Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2017 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 581

MezeTeam

Sponsor: Meze Audio
In with the new. Learn the tricks from the established authority and use them in your advantage. ​
 ​
It's not about showing off, it's about being true.
 ​
Meze 99 Neo - coming soon
 ​
 ​

​

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 581
  Meze has some of the more attractive audio models in the biz imo. Looking forward to purchasing the 99 Neo's. Hope the 99 Neo passive noise isolation is better than the Fostex/Denon closed/semi-closed headphones I've tried/owned. That matters greatly to me living in rather noisy environment. Active noise cancelling headphones harm sound quality in my opinion, although Inner Fidelity has just reviewed a new model with active noise cancelling and spatial effects that overcome that stereotype, but at $1500 and ostentatious looking as Beats with big "Q" on each cup and gold accents - not for me. Meze offers many choices from blingy look of gold accented Classic 99's to austere mostly black 99 Neo's. My opinion is based on my taste. I have heard that gold is a popular finish on audio gear in some circles/regions, so there's no right or wrong - just personal taste :)

99Neo has a very good passive isolation! 

Meze headphones have some of the best isolation I tested, better than Ultrasone DJ1P isolation by a good margin. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 581
I've lusted for the 99's for quite some time. I figure they would compliment the nighthawks rather nicely, and would be a great "closed" back option. But the looks of them meant that for me, they would be resigned to only being worn at home.

The Neo however looks like a headphone that I'd be happy to wear out of the house with. Very nice!

Resistance is becoming yet more futile lol!

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 581
  I've lusted for the 99's for quite some time. I figure they would compliment the nighthawks rather nicely, and would be a great "closed" back option. But the looks of them meant that for me, they would be resigned to only being worn at home.

The Neo however looks like a headphone that I'd be happy to wear out of the house with. Very nice!

Yes, Yes... 

They are really cool in person though! 

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 581
subbed. looks very interesting.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 581

The 99C and Nighthawk are less similar than you might expect. Meze is clearer, with more present treble. They both have excellent bass. With the Nighthawk's recessed treble, and a boost in mid-bass, it sounds thicker and much warmer.

Overall, I prefer the 99C. It's balance of warm and clear, and gorgeous highs, is simply mesmerizing.

Don't get me wrong, I did quite like the Nighthawks. Just like the Meze more. :cool:

Also, the 99C is wonderful to wear out and about. I don't know what you're worried about there.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 581
The 99C and Nighthawk are less similar than you might expect. Meze is clearer, with more present treble. They both have excellent bass. With the Nighthawk's recessed treble, and a boost in mid-bass, it sounds thicker and much warmer.

Overall, I prefer the 99C. It's balance of warm and clear, and gorgeous highs, is simply mesmerizing.

Don't get me wrong, I did quite like the Nighthawks. Just like the Meze more.
cool.gif

Also, the 99C is wonderful to wear out and about. I don't know what you're worried about there.

Thanks. My interpretation is that you think the 99's/99Neo's would be a wonderful compliment to the NH's! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 581

Don't get me wrong, I did quite like the Nighthawks. Just like the Meze more.
cool.gif

I actually strongly prefer 99C and 99N to Night Hawk or Night Owl. 

With a large margin 
biggrin.gif

Don't know why people are so enthused by Night birdies headphones 
redface.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 581

Yes, I feel the same way! The 99C were just too nice to take out to work, school, etc.

These look great, and aren't as flashy. I just wish they would re-design the 2.5mm inputs so we can use aftermarket cables without modding the phones.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #15 of 581

I actually strongly prefer 99C and 99N to Night Hawk or Night Owl. 

With a large margin 
biggrin.gif

Don't know why people are so enthused by Night birdies headphones 
redface.gif

Because guys like Rob Watts from Chord loves them
tongue.gif
.  I think they sound glorious, and they are incredibly comfortable. Most people don't give them a chance to burn in past 150 hours, but that makes a huge difference with the NH's (whether you believe in burn in or not lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back