Looking for fast, high bass impact headphone with good clarity for electronica
Nov 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

technica18

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if you guys can help me out.  Currently I have a HD600 + Lyr + Bifrost combo which I love, but I am looking for a set of headphones with these criteria for electronica/vocal trance/synthpop:

- Fast and controlled bass response
- Deep and high impact bass but not muddy
- Smooth and non fatiguing highs
- Minimal bass bleed into mids/highs
- I'd want to be able to use it with the Lyr if possilbe
- Under $300

I tried the HD650 but didn't like them since it lacked speed and impact.  Thanks.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 34
Actually I have heard the DT880 and didn't like them since they were too bright and the DT990 is supposed to be even brighter.

The Denon D2000 would satisfy your needs, unfortunately they've been discontinued. There are still a few vendors with left over stocks however, you can search around and I'm sure something will come up.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 34
Maybe

V-Moda M100
M-Audio Q40

These fit the bill for the most parts. Denon D2000 are probably slightly too slow and slightly on the bright side and DT990 is too bright. I'm loving the Q40 for my electronica (check out my Hardstyle promote youtube channel) but I will probably give M100 a try later as well as it's described as a perfect headphone for electronica in Tyll's opinion.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. What do you guys think of the Ultrasone hfi-580?

Yea it's also a very good contender, I nearly listed it as well but these aspects may not full fit your demands;

- Slightly aggressive upper-mid/lower-highs range
- Not the deepest extending bass (it's very punchy and a bit more midbass focused than subbass focused but it do reach pretty low but yea I'd still put it somewhat on the midbassy side)

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 34
Well if u get interested in a portable the dt1350 matches your description perfectly. They don't have that kind of beyer DT brightness. Nice and fast, controlled sounding bass. Smooth highs.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:
Well if u get interested in a portable the dt1350 matches your description perfectly. They don't have that kind of beyer DT brightness. Nice and fast, controlled sounding bass. Smooth highs.

Only they don't offer much bass impact though.

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
I was wondering if you guys can help me out.  Currently I have a HD600 + Lyr + Bifrost combo which I love, but I am looking for a set of headphones with these criteria for electronica/vocal trance/synthpop:

- Fast and controlled bass response
- Deep and high impact bass but not muddy
- Smooth and non fatiguing highs
- Minimal bass bleed into mids/highs
- I'd want to be able to use it with the Lyr if possilbe
- Under $300

I tried the HD650 but didn't like them since it lacked speed and impact.  Thanks.

Easy:

Mr Speakers Mad Dog (Modded T50RP), Orthos are fast.

Very best,

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 34
HE-400s. Doesn't have slamming bass but definitely is one of the top headphones for clarity, speed, detail. Has enough oomph at the bottom end, (I was a basshead before I tried these). And people love the HE-400 + Lyr combo.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 34
I currently have the HE-400 on my head. It is simply the best time I've ever had listening to dub / club mixes. The bass is somewhat elevated, and the extension and definition and clarity of it is really awesome! Tight, fast, good impact, and super-controlled. I hear it pairs great with Lyr as well. However, it has quite the treble peak. I like Grados, so you know I enjoy bright treble; but the treble peak of the HE-400 is a bit too much, perhaps because it is so contrasted against the darkness of the mids and the lows.

That said, it's $400. You might be able to eek one out of the classifieds for close to your price range, but make sure to identify which revision it is from the seller. Rev3 is no good, you want rev2 or the post-rev3 version.

Also, I've not heard the Mr Dogs Mad Speakers, but if its bass is anything like the bass of the HE-400, then I think you can't go wrong! I think their highs are supposedly smoother than the HE-400, which really should be easy to accomplish. Might be a really good choice.

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
I currently have the HE-400 on my head. It is simply the best time I've ever had listening to dub / club mixes. The bass is somewhat elevated, and the extension and definition and clarity of it is really awesome! Tight, fast, good impact, and super-controlled. I hear it pairs great with Lyr as well. However, it has quite the treble peak. I like Grados, so you know I enjoy bright treble; but the treble peak of the HE-400 is a bit too much, perhaps because it is so contrasted against the darkness of the mids and the lows.

That said, it's $400. You might be able to eek one out of the classifieds for close to your price range, but make sure to identify which revision it is from the seller. Rev3 is no good, you want rev2 or the post-rev3 version.

Also, I've not heard the Mr Dogs Mad Speakers, but if its bass is anything like the bass of the HE-400, then I think you can't go wrong! I think their highs are supposedly smoother than the HE-400, which really should be easy to accomplish. Might be a really good choice.

Do you need an amp to drive the HE-400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back