MicroZOTL2 Upgrade Discovery Thread.....
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #91 of 102
I've got a Mojo-fully-upgraded MZ2 with Illuminati PSU powering it also. I also have Utopia and HEK V2 headphones. My source is a CAPS V4 Pipeline also running off a linear PSU with a SoTM USB card connected to a very decent DAC.

I can categorically state that my setup is not in the least "fatiguing". Quite the opposite....I still get a huge grin on my face when I'm listening to my source material (both PCM and DSD).

Ben has been a huge help to me getting me to where I want with my setup, and I found him to be very patient and helpful when I was trying to iron out a few grounding and amp issues I was having. It was a bit of a journey, but I'm glad I found Ben and these threads to get me to the audio-listening high ground that I truly enjoy.

Thanks Ben!

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #92 of 102
Thanks Edmund.

My goal has always been to assist people in upgrading their mZ2 and to make sure that people understand what upgrades would synergize best with the rest of their gear.

Over the years I've found that system synergy is usually more important than the ultimate performance of any one piece of gear.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #93 of 102
This is actually very interesting. :wink:

My observation has been that the more people learn, the more they focus on source as opposed to amplification.

For example, I have a server made by Mojo Audio, their V3 DAC (which I now consider the core of my system), and an MZ2 which has been only modestly upgraded.

My next upgrade will definitely be to send back my server for some software and hardware boosts. Why not improve the MZ2 even more? Because it's just a window onto the source. The more you polish your window the more you reveal the limitations of the source.

Ben tried to make this point to me in our endless email discussions, and I was Highly Skeptical that it would make that much of a difference and be worth the money. I'm glad I accepted his offer of a risk-free trial, however, because it totally changed both my system and my thinking about these things.

FWIW.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #94 of 102
It is remarkable reading some of the two-channel forum discussions about DACs and seeing people with care in every aspect of their analog chain considering the lowest end of digital source to be adequate. So much faith in the speaker and amplifier.

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #95 of 102
The difficult thing is that "synergy" as Ben calls it is difficult or impossible to attain optimally.

Say I have a relatively balanced system worth $3000, and I decide to spend $1500 to upgrade it. Something is going to end up being better than everything else! You just can't get around it.

That being said, you still don't want to end up with one aspect of your system that is vastly superior to all the other parts....

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #96 of 102
It is remarkable reading some of the two-channel forum discussions about DACs and seeing people with care in every aspect of their analog chain considering the lowest end of digital source to be adequate. So much faith in the speaker and amplifier.

Very true. I figure that if you want to start "lifting veils" as the audiophile saying goes you will want to have something beautiful to uncover. If you are going to splurge on one end of your system let it be the front end. For digital that would be from music server through to DAC.

It is certainly common for folks to buy good headphones or speakers and be very dissatisfied because they have uncovered inadequacies upstream. I know because I have done that!

Garbage in... garbage out as they say :)

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #97 of 102
Acetone should dissolve the loctite but I assume that is already known.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #98 of 102
I'm always shocked at how people can spend good money on amps and speakers/headphones but then not on the source. Then make comments about how they like another piece of gear better, not even understanding how their system is going to sound once they get a decent source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 7, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #99 of 102
[Mod Comment]

I've spent a bit of time trimming this thread and taking out some posts which contravene our rules. A lot of the discussion I removed should have been via PM rather than in open forum. Please don't do this again and please always consider the following words of advice which are at the top of our Posting Guidelines

Be excellent to each other

Claiming lack of diplomatic skills is never going to wash when you are starting to publicly attack a person (ie naming names etc).

Lets get back to discussion of the gear.

Thanks

Jul 7, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #100 of 102
It's a bit far timewise, but sometime in May or June we may borrow the latest model Mojo Audio DAC at Urban HiFi to let people hear it over here, and maybe we can organize another DAC comparison. We'll see when it's a bit closer at hand.

Hi. I'm curious if you ever got to compare these DAC's. Haven't been able to get down to the DC meets, hope to one of these days...

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #101 of 102
Hi. I'm curious if you ever got to compare these DAC's. Haven't been able to get down to the DC meets, hope to one of these days...

Unfortunately, being extremely busy with other things has kept me from organizing any serious listening events. Also pursuing some other DAC leads that might be interesting. Maybe in the Fall. If (when, let's say WHEN!) MrSpeakers is at Capital Audiofest, he will likely have it there.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #102 of 102
When does that happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back