Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 25, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #2,341 of 7,676
@Darren Cotter and @chungjun, we understand your experiences and have been taking note of them. We have stated many times to the CQ team of our collaborators that they should pay more attention to details and they have improved. We have even visited them personally on several occasions to talk to them personally. Sometimes, though, there are such imperfections that we cannot control. We are, however, listening to all of your thoughts and suggestions and this is why, here is a little something to tease you and everybody here with.

So, the question is, what's in the box?
Custom cable case 2.jpg

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
May 25, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,343 of 7,676
That's all part of a large production line, after having experience with the workflow of a normal company, it is easy to understand those things.

Either way, just to name my experiences so far, Meze, iFi, FiiO and Sennheiser answered questions, solved requests and quandaries within 1-3 days, all questions and problems were solved nicely and their service was lovely! I really appreciate all of them for their work and for their prompt and customer friendly answers!

I think that Meze is one of the companies you want to have a headphone from and I understand that they have been present at Munich so they might still be answering questions posed in that period of time, let's give them time to answer to everything! I'm sure that they will clear out everything!

My thoughts exactly. When sales volume increases, a sub-par product or two will find their way to customers. This is not a big issue, it simply happens. But the main question is this: what a manufacturer does when things go sour? Will he step-up and try to turn things around in order to avoid bad press and have its customer satisfied? Or will he simply avoid the subject and pretend that nothing happened? That’s the real question right there.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 25, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,344 of 7,676
@Darren Cotter and @chungjun, we understand your experiences and have been taking note of them. We have stated many times to the CQ team of our collaborators that they should pay more attention to details and they have improved. We have even visited them personally on several occasions to talk to them personally. Sometimes, though, there are such imperfections that we cannot control. We are, however, listening to all of your thoughts and suggestions and this is why, here is a little something to tease you and everybody here with.

So, the question is, what's in the box?

You're bringing in a new IEM?

Gotta hear how it sounds like!!

May 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,345 of 7,676
My thoughts exactly. When sales volume increases, a sub-par product or two will find their way to customers. This is not a big issue, it simply happens. But the main question is this: what a manufacturer does when things go sour? Will he step-up and try to turn things around in order to avoid bad press and have its customer satisfied? Or will he simply avoid the subject and pretend that nothing happened? That’s the real question right there.

Seems they already stepped in! Nice!

I have seen many issues getting solved by the companies I mentioned above, they are really nice to work with!!

May 25, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #2,346 of 7,676
Hey guys, a new member of Meze clan is here!

My small and honest review below:

"Almost perfect for the price"

Pros - Very musical, well built, stylish
Cons - Tends to get uncomfortable if worn for longer periods of time.
A lot has been said about these headphones so I will try not to focus on how awesome they are, revealing some aspects a potential customer should take into account before spending his or her hard earned money.

Construction: These babies are built to last. The wood is prone to scratching of course but other than they will not break so easily. And don't forget you can always replace almost every single part in case it breaks. 5 stars.

Design and fit: Best for casual or classic style. I would not recommend taking these headphones for a hike or in the gym. The band tends to stretch on every abrupt move and you'll get quite a lot of microphonics. Especially from the metal parts. Also the pads will get hot over time so you'll need to literally cool your head once in a while. The clamping force is very well managed and you can even wear glasses with the headphones (which is big plus in my case). Even so, a few minutes of rest every hour or two would be welcome for your ears and jaw muscles. 4 stars for comfort.

Sound:
  • Bass: coming from an open back DT-880 Vintage (where the bass is like a whisper), I was literally blown away by M99C. The bass is punchy, well defined and controlled. It feels too much at times, especially in quiet environments but that is normal for a closed back. 4.5 stars.
  • Mids: The main reason why I bought these and I was right. A very natural reproduction of piano and guitar sound. Vocals are a bit forward, "in front of the orchestra", you can hear every whisper, every drop of saliva in the mouth of the vocalist. That is truly something. 5 stars.
  • Highs: I'm a spoiled child here. I own a pair of Sony XBA-H3 and their armature drivers create a tremble that is hard to beat. Meze's dinamic driver is simply not in the same league. Highs are played accurately and only on very complicated compositions a slight loss of detail can be observed. Still, the highs are not sparkling like on XBA. If you are into jazz or trap, Meze may not be for you. 4 stars.
  • Soundstage: It is OK. No praise, no complains here. The average soundstage of a closed back. The separation is good, though and that is enough. 4.5 stars
  • Overall: a mature sound signature, very natural and pleasant, with an engulfing bass and forward mids. I don't think these headphones have a "warm " sound. That is an epitet reserved for Senns. That makes M99C your best bet for live music, rock and classical music. In fact, Meze are quite omnivore and I am almost sure that every genre could be enjoyed with these cans. 4.5 stars
Requirements to source:
They work well straight from my iPod touch but will scale significantly with a good DAC (I'm using them with a Pegasus II HP). 5 stars

May 25, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #2,347 of 7,676

A lot has been said about these headphones so I will try not to focus on how awesome they are, revealing some aspects a potential customer should take into account before spending his or her hard earned money.

