"Millett Hybrid" redux: NuHybrid headphone amp, using the Korg Nutube
Mar 12, 2017 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 507

pmillett

Pete Millet
Sponsor: TTVJ/Apex Hi-Fi

I just published the design of a DIY hybrid headphone amp using the new Korg Nutube 6P1.

It's a lot like the original "Millett Hybrid" that I published 15 years ago.  Instead of an old car radio tube, though, this one uses the new Korg Nutube.  The Nutube has been popular with DIYers in Japan since it started shipping at the end of last year, but so far I haven't seen it a lot outside Japan.

Like the original Millett hybrid, the whole thing runs off of a 24V power supply, so it's safe.  I used OPA551 opamps to drive the headphones, but you can use others as well.

You can find all the details on my web page, at http://www.pmillett.com/nuhybrid.html

Pete

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 507
Ordered!

Looks great, Pete!  I'm interested in trying it out.

BTW, it looks like there is a mixup in your diodes between the BOM and the schematic/board.  As best I can tell, the schematic/board is correct, but the BOM is not.  The diodes should be as follows in labeling the parts bag from Mouser/DigiKey:

D1 - P6KE33A
D2 - 1N5245B Zener
D3, D4 - IN4148
D5 - Lumex LED

Got a workable replacement for the relay - maybe an Omron?  Mouser and DigiKey are both out of stock - late-April for Mouser.  DigiKey says their delivery date is overdue.  Maybe they'll update soon.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 507
Thanks, I'll check the BOM.

The BOM has an alternate listed for the relay from Tyco/Axicom, which was in stock at Mouser last time I looked.

Pete

Ah - great!  I missed that.  Mouser has over 2,000 of them.
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 507
Was this announced just a few hours ago? I was just randomly searching for the original Millett hybrid because I was fondly reminiscing about building one years ago and came across this thread. I've ordered a board from your eBay store, Pete. Is the BOM listed on the Mouser project corrected now?

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 507
  BTW, it looks like there is a mixup in your diodes between the BOM and the schematic/board.  As best I can tell, the schematic/board is correct, but the BOM is not.  The diodes should be as follows in labeling the parts bag from Mouser/DigiKey:

OK, I have updated the BOM and assembly manual with the right diode reference designators.  Don't know how I missed that - thanks!

Pete

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 507
  Was this announced just a few hours ago? I was just randomly searching for the original Millett hybrid because I was fondly reminiscing about building one years ago and came across this thread. I've ordered a board from your eBay store, Pete. Is the BOM listed on the Mouser project corrected now?

Yes, I just posted this Sunday night.  Been working on it for a while, but just got the final PCB together to take pictures for the assembly manual...

The BOM is corrected - you might have to reload it to avoid getting a cached version.

Pete

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 507

Yes, I just posted this Sunday night.  Been working on it for a while, but just got the final PCB together to take pictures for the assembly manual...

The BOM is corrected - you might have to reload it to avoid getting a cached version.

Pete

Pete, was it just the diode reference designators that were incorrect? I may have ordered the parts already from the existing BOM
atsmile.gif
. I'll be okay if it was all the right parts but just labelled incorrectly. Looking forward to building another Millett Hybrid!

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 507
  Pete, was it just the diode reference designators that were incorrect? I may have ordered the parts already from the existing BOM
atsmile.gif
. I'll be okay if it was all the right parts but just labelled incorrectly. Looking forward to building another Millett Hybrid!

That's correct - the parts and quantities were correct, just the reference designators on the diodes were scrambled.  So you should be fine.

Pete

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 507
Received the PCB/NuTube in the mail today. My Mouser order should arrive tomorrow. Looks like I need to go fish my soldering iron and scope out of storage. Hopefully I'll get it assembled sometime this weekend.

I still have an external power supply I made for my original Millett Hybrid. I just measured it with my DMM is it's putting out ~27V. Should that be okay to power the NuHybrid, Pete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back