Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2,761 of 7,677
I don't actually have the HD 600/6XX, but was just wanting to know if they compliment each other well, one more bassy, one more neutral, because i might get the two. Thanks for the reply though!

The HD650 and the 99C are more similar than different imo. Both have a warm, thick sound, a bit of roll of in both ends, a bit exaggerated midbass and lovely midrange presentation. They're certainly not identical sounding but more similar than many other headphones that I've heard. I think that it's a fair chance that a person who enjoys one of them will also enjoy the other if that makes sense.

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,762 of 7,677
The HD650 and the 99C are more similar than different imo. Both have a warm, thick sound, a bit of roll of in both ends, a bit exaggerated midbass and lovely midrange presentation. They're certainly not identical sounding but more similar than many other headphones that I've heard. I think that it's a fair chance that a person who enjoys one of them will also enjoy the other if that makes sense.
What about the HD600 in comparison to the 99 Classics/Neo?

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #2,764 of 7,677
Probably isn't a fair comparison... but anyone with Meze 99c and also considerable experience with HD800s / HD800?

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #2,765 of 7,677
Probably isn't a fair comparison... but anyone with Meze 99c and also considerable experience with HD800s / HD800?

They are very different in their signatures, HD800S is much lighter in it's bass, much brighter, the mids are more recessed and serious and the whole signature is not as punchy where 99C has much more bass, less treble, more forward mids, less harshness / sibilance, and are punchy / fun

They are also open / closed designs.

I like both, bot for very different reasons.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,766 of 7,677
Oooh, nice! A balanced cable for the 99C! Will this and the other new cables be for sale as accessories? My phone cable is starting to look a bit rough.
I am interested in finding some older smaller pads (originals). Any one have some they would like to pass on?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #2,767 of 7,677

The HD800 is far more relaxed, of course spacious as F, and quite dry. The 99C has great energy/dynamics, punchier bass, more sparkly highs (I don't find the HD800 to sparkle at all), and a far less dry sound. Closer to wet, but not on the LCD-2 level of wetness.

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,768 of 7,677
99C with the Brainwavz HM5 angled hybrid pads, improved soundstage, more air, more subbass, better comfort and isolation. Less nothing :wink:

20170724_230809.jpg
20170724_230719.jpg

Highly recommended!

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #2,769 of 7,677
The HD800 is far more relaxed, of course spacious as F, and quite dry. The 99C has great energy/dynamics, punchier bass, more sparkly highs (I don't find the HD800 to sparkle at all), and a far less dry sound. Closer to wet, but not on the LCD-2 level of wetness.

Woah

I add around 10 dB of treble on 99C but lower the treble of HD800S, it is strange that you say that , especially since I kinda know both HD800 and 99C well and enjoy both :smile_phones:

99C with the Brainwavz HM5 angled hybrid pads, improved soundstage, more air, more subbass, better comfort and isolation. Less nothing :wink:

Highly recommended!

Nobody bit a bullet with Sheepskin yet? They seem the only pads that I really want to get and I still haven't gotten around buying a pair because I fear buyer's remorse...

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,770 of 7,677
Woah

I add around 10 dB of treble on 99C but lower the treble of HD800S, it is strange that you say that , especially since I kinda know both HD800 and 99C well and enjoy both :smile_phones:

Nobody bit a bullet with Sheepskin yet? They seem the only pads that I really want to get and I still haven't gotten around buying a pair because I fear buyer's remorse...

I've got the Alpha Pads somewhere. Those should performance quite similar (at least they look very similar), I'll see if I can find them and test it out. Personally I prefer velour against my skin though :wink:

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,771 of 7,677

Highly recommended!

I think I will have to get a pair. Probably full-on leather, though.

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #2,772 of 7,677

Highly recommended!

Nice job Peter!

Was it difficult to take out the old ones and put the new ones on? Are the Brainwavz ones any bigger than original? They look bigger but not sure.

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,773 of 7,677

I'd expect sound to be quite similar so definitely worth a try. I think I also might have the angled pleather ones (I'm sure I've got the standard pleathers), if I do I can try those as well.

I can't say how much better they suite my preference now, especially with the added soundstage and air. It's like a veil being lifted, I should've tried this a long time ago....

Still a bit too much mid-bass for me though but much easier to live with now :wink:

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,774 of 7,677
I'd expect sound to be quite similar so definitely worth a try. I think I also might have the angled pleather ones (I'm sure I've got the standard pleathers), if I do I can try those as well.

I can't say how much better they suite my preference now, especially with the added soundstage and air. It's like a veil being lifted, I should've tried this a long time ago....

Still a bit too much mid-bass for me though but much easier to live with now :wink:

After getting NightOwl, I realized the comfort of the 99C was lacking some. These pads should put that straight. :D

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,775 of 7,677
I've got the Alpha Pads somewhere. Those should performance quite similar (at least they look very similar), I'll see if I can find them and test it out. Personally I prefer velour against my skin though :wink:
Dang you didnt get the blue!! They look really good Peter.

They have a sheepskin one that should suit your needs. Do let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back