Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 21, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #2,297 of 7,677
Can anyone compare there to the M50x?

It wouldn't be extremely fair, 99 Classics are considerably better in every single department, there is very little space where M50x is even worth mentioning.

Comfort wise, 99C is considerably more comfortable for long term usage, the bass has better impact and is more coherent on 99C, it also goes deeper, the top end is better extended, details are better perceived, instrument separation and soundstage is considerably better on 99 C, mid range is far more natural on 99C and the general musicality is also better.

The one thing that really takes the difference to an extreme is the soundstage, to my ears m50x always sounded congested, almost like the sound is coming thorough a key hole, while 99C soun

May 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,298 of 7,677
just sitting in some beautiful weather with some good sights, Boomsauce, and awesome tunes....
IMG_0978.jpeg

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,299 of 7,677
It wouldn't be extremely fair, 99 Classics are considerably better in every single department, there is very little space where M50x is even worth mentioning.

Comfort wise, 99C is considerably more comfortable for long term usage, the bass has better impact and is more coherent on 99C, it also goes deeper, the top end is better extended, details are better perceived, instrument separation and soundstage is considerably better on 99 C, mid range is far more natural on 99C and the general musicality is also better.

The one thing that really takes the difference to an extreme is the soundstage, to my ears m50x always sounded congested, almost like the sound is coming thorough a key hole, while 99C soun
Thanks! I'm looking to get a pair of closed cans to pair with me He560s. I've only had M50x and I did not like them at all. What do these compare too? Fostex TH-X00?

May 21, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,300 of 7,677
Thanks! I'm looking to get a pair of closed cans to pair with me He560s. I've only had M50x and I did not like them at all. What do these compare too? Fostex TH-X00?

There isn't a clear headphone that 99 Classics really compares to, they have a unique signature which is euphoric and fun. I think that they will come good to complement HE-560 with a similarly open sound, although the top end will probably be a bit smoother and the bass will be a bit bigger in direct comparison.

99C is still one of the best closed-back headphones I tried to date and I have been rabidly trying out closed back headphones as I really needed a closed back headphone! Soon I might start looking into open back headphones as well though!

May 21, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #2,302 of 7,677
There isn't a clear headphone that 99 Classics really compares to, they have a unique signature which is euphoric and fun. I think that they will come good to complement HE-560 with a similarly open sound, although the top end will probably be a bit smoother and the bass will be a bit bigger in direct comparison.

99C is still one of the best closed-back headphones I tried to date and I have been rabidly trying out closed back headphones as I really needed a closed back headphone! Soon I might start looking into open back headphones as well though!

Do they travel well? Hm I would need to invest in a portable amp

May 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #2,303 of 7,677
Do they travel well? Hm I would need to invest in a portable amp

Been travelling using 99C since the first day I got them! This is one of the first tests I put something through actually. To be honest, they sound great out of a Mi Max smartphone which is average in its sound quality, but they sound AMAZING out of something better like an iFi iDSD BL.

May 21, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2,304 of 7,677
Been travelling using 99C since the first day I got them! This is one of the first tests I put something through actually. To be honest, they sound great out of a Mi Max smartphone which is average in its sound quality, but they sound AMAZING out of something better like an iFi iDSD BL.
tempted to grab a pair

May 22, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #2,305 of 7,677
tempted to grab a pair

They really are great for portable use. I recommend a DAC or DAP, though. Not because they need it for driveability, but they deserve the better sound quality. The 99 Classics really open up and become glorious from a good source.

May 22, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #2,306 of 7,677
They really are great for portable use. I recommend a DAC or DAP, though. Not because they need it for driveability, but they deserve the better sound quality. The 99 Classics really open up and become glorious from a good source.

I second this! It is shocking to hear how awesome they become from iFi iDSD BL!

May 22, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #2,307 of 7,677
Hi

I received my Meze 99 Classics yesterday and I noticed a cosmetic defect. The varnish is intact and can only presume was applied over the top of whatever caused this mark.

They came from a very reputable UK online retailer, whom I have dealt with many times and were factory sealed. So the problem is with Meze's quality control and that worries me.

My question is, should I sent them back for a refund, or live with it?

Regards

Darren

I've got the OK from the supplier, who have seen the picture also, to send this back. I declined a swap and asked for a refund. It would always worry me that Meze's quality control department thought this was an acceptable condition to send to a customer and also any other possible issues that might arise.

May 22, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #2,308 of 7,677
I've got the OK from the supplier, who have seen the picture also, to send this back. I declined a swap and asked for a refund. It would always worry me that Meze's quality control department thought this was an acceptable condition to send to a customer and also any other possible issues that might arise.

I wouldn't mind it so much and get a replacement since working with wood means that there will be some inconsistencies due to the texture of natural wood. I actually appreciate Meze including real wood and the texture it creates on the outside! Wood is wood, you can never get a perfect piece of wood, and I honestly don't think that QC can do anything about a piece of wood that came from a tree and had a little bit chipped off.

The sound is what matters and Meze 99 Classics sound awesome!

BTW, if you don't want to have wood, you can always go fot Meze 99 Neo, the next best thing when it comes to headphones!

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2017/04/meze-99-neo-edgy-headphone-with-vivid.html

May 22, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #2,309 of 7,677
Hi

Thanks for your answer, but as can be seen in the above picture, the cup has received some sort of knock and then been varnished. It's not just the natural organic nature of the wood. Meze could have chosen not to send out that particular cup and binned it.

All it has done is inconvenience me, HiFiHeadphones.co.uk, who will also have to refund me the postage for both ways and loose a potential future customer. I noticed the defect straight away, so why not the manufacturer?

Regards

Darren

May 22, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,310 of 7,677
I've sent the following email to Meze and will base my decision on their answer.

Hi

I purchased online a set of your 99 Classics from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk. The item was new and still had its cellophane wrapping around the box.

Trouble is, they have a cosmetic fault, as can be seen in the attached jpg.

My question is, am I being too fussy wanting to send them back for a refund?

Regards

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back