Micro iUSB3.0 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #166 of 664
Reply in italics:-

If it were my money (and having tried all these parts):

PC > iPurifier2 Type A > iDSD(BL) > headphone (Meze 99c / HD800s / Noble Encore)

Thanks for your input. Am I correct to understand that it is an overkill then (i.e. the iUSB3.0 & Gemini specific to the proposed setup) in your experience?

Sorry but PC specs vary a lot and we cannot assume. What is the processor?
Intel® Core™ i7 6700T
detail specs:- https://www.asus.com/sg/All-in-One-PCs/Zen-AiO-Pro-Z240IC/specifications/

More importantly what is the speed of your internet connection?
1 Gbps fiber

What do you mean by "on Extreme"? Is that a Spotify setting?
Yes, Spotify settings for file quality.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #167 of 664
Would have been great if one could see how much the improvements there are with intended 'upgrade' to a setup (i.e. based on individual home setup). Unfortunately, retailers here generally do not offer no quibble money-back option... thus any user experience would help. Thanks.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #168 of 664
Manage to grab a re-sale unit at a reasonably good bargain for an iUSB3.0 and managed to picked it up today.

Plugged it in and... color me IMPRESSED!

PC > iUSB3.0 > iDSD (BL) > Meze 99c

For starters, the 'crackling' noise is GONE when I am working on multiple browsers! I can now work on my PC and listen at the same time without having second thoughts whenever I pops on another application / browser.

Sound wise, clean and clear. Yup, clean & clear are the best way I can describe what I'm experiencing / hearing now. Happy with the setup. Happy with iUSB3.0.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #169 of 664
I just got my MicroiUSB3.0. It seems working fine. However, the iPower comes with it is noisy. It emits continuous very high frequency like around 15-16khz. Is this normal?
My DAC is home use DAC which draws power from the wall and no need the power from USB. Does it still work what it supposed to work if I unplug the iPower? The Micro iUSB is connected to laptop.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #170 of 664
I just got my MicroiUSB3.0. It seems working fine. However, the iPower comes with it is noisy. It emits continuous very high frequency like around 15-16khz. Is this normal?
My DAC is home use DAC which draws power from the wall and no need the power from USB. Does it still work what it supposed to work if I unplug the iPower? The Micro iUSB is connected to laptop.
I don't hear any noise from my iPower. To me that's not normal.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #171 of 664

Normal. It's good that you can still hear that high pitch.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #172 of 664
Well it's not normal per say, but not unheard of. I have one that's a little whiny. Really though It's just like coil whine on a gpu or psu or anything potentially electrical something's just vibrating. However, I'm pretty sure ifi will still replace it for you since depending on pitch or location it could be pretty noticeable.

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #173 of 664

It's normal. The first revision of iPower has that particular issue. Ask iFi for a replacement and problem solved. Also, the new version sounds better, slightly less bright and more relaxed.

But one thing to note, iPower Rev.2 introduces noise in your system when there is no ground, so make sure you have a ground.

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #174 of 664
It's normal. The first revision of iPower has that particular issue. Ask iFi for a replacement and problem solved. Also, the new version sounds better, slightly less bright and more relaxed.

I see. Mine is already too old for replacement, but I seriously doubt that the rev 2 sounds less bright and more relaxed. Maybe due to lack of high pitch sound drowning one's ears, but mine is tucked away where its noise doesn't reach my ears.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #175 of 664
For starters, the 'crackling' noise is GONE when I am working on multiple browsers! I can now work on my PC and listen at the same time without having second thoughts whenever I pops on another application / browser.

Hmm... I may have jumped the gun and got a little over-excited. As an update my current status, afraid I still heard 'crackling' or 'breaking' sound as the browser pages load. Almost as if the 'network' / 'data' / 'processor' couldn't catch up with the 'surge' (and I don't think this has anything to do with how well iUSB can supply the power to my DAC). Anyway, as much as I hope iUSB could be the 'solution', I am still trying to figure out where could the weak link be...

For now, if I'm doing pure listening on PC (usually via Tidal / Spotify), then these so called ' crackling' or 'breaking' noise wouldn't surface...

Oh well, an ongoing mystery for now.

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #176 of 664
Hmm... I may have jumped the gun and got a little over-excited. As an update my current status, afraid I still heard 'crackling' or 'breaking' sound as the browser pages load. Almost as if the 'network' / 'data' / 'processor' couldn't catch up with the 'surge' (and I don't think this has anything to do with how well iUSB can supply the power to my DAC). Anyway, as much as I hope iUSB could be the 'solution', I am still trying to figure out where could the weak link be...

For now, if I'm doing pure listening on PC (usually via Tidal / Spotify), then these so called ' crackling' or 'breaking' noise wouldn't surface...

Oh well, an ongoing mystery for now.
Try using a different usb port on your laptop as some usb ports can be shared with other things like the keyboard or trackpad or other usb ports that you may have something plugged in to.

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #177 of 664

Dear littlexx26

I am so sorry to hear that you have been having issues with your iPower.

Please open a support ticket (http://support.ifi-audio.com) as you may have a faulty unit.

In regards to your second question, no, it will not work, sorry. The power supply is required to operate.

Please let me know if those issues have been resolved.

Best wishes

iFi audio Team

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #178 of 664
Dear littlexx26

I am so sorry to hear that you have been having issues with your iPower.

Please open a support ticket (http://support.ifi-audio.com) as you may have a faulty unit.

In regards to your second question, no, it will not work, sorry. The power supply is required to operate.

Please let me know if those issues have been resolved.

Best wishes

iFi audio Team

Hi iFi audio team,

I have opened a ticket and Alix said a replacement will be sent to me and I am waiting for it at the moment.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #180 of 664
have got the ipower replacement but it seems like it makes the sound a little bit different. treble is toned down.

Glad I didn't exchange my first iPower. I prefer a higher treble extension than a rolled off one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back