Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 30, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #3,391 of 8,051
Give them a try. Add a 3 inch paper towel circle to the back under the grill on top of the black foam if you want more brightness/bass.

3 inches thick or just a 3 inch raidus of a single sheet of paper towel? and i leave the foam in or remove it?

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #3,393 of 8,051
So it's 2-3 people that have cracked revision 2's so far. Question is out of how many... Probably a few hundred? But it's only been a week or two.

I would have thought to solve the issue they need to leave enough space for it to contract and expand with humidity, along with a bit of treatment to reduce it drying out / or too much water getting in.

Any thoughts on how big a job it'd be to repair oneself if it happened? Bit of glue/resin and or perhaps something like electrical tape wrapped around it. It's almost certainly going to crack at the weakest point and where it receives the most stress, so once it's compromised might be likely to happen again.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #3,395 of 8,051
Whelp, mine just cracked on the front side of the left earcup. FYI, it's a second batch. I was in the other room and I heard two sharp snaps. I live in an exceedingly dry, hot climate so I think it was just a matter of time.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much. And considering how OCD I am, that's saying something. It's purely cosmetic at this point. If it starts doing weird things to the sound or the yolk comes out of the ear cup or something I will send it back. Otherwise, I'm not going to worry about.

Well, I take that back. If they start making the cups out of aluminum (The aluminum LCD-2 is sexy!) I will cash in on my warranty. But I don't think that's going to happen.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,396 of 8,051
So I've just completed the paper towel mod and Audeze microsuede pads swap - well, did the Paper towel mod only first, listened to a song, then the Audeze pad and listened to same song. Do like what the paper towel brings to the sound no matter the pad, but not so much the Audeze microsuede pads...think I prefer the stock pads over them. While not exactly what I was thinking it would be, I still do like the M1060. They are just more on the analytical, dry side than I was expecting them to be. Listened to the same song immediately afterwards on my TH-X00 PH's, and yep, those are EXACTLY what I love!

The M1060 lack that awesome bass and the warm, energetic, lively yet still clean and precise presentation of sound that the TH-X00 PH's give (Lawton Tune-up Kit + ZMF Ori equivalent lambskin pads with custom attenuator plates placed in back section of earpads). While a much more clinical sounding headphone, the M1060 is NOT boring sounding - and that's a good thing! I really think it's a planar thing for me, just prefer that Fostex Biodyna driver to most anything else really and the planars I have heard just never did anything for me. STAX Lamda series electrostatics on the other hand, those are special to me and I'll eventually get one (SR-L500 most likely).

Overall I do like what the M1060 bring - they would be what I would consider my neutral reference cans now I guess; they are as neutral a can as I have and like, and I did want to have a planar headphone in my setup that I liked, which I do with them. I am thinking about trying the Audeze lambskin pads though...should be more my preference based on the stock vs Audeze microsuede pads. Would be nice to get that magnetic setup to swap between pads depending on listening needs, it's nice to be able to swap pads and taylor the sound as needed for mood/criteria needs (say from a more reference need [like Z's sound demos for example...] to a more normal listening/jamming to the music collection.)

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #3,397 of 8,051
I gave my M1060 a a harmon bass boost, which is +4db to 100hz or so, then gently rolls down to baseline at 200hz. The M1060's bass EQs extremely well. It'll be difficult to compare to the THX00 purplehearts though, those things are truly basshead cans.

I'ma do the paper towel mod tomorrow I think, hope it brings good results. A smoother transition from lower to upper midrange and less shout is always welcome.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #3,398 of 8,051
Rev. 2 arrived on Friday - no major build problems for me (yet?). They look a bit nicer in person than online, but if you look carefully you can see a few minor places where they cut corners with the overall finish. Most noticeable is that the outer grilles don't properly mate up to the wood body, not really complaining at this price point though.

Driving with the headphone out of my Native Instruments Komplete, which does a decent job. Even my Galaxy cellphone can get it up to a somewhat loud level. I'd like to try a proper amp for it though, might grab a Magni 2U at some point. From what I've read, my Little Dot II isn't going to much good with these.

Lots of REALLY peaky (high-Q) resonances mostly around the 4k-5k region, which I'm hoping is from the leather pads and will be corrected with the soon-to-arrive Audeze Vegans.

