Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 30, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3,376 of 8,051
Do you guys think they're still likely to make changes / revisions? (Soon?)

I'm very keen to pull the trigger on these. But being in NZ, shipping and tax makes them pretty pricey.
Returning or getting replaced under warranty might cost as much US$100... Really need the QC issues sorted.

They seem like they're consistently in stock after the long break from revision 1. Obviously best to try sort out everything with revision 2, rather than slowly fix it with multiple revisions...

Looks like the only 'major' flaw left, after connectors and headband, was the cracking. Had mine over a week now and no cracks. My V1 set cracked before the first week was finished. Still ... time will tell. We'll have to see how well, what looks like a coating on the inside of the cups, works. I still think they should have routed out the inside another 1/32" to 1/16" more, as I think it's the tight fit of the drivers/wood shrinkage that caused the problem. Wood will shrink and expand a bit without cracking most of the time, if it has the room. I would keep my eyes peeled on this forum as I'm SURE if cracks appear on V2's, you'll hear about it.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #3,377 of 8,051
Yup, but don't forget, just because *some* people have wood cracking issues, doesn't necessarily mean you will.

I live in the Central Midwest, where large temperature swings are the norm. In the time I've had my day one V1 set, the temp here has gone from below freezing, to 80F, and now back around freezing. Still no cracking on my set.

Seems to be largely luck of the draw.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #3,378 of 8,051
Yup, but don't forget, just because *some* people have wood cracking issues, doesn't necessarily mean you will.

I live in the Central Midwest, where large temperature swings are the norm. In the time I've had my day one V1 set, the temp here has gone from below freezing, to 80F, and now back around freezing. Still no cracking on my set.

Seems to be largely luck of the draw.

More to do with humidity than temperature. !00 degrees in AZ is quite different than somewhere in FL.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #3,379 of 8,051
I lasted 45 minutes with these on before I started developing a hotspot on the top of my head. Not too bad, but not great either. The suspension strap should be wider and completely flat like Hifiman ones.

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #3,380 of 8,051
My monoprice m1060 just cracked last night. Front side of the right cup. Anyone from the first batch send in their m1060 for repair and get it back? I'm curious if it lasted longer once they got it back. I'm very hesitant to just send it back and get my money back because I love the sound on these. I haven't even owned it for a week though. Might end up buying a humidifier for my room when I send it back for repair so it sits at 50~%. My room hovers between 35%-40% humidity, which may be too dry for these?

Anyway, anyone have luck with their repairs from the first batch?

edit: mine are from second batch.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #3,383 of 8,051
My monoprice m1060 just cracked last night. Front side of the right cup. Anyone from the first batch send in their m1060 for repair and get it back? I'm curious if it lasted longer once they got it back. I'm very hesitant to just send it back and get my money back because I love the sound on these. I haven't even owned it for a week though. Might end up buying a humidifier for my room when I send it back for repair so it sits at 50~%. My room hovers between 35%-40% humidity, which may be too dry for these?

Anyway, anyone have luck with their repairs from the first batch?

Second batch or first batch m1060?

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3,386 of 8,051
No cracks for me either. I have had my V1 since launch. They have been perfect...no cracks, cutouts, or headband issues.

I see you own 3 really good headphones, which head do you prefer for gaming in your signature and which for danc/pop music?

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #3,387 of 8,051
I like the M1060 for gaming best out of the three. It has a very decent sound stage and their bass response is extremely immersive. They are also amazing for localizing sound and are quite detailed. I was shocked how good they are for gaming, I wasn't expecting much in that regard when I first got them.

As for dance/pop, I'm more of a rock guy. I do have some Daft Punk albums,I would give the edge to the M1060 with it's bass response for that kind of music. Low bass hits on the M1060 are amazing. I do think overall the HD650 is more enjoyable day in and day out with progressive and hard rock, which is what I spend most of my time listening to.

The M1060 is more energetic and fun, the HD650 is more restrained but sounds more enjoyable to me. I feel lame saying this but the 650 sounds "Hi-Fi" to me, It's the best descriptor I can come up with unfortunately. There is something about the HD650's overall presentation that sucks me in. That being said the M1060 is an amazing headphone and I will not be parting with it anytime soon. It's a good compliment to the HD650 and a nice change of pace having the same type of signature, but being a more energetic version.

The K7XX is a distant 3rd to the HD650 and M1060. It is decent for gaming but sounds a bit too distant in it's sound stage. For dance music it definitely wouldn't be my first choice. It's a good headphone but doesn't get much head time, I like the other two much more. I'm actually going to sell mine very soon.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #3,388 of 8,051
I like the M1060 for gaming best out of the three. It has a very decent sound stage and their bass response is extremely immersive. They are also amazing for localizing sound and are quite detailed. I was shocked how good they are for gaming, I wasn't expecting much in that regard when I first got them.

As for dance/pop, I'm more of a rock guy. I do have some Daft Punk albums,I would give the edge to the M1060 with it's bass response for that kind of music. Low bass hits on the M1060 are amazing. I do think overall the HD650 is more enjoyable day in and day out with progressive and hard rock, which is what I spend most of my time listening to.

The M1060 is more energetic and fun, the HD650 is more restrained but sounds more enjoyable to me. I feel lame saying this but the 650 sounds "Hi-Fi" to me, It's the best descriptor I can come up with unfortunately. There is something about the HD650's overall presentation that sucks me in. That being said the M1060 is an amazing headphone and I will not be parting with it anytime soon. It's a good compliment to the HD650 and a nice change of pace having the same type of signature, but being a more energetic version.

The K7XX is a distant 3rd to the HD650 and M1060. It is decent for gaming but sounds a bit too distant in it's sound stage. For dance music it definitely wouldn't be my first choice. It's a good headphone but doesn't get much head time, I like the other two much more. I'm actually going to sell mine very soon.

Hmm, I agree with you on K7xx, but the HD650 imaging/soundstage just is to weird for me. I remember watching some Netflix with it, and when the audience would clap it just, there was no spatial seperation at all from the actors talking, and some songs like Rolling Stones- Paint, It Black, it just got the distancing and placement all wrong for the instruments (imo), my current favorite can at the moment is the SHP-9500, but I am considering the M1060, its arriving in mail tomorrow actually, I am just debating whether or not I want to refuse it. bleh.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #3,389 of 8,051
Give them a try. Add a 3 inch paper towel circle to the back under the grill on top of the black foam if you want more brightness/bass.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3,390 of 8,051
Give them a try. Add a 3 inch paper towel circle to the back under the grill on top of the black foam if you want more brightness/bass.

Agreed. All you have to lose is the price of shipping. You have thirty days to make up your mind.

If sound stage is the biggest issue with the HD650, the M1060 trumps them in sound stage and imaging in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back