Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Mar 13, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #2,401 of 2,724

Sigh...
My quad matched set of NOS Tung Sol 5998 tubes package from WooAudio arrived a few minutes ago.
With customs/import-duties, and the $950USD, I paid about $1000USD.

As I was unboxing these tubes, I noticed:
  1. There was a slight rattle sound when I moved the tubes... a gentle single shake, and the sound was not slight, but clear and apparent
  2. On closer inspection, some of the tubes have small pieces of glass bits freely moving round inside the tube
  3. One of the tubes base was loose, and I felt it turn with the least amount of pressure whilst the glass top stays in place

Tried to call WooAudio twice.. no answer, so left a voice-mail, as well as used to contact form to let them know they can collect these tubes from me and refund me.

I mean... If you can't trust WooAudio, whilst paying the super expensive prices they ask for, who/woo can you trust?!?

Just got off the phone with Mike Liang from Woo...
Long chat.. rather not say what their philosophy is on what NOS is.. but they agreed to refund me if I ship the tubes back to them ( at my cost )

This has been a very disappointing experience :frowning2:
No 5998 tubes... refund only at a later stage, and won't cover my return shipment or customs fees...

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,402 of 2,724

Sigh...
My quad matched set of NOS Tung Sol 5998 tubes package from WooAudio arrived a few minutes ago.
With customs/import-duties, and the $950USD, I paid about $1000USD.

As I was unboxing these tubes, I noticed:
  1. There was a slight rattle sound when I moved the tubes... a gentle single shake, and the sound was not slight, but clear and apparent
  2. On closer inspection, some of the tubes have small pieces of glass bits freely moving round inside the tube
  3. One of the tubes base was loose, and I felt it turn with the least amount of pressure whilst the glass top stays in place

Tried to call WooAudio twice.. no answer, so left a voice-mail, as well as used to contact form to let them know they can collect these tubes from me and refund me.

I mean... If you can't trust WooAudio, whilst paying the super expensive prices they ask for, who/woo can you trust?!?

Just got off the phone with Mike Liang from Woo...
Long chat.. rather not say what their philosophy is on what NOS is.. but they agreed to refund me if I ship the tubes back to them ( at my cost )

This has been a very disappointing experience :frowning2:
No 5998 tubes... refund only at a later stage, and won't cover my return shipment or customs fees...

Pieces of glass and loose bases are normal and nothing to worry about. Just superglue the base to the glass. 

However, if the tubes suppose to be NOS and you paid $1000 for them I very much understand you want to return them.

rather not say what their philosophy is on what NOS is 

To bad, would be interesting to hear!

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,403 of 2,724
  Pieces of glass and loose bases are normal and nothing to worry about. Just superglue the base to the glass. 

However, if the tubes suppose to be NOS and you paid $1000 for them I very much understand you want to return them.

Are you saying loose bases and bits of glass pieces inside the tube is expected for NOS tubes?

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #2,404 of 2,724

Are you saying loose bases and bits of glass pieces inside the tube is expected for NOS tubes?

No, loose bases comes from people pulling tubes while holding the glass instead of holding the actual base. Loose glass is common in larger tubes but I've never had any in a NOS tube.

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,406 of 2,724

If stated NOS, it should be new, not used.

Broken glass Should not affect it but is a sign of handling and age.

Loose base and broken glass is sign of used tubes.

Used tubes can test new for quite a while depending on usage and biasing.

They most probably meant that the tube tested as a NOS tube.

I have a tube similar that.
Broken glass but inside middle of base and not in tube itself, with a loose base.

No problem though.

Anyways, it's a shame to have to return.
Why not test anyways to see if works before shipping,
And if you like the sound,
Maybe ask for a discount or partial refund considering they said it was "NOS"..

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #2,407 of 2,724
If stated NOS, it should be new, not used.

Broken glass Should not affect it but is a sign of handling and age.

Loose base and broken glass is sign of used tubes.

Used tubes can test new for quite a while depending on usage and biasing.

They most probably meant that the tube tested as a NOS tube.

I have a tube similar that.
Broken glass but inside middle of base and not in tube itself, with a loose base.

No problem though.

Anyways, it's a shame to have to return.
Why not test anyways to see if works before shipping,
And if you like the sound,
Maybe ask for a discount or partial refund considering they said it was "NOS"..

Thanks for the feedback; Much appreciated.

If they are willing to do a partial refund, I'll think about testing them, whilst I get quotes to ship back.
What do you guys think the refund/discount should be?

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,408 of 2,724
Broken glass may not be a sign of use it can happen during manufacture

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2,409 of 2,724
Can any MK VIII or MK VI+ owners compare them to the Ampsandsound Kenzie on sound quality? I'd be especially grateful if anyone has the experience to make that comparison for the original Senn HD800. I know the Kenzie is about twice the price and only single-ended, and both the Little Dots and Kenzie seem to get good reviews from folks who have heard them, but I haven't found any comparisons.

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #2,410 of 2,724
Yeah you getting a basic nice quality baby amp at 3x price what I would consider.
No where even near the power output of the little dot amps in this thread either.

The mk6&8 in stock form should be viewed at woo wa22 level sound quality.

If not a little dot then maybe Look at a Glenn amp Instead.

Regardless, I heard it and it is nice upper mid level quality sound.
Not at MK6/8 level.
Not that strong either.

For super cheapo nice amp to mod above that level,
Look at the small APPJ amps like the one I recently modded:
Nice strong clear sound once Modded.
Similar topology of "single ended" & Transformer output like the amp you mentioned.
:)

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #2,411 of 2,724
Just got a care package from David, 4hr burn and giving the HD800s a work out. :)

My Def of a good night... Comp-Wyrd-V800-LD6+_HD800  He WA7D is jeleous,,,, fkthabtch. :)

BTW, damn that thing runs HOT!!!!!

MY first impression of this amp is to \save your money for all that other $$$ stuff and buy this amp and laugh at the money you saved... Well done David. :)

Just me an Nanalew! :)

EDIT: Oh and one last thing... how about we drop all the verbiage an rate equipment with a, "giggle factor!" :)

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2,415 of 2,724
he states he prefers the e80cc tubes, I would like also to start on that, now would this be ok
Wow... Site.. Ugg..

Anyways, don't spend your money on expensive e80cc driver tubes!
You will get great sound from the 5751 tube and the e180cc tube..(for the driver tubes).

The e80cc only give a bit more soundstage.
When your ready, graduate to the MK6 driver tubes with adapters,
OR my fav 6c8g tube with adapter.
The weird advantage of the MK8, it that the best tubes for it are much cheaper tubes than for mk6(!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back