Other than some freq. response weirdness in the range discussed above I'm pretty impressed with the sound from these headphones, coming from a DT990-250. Noticeably better imaging, a bit deeper soundstage, and a bit more transparency and micro-detail (I hate that word, but it's the best thing I can think of to describe the difference) than the DTs. These are much more laid back than the DTs, though that isn't saying much. Hopefully the cskippy changes will even out the problems that I do have with the sound.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #3,399 of 8,051
So I've just completed the paper towel mod and Audeze microsuede pads swap - well, did the Paper towel mod only first, listened to a song, then the Audeze pad and listened to same song. Do like what the paper towel brings to the sound no matter the pad, but not so much the Audeze microsuede pads...think I prefer the stock pads over them. While not exactly what I was thinking it would be, I still do like the M1060. They are just more on the analytical, dry side than I was expecting them to be. Listened to the same song immediately afterwards on my TH-X00 PH's, and yep, those are EXACTLY what I love!
It's definitely a planar thing. Most planars are flat from 20Hz to 1kHz, which can lead to lack of bass weight. The presentation is also different compared to dynamics. Apples and Oranges.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #3,400 of 8,051
Using paper towel mod now, definitely brings all the information closer to your ears, I actually feel like there's a bit less bass / kick somewhat compared to usual, possibly because of the high end boost I imagine or the lack of tightness.

Curious how the vegans will fare with the paper towels, I think I could get used to this, it's a whole different sound imo to no paper towel, more in your face as someone mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Perhaps about the same amount of bass but with less slam.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #3,401 of 8,051

The M1060 lack that awesome bass and the warm, energetic, lively yet still clean and precise presentation of sound that the TH-X00 PH's give (Lawton Tune-up Kit + ZMF Ori equivalent lambskin pads with custom attenuator plates placed in back section of earpads). While a much more clinical sounding headphone, the M1060 is NOT boring sounding - and that's a good thing! I really think it's a planar thing for me, just prefer that Fostex Biodyna driver to most anything else really and the planars I have heard just never did anything for me. STAX Lamda series electrostatics on the other hand, those are special to me and I'll eventually get one (SR-L500 most likely).

Overall I do like what the M1060 bring - they would be what I would consider my neutral reference cans now I guess; they are as neutral a can as I have and like, and I did want to have a planar headphone in my setup that I liked, which I do with them. I am thinking about trying the Audeze lambskin pads though...should be more my preference based on the stock vs Audeze microsuede pads. Would be nice to get that magnetic setup to swap between pads depending on listening needs, it's nice to be able to swap pads and taylor the sound as needed for mood/criteria needs (say from a more reference need [like Z's sound demos for example...] to a more normal listening/jamming to the music collection.)

The vegans subtract some treble and add some bass don't they?
Or they just subtract treble?

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #3,402 of 8,051
I re-did the mod, instead of the paper towel I took my napkin folded into 4 and cut a perfect circle, I then ended up with 4 seperate circles, combined 2 each to make 2 pairs and put them on each foam pad behind the grill.

Yep, sounds good, probably 1.5 thickness of the paper towel I'd guess as the napkin at it's thinnest felt a bit thinner than the paper towel.

Shame I can't measure.
I scratched my wooden cup while putting the screws back in though, so ****ing sad, nice neat line down it like the cracks people have been getting, lol.. :frowning2:
Tips on restoration?

Screws were tough to get out too with a little screwdriver, you can see the silver from a small amount of stripping now from unscrewing and screwing back in a few times.. :\

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,403 of 8,051
Green is stock pad, Yellow is Audeze pad, no paper towel.

9725603_l.png

May 1, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #3,404 of 8,051
What did the vegans do post-paper towel mod and different to the stock pads?

Paper Towel with stock pads brought out the bass and mids/highs, while sounding less dark and clearer than stock, kind of swung a little in the direction of the Fostex as far as overall fullness of sound - noticeably better and less stale/analytical compared to stock. Audeze microsuede swung it back towards a stock pad more analytical sound and I think reduced mids a little, but with better overall detail and precision. Again, this is my first listen with only a few songs on the Audeze microsuede pads. I do know I prefer the sound of the stock pads with the 3" dia paper towel mod over stock or the Audeze microsuede pads with paper towel mod for music listening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back