Looking to pick out a cheap setup
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Tomahto

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a basic 2.0 speaker setup for $250 or less, I'd rather not get up that high but if there was significant benefit to it I would. I plan on getting a subwoofer later, so that limit will just be for a pair of speakers + amp. I'm planning on using this for probably 75% music and 25% movies. It'd be for a room setup, although it could possibly be used on a computer in the future. If it makes any difference it should be good at handling electronic, often bass heavy genres like hip-hop, glitch hop, or IDM as well as more traditional ones.

The two main speakers I'm trying to decide between now are the Micca MB42X and the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. Advantages from what I've read about the Micca's: Smaller (so if/when I upgrade these will be easier to use with my computer), cheaper, aesthetics (minor, but not insignificant IMO). Advantages of the Pioneer's from what I've read: Better bass when used as without a subwoofer, better quality (what I need to know is if it's worth the uptick in price)

I've been looking at a couple amps, I'm now stuck between the SMSL SA-50, SMSL SA-60, and the Dayton Audio DTA-120. I'm a bit lost when it comes to identifying advantages/disadvantages here, so I'd definitely appreciate some help when it comes to these. I do like the headphone out on the DTA-120, but not sure if that's worth the uptick in price.

And then for the subwoofer in the (near?) future, I'm thinking either the Dayton Audio SUB-1000 or SUB-1200. That's going to be after a bit of figuring out what I really need/want out of the system, but if anyone has any other suggestions for subs I'd love to hear them.

I'm currently leaning towards the Micca MB42X + SMSL SA-50 since it's cheap and then when/if I upgrade these I can move those two very easily to a computer setup.

If anyone has any feedback on any of this that'd be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back