Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Apr 30, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #11,013 of 13,430
I found the Russian 6N6P (without the IR) to be a good match with the Mullard 8100. Slightly warmer than the IR version. Also recommend the Mullard 8161 as driver tube with the 6N6P although you would have to change the jumper to the EF92 setting but well worth the effort. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you. How important is it to have 6N6P power tubes to be matched? Is same date code enough, or is it essential to have all the characteristics to be matched within say 1% of each other?

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #11,014 of 13,430
Thank you. How important is it to have 6N6P power tubes to be matched? Is same date code enough, or is it essential to have all the characteristics to be matched within say 1% of each other?

Strict matching is not necessary. Two tubes manufactured at about the same time, in the same factory, with the same construction is close enough.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #11,015 of 13,430
Thank you! Makes things much easier. Many selling with same date code, same factory, etc. I will try some Russian 6N6P gold grids. What about the Siemens E288CC? Are they the best in the world? Worth the price? Or no better than the standard 6N6P?

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #11,016 of 13,430
There are conflicting views on this. I usually try to use power tubes that are matched to within 5%. I don't think it matters for the driver tubes although I'm sure some people will disagree.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #11,017 of 13,430
I never used matched pairs for power or driver tubes and never noticed anything different that would make me want to pay more for a match pair and i use 3 tube amps .The most matching i do is buy same brand same year same internal structure with the money you save there you can get more tubes :)

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #11,018 of 13,430
While I have no experience with the E288CC, I doubt that it would be as good as the 6N6P. The major, and to my mind, critical difference is that the 6N6P and similar tubes require about 750ma to 900ma of heater current. The E288CC requires only 450ma. In general, higher heater current yields higher plate output current.

Given that the 6SN7, with 600ma of heater current, is not up to the task of driving low-Z, inefficient headphones, I would supect that the E288CC would very likely be less "powerful" than a 6SN7.

Apart from the 6N6P family, the only other double triode with a heater current of around 900ma I am aware of is the 5687. However, the 5687 has a different pinout than the 6N6P and thus requires an adapter to reroute the pins.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #11,020 of 13,430
Thank you all for the responses. Has anyone tried to modify a Little Dot to a "choke" power supply? I tried searching but count not find any reference. Some say it will eliminate any phase distortion.
There is not a lot of room inside the LD case, you would have to mount your choke and capacitors externally.

May 1, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #11,021 of 13,430
Okay, so I got the Voshkods that I ordered, and I'm trying out tube rolling for the first time. No burn in time yet; just fresh into the socket. First test using Bela Fleck - Tales from the Acoustic Planet. My headphones are Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premiums.

First thing I noticed was that I actually noticed the bass. The stock tubes combined with my headphones always kept the bass a bit more subdued than this. The difference isn't massive, but the upright bass has a bit of an extra pop to it that wasn't there before. So mark that down a big plus.

Actually, that might not just be on the bass. It may be my imagination(I wish I could do a side by side listen), but it kind of feels like all of the plucked instruments are standing out more than before. The same is probably true of the percussion, but this album doesn't put a lot of focus on the drums(which are actually coming from a synthesizer). I'll have to try it with some rock or more traditional jazz to be sure.

The other thing I'm noticing is that the I find myself paying attention more to the background instruments in general. Of course, I can't be sure that what I'm hearing is really something I couldn't hear as well before, or if I'm just paying more attention now. I probably need some more casual listening time to get a full impression of the new tubes.

Overall, I'm pleased with the change, and it will be interesting seeing how these sound as they've settled in.

May 5, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #11,022 of 13,430
My c3g tubes arrived. Impressive packaging, seem new, but I am not sure if they are identical. On one of them the font seems somehow greyed and on the other white. Well, hopefully these will work fine when the adapters arrive.

C3G_01.jpg

C3G_02.jpg

C3G_03.jpg

C3G_04.jpg

May 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #11,024 of 13,430
My c3g tubes arrived. Impressive packaging, seem new, but I am not sure if they are identical. On one of them the font seems somehow greyed and on the other white. Well, hopefully these will work fine when the adapters arrive.

C3G_01.jpg

C3G_02.jpg

C3G_03.jpg

C3G_04.jpg
Nice pics. You've got some great sound coming your way!.

May 5, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #11,025 of 13,430
Hi Kamzak88,

Which LD do you have, have you not got the reference guide?. If you have the LD MK3 there will be a hole on the underside with two sets of red gain switches, one for right and left channels, here is the LD MK3 ref guide explaining what to do,go to page 8, hope this helps.http://195.84.101.101/~goranl/projects/nad_stereo/little_dot/LittleDot_MKII_Guide.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back