Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #211 of 582
As far as reviews I would review them as they are sent on the tour. I reviewed them as stock because that is how folks will be buying them. As Meze was quoted in my review they expected the changes in sound from the 99 Classics, they tested the materials. I think it is obvious that they have the sound signature they were looking for.

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #212 of 582
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #213 of 582
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #214 of 582
I had a hard time following precisely what "went down" between us at MickyD's... apparently I was angry with you? lol. Nah, just didn't want to bias you before heard them yourself.

Speaking of not keeping those 99Cs.... :wink:

Call it "embellishing it for the reader" ...:sunglasses:
And whenever you would like them back, I have enough for a review of those excellent little buggers, too.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #215 of 582
Call it "embellishing it for the reader" ...:sunglasses:
And whenever you would like them back, I have enough for a review of those excellent little buggers, too.

If you want to keep them for a little longer, that's fine. I know them well enough that I won't "need" them on-hand for comparison when I do my NightOwl review.

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #216 of 582
99n.jpg
pair1.jpg
pair2.jpg
pair3.jpg
pair5.jpg
pair4.jpg
stack.jpg

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #217 of 582
My review is now live. Video review later tonight or tomorrow. Thank you @MezeTeam

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/meze-99-neo.22329/reviews
Nice review...thanks!

I guess you can't reply to reviews (yet?) so I thought I'd ask a question (clarification) here...

There was a slight contradiction as to which is more open sounding between the Neo & On2:

"My initial reaction is that the ON2 is harder to drive, has better top end, and a more open sound."

"Vocals are more laid back on the Neo’s, but it does seem to have a more open sound than the ON2, which is a positive."

I'm guessing that you thought the Neo was more open, but to quote the Odd Couple, you know what happens when you assume...

thanks again!

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #218 of 582
Nice review...thanks!

I guess you can't reply to reviews (yet?) so I thought I'd ask a question (clarification) here...

There was a slight contradiction as to which is more open sounding between the Neo & On2:

"My initial reaction is that the ON2 is harder to drive, has better top end, and a more open sound."

"Vocals are more laid back on the Neo’s, but it does seem to have a more open sound than the ON2, which is a positive."

I'm guessing that you thought the Neo was more open, but to quote the Odd Couple, you know what happens when you assume...

thanks again!

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, my initial reaction was that the ON2 was more open, but after dedicated listening, I would go with what I said later; that the Neo was a slightly more open sound. I think my initial response was due to not listening to the ON2 in about three weeks, and the "re-acclimation period." One of those "wow" moments where I had forgotten how good they sound, so naturally they MUST sound better.

After careful listens, the Neo is a more open sounding headphone than the ON2. That does not diminish my feeling that the ON2 is a really fine piece, which in many ways I prefer to the Neo.

Thanks for catching that, and yes my hope is that we will get comments back, fairly soon.

May 1, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #220 of 582
Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, my initial reaction was that the ON2 was more open, but after dedicated listening, I would go with what I said later; that the Neo was a slightly more open sound. I think my initial response was due to not listening to the ON2 in about three weeks, and the "re-acclimation period." One of those "wow" moments where I had forgotten how good they sound, so naturally they MUST sound better.

After careful listens, the Neo is a more open sounding headphone than the ON2. That does not diminish my feeling that the ON2 is a really fine piece, which in many ways I prefer to the Neo.

Thanks for catching that, and yes my hope is that we will get comments back, fairly soon.

Thanks for the clarification!

I've always wanted to try the On2 BTW...I've heard it's an on ear "v" done right.

Thanks again.

May 2, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #221 of 582
Video review of the Neo's is now live. What a wonderful week it was! Thank you @MezeTeam!:L3000:

May 3, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #222 of 582
@ngoshawk 20 Minutes?! Really?! I know I have small elf like fingers, but it took me literally 10 seconds. The original pads are a tad more tricky, and usually take me about a minute each, but that's mostly due to the fact I don't want to damage them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nice video btw!

May 3, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #223 of 582
@ngoshawk 20 Minutes?! Really?! I know I have small elf like fingers, but it took me literally 10 seconds. The original pads are a tad more tricky, and usually take me about a minute each, but that's mostly due to the fact I don't want to damage them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nice video btw!

Yep, since they were both borrowed units, I wanted to be careful. And yes, I found the Neo pads quite hard to put on, due to the narrow slit, which the fabric goes in. That's ok, though.

