheaper ones (Blackwood, Vibro), as I can get those for the same price/cheaper used.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #4,558 of 8,051
went to my local hifi store, and listened to the Bowers & Wilkins p9, p7 and the Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon.
It's good you have a local hifi store that sells something like the Nighthawk. All we have where I live is Best Buy, Target, and Walmart, and they all sell a combination of the same mass market headphones: beats, Sony, Bose, Skull Candy. And even then you have to buy them and take them home to get a sense of what they sound like since the way they have them set up at the displays is garbage. I've been looking at the Nighthawk. Is it as dark as it sounds? Very curious about those headphones.

'm so satisfied with the TH-X00 and Dekoni TH-X00 pads without attenuation ring I'm contemplating selling the M1060
If you do, would you be selling them modded? I haven't wanted to rip up my pair, and it would be nice to compare. I'm new here so don't know how this works, but I know you guys also trade and let each other borrow stuff. Do you also rent them for a week? I really just want to have a modded pair for a week or so so I can compare to see if I like the mod. Buying another M1060 seems a little much when I'm already looking at two or three other headphones (Nighthawk being one). If I could just borrow or rent a modded 1060 for a week that would be ideal.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #4,559 of 8,051
Brahmsian
My local Best Buy has the brands that you listed in a section on the main floor; and the better headphones in the Magnolia high end room in the back of the store. I saw B&W, Sennheiser, and Denon back there. Maybe yours does as well...
:wink:

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #4,560 of 8,051
It's not so much that my modded TH-X00 has more bass (it has, but not much), but that it sounds way more "polished". I understood your description of "bass heavy" as meaning a lot of bass; my TH-X00, or the way it has been modded at least, does not feel like that at all. If I were to compare the Fidelio X2, TH-X00 (Lawton Tune-up, Bubinga cups and angled pads) and the M1060, the latter two are closer to each other than either are to the X2 in terms of level of bass.

As for the E-MU Teaks, I know they are supposed to have a tad less bass than the TH-X00. But that's compared to the X00 in its stock form. From what I've read, the X00 loses a lot of its bass with the Lawton Tune-up kit.

As of right now, I only have the O2+ODAC and E09K+E17 available to test them on, and I'm mainly playing/testing on Spotify.

These 1060's scale very well. Try them with a Mojo and they improve dramatically ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back