Construction: These babies are built to last. The wood is prone to scratching of course but other than they will not break so easily. And don't forget you can always replace almost every single part in case it breaks. 5 stars.

Design and fit: Best for casual or classic style. I would not recommend taking these headphones for a hike or in the gym. The band tends to stretch on every abrupt move and you'll get quite a lot of microphonics. Especially from the metal parts. Also the pads will get hot over time so you'll need to literally cool your head once in a while. The clamping force is very well managed and you can even wear glasses with the headphones (which is big plus in my case). Even so, a few minutes of rest every hour or two would be welcome for your ears and jaw muscles. 4 stars for comfort.

Sound:
  • Bass: coming from an open back DT-880 Vintage (where the bass is like a whisper), I was literally blown away by M99C. The bass is punchy, well defined and controlled. It feels too much at times, especially in quiet environments but that is normal for a closed back. 4.5 stars.
  • Mids: The main reason why I bought these and I was right. A very natural reproduction of piano and guitar sound. Vocals are a bit forward, "in front of the orchestra", you can hear every whisper, every drop of saliva in the mouth of the vocalist. That is truly something. 5 stars.
  • Highs: I'm a spoiled child here. I own a pair of Sony XBA-H3 and their armature drivers create a tremble that is hard to beat. Meze's dinamic driver is simply not in the same league. Highs are played accurately and only on very complicated compositions a slight loss of detail can be observed. Still, the highs are not sparkling like on XBA. If you are into jazz or trap, Meze may not be for you. 4 stars.
  • Soundstage: It is OK. No praise, no complains here. The average soundstage of a closed back. The separation is good, though and that is enough. 4.5 stars
  • Overall: a mature sound signature, very natural and pleasant, with an engulfing bass and forward mids. I don't think these headphones have a "warm " sound. That is an epitet reserved for Senns. That makes M99C your best bet for live music, rock and classical music. In fact, Meze are quite omnivore and I am almost sure that every genre could be enjoyed with these cans. 4.5 stars
Requirements to source:
They work well straight from my iPod touch but will scale significantly with a good DAC (I'm using them with a Pegasus II HP). 5 stars

Cool Review!

One note about soundstage, it gets much larger with iFi iDSD BL and if you pump a few dBs into the last band of an EQ (The high end of the treble), I am actually getting one of the best soundstages and separations out of them, especially after tweaking!

I'm glad that you found a great headphone to enjoy, they are most clearly a great pair of headphones!

May 25, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #2,348 of 7,676
May 25, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,349 of 7,676

Strange i dont seem to have this problem. I suggest you play around with the pads. Great review.

May 25, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #2,350 of 7,676
May 25, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #2,351 of 7,676
I enjoyed everything but the third-person references of yourself :p

Oh sweet lord, you've aroused my insecurity...

worrybaby-e1443666679344.jpeg

May 26, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #2,353 of 7,676
May 26, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #2,354 of 7,676
Strange i dont seem to have this problem. I suggest you play around with the pads. Great review.
I am very sensitive to even small amounts of pressure on my head. That is why I prefer IEMs and over-the-ears. Being able to wear Meze for an hour without removing them - that is quite an achievement, believe me. I don't blame the pads - deeper or softer pads would change the sound signature and not for the best. A suggestion for Meze Team for a future product - comfort first, sound later. No point in having great sounding headphones if you can'enjoy them.

May 26, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #2,355 of 7,676
I am very sensitive to even small amounts of pressure on my head. That is why I prefer IEMs and over-the-ears. Being able to wear Meze for an hour without removing them - that is quite an achievement, believe me. I don't blame the pads - deeper or softer pads would change the sound signature and not for the best. A suggestion for Meze Team for a future product - comfort first, sound later. No point in having great sounding headphones if you can'enjoy them.

I believe it could be the elastic headband too which kind of loosens up a little bit which i hope should make it better for you. I agree with you on the comfort part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back