LZ Big Dipper impressions and discussions thread
Jul 4, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #61 of 173
Thought you guys might like to see a slightly different graph - I think this might be slightly more representative of the sonic signature. It gels with what I'm hearing anyway.

Usual disclaimer:
The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else's, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response - especially if you've followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I always use crystal foam tips (so medium bore opening) - and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements - and output is under 1 ohm.

First lets look at the Dipper with all switches in the off position:

A little more V shaped than reference - but pretty darn good.

OK - what about turning just the treble on

And just the mids on

Now just the bass on

Some pretty nice configurations - and no filters to muck around with (although the little switches are a bit tricky)

So what if we turn them all on?

And how is the quality of the channel matching?

(this was with all the switches on)

I'll have more for you - including photos - as soon as start the review process in about a week. Have a couple I need to finish first.

Oh - and they sound pretty darn good.

Quite interesting stuff here, thanks!

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jul 4, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #63 of 173
Thought you guys might like to see a slightly different graph - I think this might be slightly more representative of the sonic signature. It gels with what I'm hearing anyway.

Usual disclaimer:
The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else's, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response - especially if you've followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I always use crystal foam tips (so medium bore opening) - and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements - and output is under 1 ohm.

First lets look at the Dipper with all switches in the off position:

A little more V shaped than reference - but pretty darn good.

OK - what about turning just the treble on

And just the mids on

Now just the bass on

Some pretty nice configurations - and no filters to muck around with (although the little switches are a bit tricky)

So what if we turn them all on?

And how is the quality of the channel matching?

(this was with all the switches on)

I'll have more for you - including photos - as soon as start the review process in about a week. Have a couple I need to finish first.

Oh - and they sound pretty darn good.
Thanks Brooko for this great effort and it is nice update /information for LZ lovers and I think the Big Dipper with only mids swetich is more suitable for me,
anyhow eagerly waiting for your full review .

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #65 of 173
@Brooko - very interesting stuff. I know you will cover this in your review, but would love to know your initial impression on where the Big Dipper sits in terms of mid-fi / low TOTL performance. Is it punching in the same weight class as something like the Fidue Sirius? Loved the A4, so would be very interested to know where the LZ flagship is aiming for performance wise?

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #66 of 173
It would definitely be up there with the Sirius (IMO anyway). My problem is that earlier this week I've been spending most of my time with the RE-2000, and it is the best I've heard. Different price bracket admittedly. But switching for a short listen to the Dipper is not really conclusive to giving a really good impression. Need to finish up with LZA4, then write the RE-2000 and RE-800. then I can concentrate on the Dipper. Hoping to free some time for the others (which are in various stages of completion) this week - then get to the Dipper within next 10 days or so.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #67 of 173
It would definitely be up there with the Sirius (IMO anyway). My problem is that earlier this week I've been spending most of my time with the RE-2000, and it is the best I've heard. Different price bracket admittedly. But switching for a short listen to the Dipper is not really conclusive to giving a really good impression. Need to finish up with LZA4, then write the RE-2000 and RE-800. then I can concentrate on the Dipper. Hoping to free some time for the others (which are in various stages of completion) this week - then get to the Dipper within next 10 days or so.

I very much look forward to your impressions on the 800.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #72 of 173

Sounds like an embarrassment of riches in the Brooko review queue at the moment! :wink: I've heard the RE-2000 is something a little special from another Head-fi'er, so looking forward to hearing it at Canjam London with any luck.

The Dipper sounds like a serious piece of kit if it is swimming in the same waters as the Sirius - that's good to hear. Will look forward to your analysis of both mentioned IEMs in due course - I've been wrestling with my own review of the A4 for months now (I always struggle with the format of a multi filter write up, and the A4 deserves to be done proper justice) - the RE2000 is a little out of my price bracket sadly, but sounds like I might need to put the Dipper on my watch list if its as good as you suggest it might be.

Have fun listening to your new toys - sure they'll help you celebrate or commiserate the result from Eden Park at the weekend, whichever way it goes... :wink:

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #74 of 173
That 1khz dip turns me off so much

I wouldn't interpret too much into it. It's more of a showcase on how the switches alter the tonality. Brooko will surely provide more references later down the stretch.
Actually, with turned on mid switch (bass and treble off), the signature isn't super far off from Harman-Target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back