Life after Yggdrasil?
May 3, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #1,142 of 1,366
That's not saying much, then...

I mentioned that in comparison of the sony dap versus ak dap specifically.. TA-ZH1ES, the desktop dac/amp is mostly what I meant to bring up in this thread though. Sony software engineers did some special stuff to their new flagship. Price is super reasonable too.

May 3, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #1,143 of 1,366
This has been a great thread, though. Really the gold standard from a person who has taken noble quest. It must have been exhausting.

In other new, I heard that the Linn Klimax DSM/3 might be the end-game DAC for some. Pretty lofty heights! I'm sure it's a great DAC (I might have to try it). :)

The cunning that @Torq displays in being able to get through all those DACS is breathtaking. 3 cheers!

May 3, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,144 of 1,366
I just mentioned the new Sony DAC but in my own personal quest for the best, I purchased the PSAudio Direcstream and not only thought it was my personal favorite/best but it has software updatability so it is essentially always getting better and timeless.

May 3, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,145 of 1,366
I just mentioned the new Sony DAC but in my own personal quest for the best, I purchased the PSAudio Direcstream and not only thought it was my personal favorite/best but it has software updatability so it is essentially always getting better and timeless.

We can certainly not discount your personal quest here. You're integral in your reviews which is known. It's great to know what works best for you, and that you never shilly-shally.

May 3, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #1,146 of 1,366
We can certainly not discount your personal quest here. You're integral in your reviews which is known. It's great to know what works best for you, and that you never shilly-shally.

Thanks for being a fan! Yea although I haven't ever reviewed the PSAudio DAC I do think it was every bit worth the big full price tag I purchased it at. I've actually bought two so far.

Again, thanks for being one of my followers and readers I'll try to remember who you are!

May 4, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,150 of 1,366
Yeah, damn all those shills from elsewhere. You and Zeos absolutely rock! I don't even get seasick or anything...

Haha cool man alright!

Anyway, anyone know if the Chord products are software updateable? They seem to be one of the few good fpga guys out there. . I really love the peace of mind of updateabe hardware though. Also has anyone used the Dave with Mac? Does it seem to do well?

Munich is right around the corner.. wonder what we are gonna see in the dac world being released. Anyone know if schiit is attending?

May 4, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #1,151 of 1,366
Haha cool man alright!

Anyway, anyone know if the Chord products are software updateable? They seem to be one of the few good fpga guys out there. . I really love the peace of mind of updateabe hardware though. Also has anyone used the Dave with Mac? Does it seem to do well?

Munich is right around the corner.. wonder what we are gonna see in the dac world being released. Anyone know if schiit is attending?

DAVE works great for me with my MacbookPro and Audirvana+, but I don't play DSD. You can read the first post to see @Torq's link to his thoughts on the DAVE and his experience with DSD from the Mac to the DAVE.

TL;DR it wasn't a good experience for him because of dropouts from his well spec'd Mac Pro.

Chord takes a similar stance to Schiit in that if there is no significant upgrade to the sound quality they will not update the FW. If there is an update it would need to go to a Chord dealer that is authorized / has the tools to do the update to the FPGA (which is where the digital filter is programmed, the actual DAC is the discrete Pulse Array DAC). There have been no software/firmware updates to any Chord gear since before the Hugo to this date.

May 4, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #1,152 of 1,366
DAVE works great for me with my MacbookPro and Audirvana+, but I don't play DSD. You can read the first post to see @Torq's link to his thoughts on the DAVE and his experience with DSD from the Mac to the DAVE.

TL;DR it wasn't a good experience for him because of dropouts from his well spec'd Mac Pro.

Chord takes a similar stance to Schiit in that if there is no significant upgrade to the sound quality they will not update the FW. If there is an update it would need to go to a Chord dealer that is authorized / has the tools to do the update to the FPGA (which is where the digital filter is programmed, the actual DAC is the discrete Pulse Array DAC). There have been no software/firmware updates to any Chord gear since before the Hugo to this date.

Ah I see. Thank you!

May 5, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,153 of 1,366
I would like to recommend folks to stay away from USB, not because it is not good but AES is way better. I recently upgraded from Logitech Squeezebox Touch to Logitech Transporter to run my Yggy AES to AES and the difference is startling.

May 5, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,154 of 1,366
This has been a great thread, though. Really the gold standard from a person who has taken noble quest. It must have been exhausting.

In other new, I heard that the Linn Klimax DSM/3 might be the end-game DAC for some. Pretty lofty heights! I'm sure it's a great DAC (I might have to try it). :)

...and I did try it, and now I'm going to own it. @Torq is right. I don't know how it could get much better than the Linn Klimax. Actually I bought the DS model, because all I need is the RCA and XLR outs.

May 6, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,155 of 1,366
So I actually have the Dave and Yggy right now, and so far, I prefer the Yggy. It just sounds more natural. The Dave seems a little harsh even though it may have slightly higher resolution. I need to do some more testing with the Dave's HF Filter on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back