Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Apr 28, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #2,416 of 2,724
Wow this site is nicely improved...

Anyways, don't spend your money on expensive e80cc driver tubes!
You will get great sound from the 5751 tube and the e180cc tube..(for the driver tubes).

The e80cc only give a bit more soundstage.
When your ready, graduate to the MK6 driver tubes with adapters,
OR my fav 6c8g tube with adapter.
:)
The weird advantage of the MK8, it that the best tubes for it are much cheaper tubes than for mk6(!)
:)

Thanks for the info I will search for a 5751 and e180cc tubes.

Also is it normal that the driver tubes does not glow that much?(using the stock tubes that comes with the unit), Also I have observed that the left driver tube does not glow, the right one has a faint glow, does it have something to do because I am only using the single ended input and is using only one driver tube?

Also about the gain, does it default to low? I am guessing it is since I need to crank the volume up to 70 even 80 with the HD800S, do you recommend setting it to high? Which leads me to my next question on setting the gain, I know the switches are underneath but do i need to unscrew things?

Sorry for the newb questions but can you please advise.

On another note the amp sounds fantastic even on stock form, now im very excited to try some tubes with it. TIA

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #2,417 of 2,724
Single ended or balanced input us fine.
For output, Balanced headphone output is optimal.
Tube glow vary with tube.
Even same tubes will glow differently.
For the MK8, it recommended to set gain on high.
You will have to open the bottom.

Word of caution, the screws are very cheap and known to strip if you do not have exactly right size Phillips head,
And also press down firmly to twist strong enough...
Goodluck!

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,418 of 2,724
Do the meters have to show the same values? When running my HD800S with a balanced XLR cable, they show the same current for left and right (around 60). I purchased an XLR to 1/4-cable to allow me to connect a different set of headphones, Denon AH-D7200. The left meter shows 30, the right shows 80, yet the sound seems very balance (equal sound left and right). Is that normal? or is it a concern?

May 7, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #2,419 of 2,724
Sounds like a cable issue causing the drop.
Maybe the right and left grounds are swapped.

Just my guess so check your cable with meter.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,420 of 2,724
Hello,

Any recommandation for a middle priced 6SL7 tubes to replace the stock 6H8C ?
I'm loooking (as usual i imagine) deep basses with impact, lush, and soft/mellow high-mids en trebble.

For now, no modification of the stock 6080 tubes.

And well, I'have read the 3/4 first pages without finding a compatibilty list abour mk6+

Thank you !

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #2,421 of 2,724
Silvania is a safe overall good choice.

May 15, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #2,423 of 2,724
Hello,

Is there some who have tested thoses tubes please ? I'd like to have a "sound opinion" ?
6SL7GT RCA with smoked glass, black base, tall black plate
6SL7GT Tun Sol black glass on the 3/4 of the glass, small clear band at the top, blackbase

Or better to stay with Sylvania 6SL7WGT brawn base, short rounded black plates, top getter ?

Thank you in advance !

May 19, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #2,425 of 2,724
Hello,

What your experience about rolling the power tubes ?
Really get an improvement ? because 7236 and 5998A are expensive tubes :wink:

And well is there any changement to replace stock 6080 by RCA 6AS7G ?

Regards,

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,426 of 2,724
Do the meters have to show the same values? When running my HD800S with a balanced XLR cable, they show the same current for left and right (around 60). I purchased an XLR to 1/4-cable to allow me to connect a different set of headphones, Denon AH-D7200. The left meter shows 30, the right shows 80, yet the sound seems very balance (equal sound left and right). Is that normal? or is it a concern?
Yes that would be a concern. You can use a balanced headphone into a single ended connection with an adapter instead of changing the headphone cable. However you can not use a single ended headphone plugged into a balanced output with an adapter. That could harm some balanced amps. The Little Dot MK VI does have a singled ended output that you can use normally on the back of the amp.

May 22, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #2,429 of 2,724
I have a question re: using LD as a pre amp, as you could see in the manual there is this sort of dicalimer:

"The Little Dot MK VIII SE is not to be used with a DC or direct coupled power amplifier. It is designed
to be used with “pure” power amplifiers and not integrated amplifiers as otherwise the total gain will
too high.

The pre-amplification signal in the Little Dot MK VIII SE includes both the driver and power tubes for better
compatibility with power amplifiers with low input impedance (for example, transistor-based power amps)."

Now how could one tell if an amp is dc coupled or not? I am interested in purchasing a pair of these power amp

https://www.reddragonaudio.com/products/m500-mkii

I have already sent an inquiry and have received a reply stating there would be no problem with the pairing, but they did not confirm if the power amp is dc coupled or not.

also in the m500-mkii is is stated:

"Red Dragon Audio designed the M500MkII with customer feedback at the forefront of the process. Our new design incorporates the most requested features from clients including our latest input section. This custom Input Buffer Section offers flexible input options, remote control functionality and a high input impedance. Increased Input Impedance allows our amps to be paired with all preamplifiers - even the most esoteric tube preamps."

Is it really safe?
Can anyone with the technical know how please advise. TIA

May 22, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,430 of 2,724
Allotta questions lol.
Use "old stock" tubes whenever possible.
The older, the better.
Most else is preference.
GE is good
RCA would be catagorized as very good.
Silvania better
Kenrad better still
Tung-sol more better
National union better
European tubes also more better..

All is subjective to personal experiences, and need be taken into account as variable,
due to companies rebranding and changing quality at various time periods.

Also about the gain, does it default to low?
Yes it is set to low by default and so you have to open and flip those tiny switches.

Yes that would be a concern. You can use a balanced headphone into a single ended connection with an adapter instead of changing the headphone cable. However you can not use a single ended headphone plugged into a balanced output with an adapter. That could harm some balanced amps. The Little Dot MK VI does have a singled ended output that you can use normally on the back of the amp.
OMG I totally overlooked that he using a dam conversion cable!
Who the hell makes that crap?
As it is dangerous for any amp depending how it is wired.

So the meter which has the extreme dip, corresponds to the negative which both channels are tied to and so sharing...
Or worse yet, both negative signals could be both wired together and to ground.
Ugg..
But most probably not or you would have some burnt resistors lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back