Looking for advice on audio setup for streaming/gaming
May 23, 2017 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Veirz

New Head-Fier
Ok so i picked out some gear i want/need to get for my audio setup
  • Headphones: Sennheiser HD599 Open Back Headphones /HD558 / HD 598 329$

• Studio Mic: Rode NT1-A 1in Cardioid Condenser 249$

• Rode PSA1 Professional Studio Boom Arm 99$

• Mixer: Yamaha MG10XU 10 Input Stereo Mixer (with Compression, Effects, and USB) w/ Cables 259$
Im currently using a astro a40 with mixamp and want to stear away from this as i feel i may have been suckered into the whole surround sound gaming thing. Not saying that i dont enjoy this headset with mixamp, bit i feel as i could possible do better. I figure if i feel like i do really need the emulated sound then i can always plug a decent headphone into it, however i want to try gaming on a decent set of cans with no emulation.

I do own a ad700x, but was intially disapointed on my first try. how ever recently i plugged it into the mixamp and liked it alot, the sound clarity was very appeasing. However i haven't really given them a good run in yet due to the fact that i am constantly using a mic.

So, i was looking at getting maybe a new set of cans aswell as keeping the ad700x for gaming. something like the HD598. Now i know people look for a certain sound signature when buying headphones, but i don't know what i'd be looking for. Best sort of description i can give is i like a clear sounding headset, i like my treble with a punchy bass, i very much dislike echos and reverb in bass. Also this picture may help

index.php

My main concerns atm are:

• Do i/should i get a DAC/Audio interface for the headphones or Mic. The Yamaha mixer has 48V phantom power for the mic aswell and effects, and if i remember reader correctly has preamps for the outputs. [If so would i heard the schiit preamp and soundcard are good?]

• My main reason for getting the mixer is for volume control on both the mic, headphones, effects on the mic aswell as the 48V phantom power.

• My voice is not as masculine as i would like it to be for my age and am looking to use the mixer to help improve this.

• At a later date i would like to transition to multiple PC's for steaming and maybe a music bot
All input and thought is greatly appreciated :)

May 23, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 25
Will you be using your new headphones mostly for gaming or music? What computer are you running?

My System
CPU: Intel I7-4790 :
MOBO: Asus Z-97
RAM: 16GB Kingston
GFX: Gigabyte GTX 970
SSD: Samsung 240G
HDD: Seagate 2TB
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
Currently only using the sound card for the dolby digital

Im not sure yet, im looking for advice on headphones aswell. If i like them for gaming i might just use the hd598 for everything, however i did use the ad700x last night and they where very good for the fps games i was playing.

May 23, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 25
Gotcha. Well, I really like the HD599 and HD598 very well for both gaming and music in their general price range. The AD700X is also good, but I prefer the Senns overall for music and gaming. I think they have better bass and more detail. Soundstages are about equivalent, IMO. Just my opinions.

May 23, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 25
Also check out Hifiman 400s or 400i. Your Valhalla 2 should be able to run the 400i without a problem. The 400s are easier to drive and don't really require an amp. I personally own and prefer the 400s over 598 and AD700x.

May 24, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 25
Also check out Hifiman 400s or 400i. Your Valhalla 2 should be able to run the 400i without a problem. The 400s are easier to drive and don't really require an amp. I personally own and prefer the 400s over 598 and AD700x.
Do you reckon it would be worth the 80$ getting the hifimans? Are they decent for gaming? Im thinking im probs gona get schiit dac and amp

May 24, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 25
Do you reckon it would be worth the 80$ getting the hifimans? Are they decent for gaming? Im thinking im probs gona get schiit dac and amp

Before I upgraded to my LCD-2 I used my Hifiman 400s for gaming, movies and music all the time. They were my go to headphone for everything. Every now and then I still take them off the headphone rack and plug them in. Other than my FA-002, they are probably my most comfortable pair of over ear cans. If you are looking for more bass than your AD700x I think you might be disappointed with the HD598. The 400s do have much better bass response. Also since one of your main concerns is gaming, the 400s with their planar magnetic drivers has a fast and accurate response time. Stock it has a decent sound stage with great pin point imagery. If you get angled HM5 pads you can improve the sound stage. If you do plan to get the Schiit Modi and Magni stack you may want to check out the 400i. In my opinion they are worth the extra 80 but if you want to save some money the HD598 is still an excellent choice.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 25
Before I upgraded to my LCD-2 I used my Hifiman 400s for gaming, movies and music all the time. They were my go to headphone for everything. Every now and then I still take them off the headphone rack and plug them in. Other than my FA-002, they are probably my most comfortable pair of over ear cans. If you are looking for more bass than your AD700x I think you might be disappointed with the HD598. The 400s do have much better bass response. Also since one of your main concerns is gaming, the 400s with their planar magnetic drivers has a fast and accurate response time. Stock it has a decent sound stage with great pin point imagery. If you get angled HM5 pads you can improve the sound stage. If you do plan to get the Schiit Modi and Magni stack you may want to check out the 400i. In my opinion they are worth the extra 80 but if you want to save some money the HD598 is still an excellent choice.
Thanks mate, thats really good info, i might look into those 400s, is the dac/amp going to matter much?

May 24, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 25
Thanks mate, thats really good info, i might look into those 400s, is the dac/amp going to matter much?

The 400s are very easy to drive. You can play them off your phone and get decent sound quality. But if you want to unlock their full potential I highly recommend a good DAC and Amp.

May 24, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 25
The 400s are very easy to drive. You can play them off your phone and get decent sound quality. But if you want to unlock their full potential I highly recommend a good DAC and Amp.
I defiantly get a dac/amp, at worst ill resell it if i dont use it. Im looking at the schiit magi and modi atm, would there be any reason to get something difference or slightly more expensive. I dont mind spending more money if its warrented, but not if its just wank value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back