May 3, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #224 of 582
Ok folks, I have to admit, I had a blonde moment in my opinion on the larger pads... somewhat. So after I took (way too many) pictures of the 99 Neo's and Classics on the weekend, I decided to do a little sonic comparison between the two. Just to be fair, I put the larger pads back on the Classics, and the first thing I noticed was how much more comfortable my larger pads were than what came with the Neo. I had an epiphany; Are the Neo's pads not fully broken in? I had just assumed that dweaver had worn the crap outta them, but as I found out there was more breaking in to be had. The first thing I did was swap pads, and that is when I felt like an idiot. For the Neo, the bass became less intrusive upon the lower mids and more controlled, as well the overall level was also tamed a bit; The opposite for the Classics. The same went for comfort too (obviously). So I swapped the pads back and essentially wore the 99 Neo every waking moment I was home. And here I am today, and as I write this all I can think about is what I said in regards to when I first received the 99 Classics, and when I recently received the larger pads; Bass comes down and is more controlled and tight after the pads are fully broken in.

While I feel like an ass for "assuming" (you know how the saying goes), I not only re-enforced my theory that pad break-in is just as important as the driver (as I have said before, is part of why I always burn-in in real time listening rather than pink noise) but it actually made me re-asses how important pad break-in is. Fit and comfort is important, but that mushroom-like seal is king.

I apologize for saying that the 99 Neo (with the larger pads) sound simply good, no they sound really really really, really good! I do however still think that the smaller pads produce the superior sound. After I better gauged the Neos' with what I call "their final broken-in sound", I (for the last time) put on the smaller pads. I now know why I personally prefer them over the larger; Velvety smooth vocals! It had nothing to do with the less controlled bass somewhat creeping into the lower mids (as stated, now sounding much better), but how much better both male and female vocals sound. The bump the smaller pads give the 99 Neo at 2Khz, coupled with the more intimate sound, IMO, brings the 'wow' factor! That is actually what made me fall in love with the 99 Classics, the buttery smooth, intimate vocals! Going back to the first track I ever played with the 99 Classics, I threw on EPICA's Dreamscape. All I could think was " Yes! That's the sound! ", and then this happened, again:

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

This will be the very last thing I say about the pads (in the forums). @MezeTeam, if you are going with the larger pads, include the option to purchase the original smaller pads on your website. Personally, I'd include the smaller and keep the larger pads as the option. Actually, that's not correct. Personally, I'd include BOTH! Including a short and long cable is soooo cliché these days. Including both small AND large ear pads... just thinking of it caused this to happen:

mind-blown.gif

:beerchug:

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #225 of 582
Now that I have gotten all I needed to off my chest in regards to the ear pads, I guess I should actually share my impressions eh?

Much like the 99 Classics, I love the 99 Neo! Meze has another winner on their hands! First and foremost, I think the 99 Neo are absolutely gorgeous! When I first saw picts I really was unsure if I'd like them. Maybe I was partial to the wood, maybe I thought black and silver has been overdone, but I wasn't sold on them. While a picture says a thousand words, holding the 99 Neo in my hands is a whole different story; Once again it was love at first sight! Damn they are sexy! It's like the 99 Classics threw on a skimpy black dress! The textured surface is a nice touch, very reminiscent of classic AKG or beyerdynamic, and the silver accenting is just enough to add class but not too much to look to gaudy! Nothing feels cheap, and I am appreciating how light they are. Oh, and kudos to Meze for getting rid of the cloth loom after the Y-split! I never really had an issue with rubbing and microphonic noise, for the most part, but my favourite around the house throw on shirt has a collar, and is made of cord, so if I am chilly and want to listen to the 99's I'd either had to put up with the nasty rubbing feeling of the two textured materials rubbing up against each other, or be cold.

In terms of the sound, all I can say is very clean and clear! No sonic detail is lost in the transition from wood to plastic, and the Meze sound is preserved! And while I am not going to go into too much detail in regards to the sound (I want to save it for my review), I do want to say this; The 99 Neo are not so much a "cheaper" version of the 99 Classics, rather they are a companion, or complimentary headphone that just so happens to be less expensive due to the materials used, and that is awesome! While the 99 Neo do offer the 'Classic' sound, they are as different as they similar. A good analogy would be the 99 Classics sound like a band playing at " Smokey Joe's Roadside House of Blues " (wood), while the 99 Neo sounds like the same band, and equipment, playing at " The Union Hall "(modern industrious).

Anyway, I have a lot more listening to do, and 1 week simply isn't enough time. Ok, it is, I just want to keep them forever! :sweat_smile:

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back