Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,566 of 7,677
I've got those B6's and they're full size not on ears.....

With some simple modding they're actually very good, not quite as good as the 99C but not far of and very different sounding.

Thank you for the clarification. I had seen pictures of the B6 when I bought my B8 and mistakenly thought they were an on ear version. I have not listened to my BossHiFi/Kinden since getting the Meze (Neo). I will compare at some point. This week I am trying most of my headphones with my new toy...a tube amp. The Mezes do not need it but they do sound good with it. But then, they sound good with anything including straight out of my Opus dap or my xDuoX3.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #2,567 of 7,677
Maybe @PinkyPowers could help me with the balanced cables.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #2,568 of 7,677
Maybe @PinkyPowers could help me with the balanced cables.

Very standard for balanced.

2_5mm TRRS pinout.jpg
4-Pin_Lugs.jpg

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,569 of 7,677
Jun 28, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #2,570 of 7,677
By the way, the second image is for a 4-pin full-size XLR plug. In case you thought that might be what the inside of the 2.5mm looks like. lol. It isn't.

I didn't know how you wanted to achieve balanced, so I gave you the two most common choices.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #2,571 of 7,677
By the way, the second image is for a 4-pin full-size XLR plug. In case you thought that might be what the inside of the 2.5mm looks like. lol. It isn't.

I didn't know how you wanted to achieve balanced, so I gave you the two most common choices.

LOL thankfully i have had read a little before you answered, or else i would have thought the very same thing :D Thanks for the clarification. I want to achieve a balanced cable for the 99c without using the plastic mod and using connectors that are as thin as the meze connectors and 2.5mm trrs. The next step would be to get a balanced amp and get another cable which will terminate in 4 pin XLR.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2,573 of 7,677
Thank you for the clarification. I had seen pictures of the B6 when I bought my B8 and mistakenly thought they were an on ear version. I have not listened to my BossHiFi/Kinden since getting the Meze (Neo). I will compare at some point. This week I am trying most of my headphones with my new toy...a tube amp. The Mezes do not need it but they do sound good with it. But then, they sound good with anything including straight out of my Opus dap or my xDuoX3.

hello
can you kindly compare Meze 99 with BossHifi B6/B8 ?

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,574 of 7,677
Has anyone done the mod to allow these the accept standard-sized connectors. It looks pretty easy from the instructions from back when and is cheap enough. Just wanted to get someone's feedback on how well the modded connector piece will hold up and if that has any restrictions on the type of connector used.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #2,575 of 7,677
Has anyone done the mod to allow these the accept standard-sized connectors. It looks pretty easy from the instructions from back when and is cheap enough. Just wanted to get someone's feedback on how well the modded connector piece will hold up and if that has any restrictions on the type of connector used.

You can also just remove that piece altogether so you can fit standard jacks. No need to buy the mod.

20170527_174736.jpg

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,577 of 7,677
wow, didn't even think about that. Is there any wiggle room once you remove the sleeve? Is it a tight fit? Don't want the connector to move around...

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,578 of 7,677
wow, didn't even think about that. Is there any wiggle room once you remove the sleeve? Is it a tight fit? Don't want the connector to move around...

If you tighten the screws just right, the 3.5mm port won't move or wiggle at all, as you can see in my 2nd pic, even with the fatter jack, it fits just nicely without scratching the wood. :)

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,579 of 7,677

The mod is very easy to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back