LG G3 as a portable source?
Jun 24, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #211 of 228
In the exact same boat as you guys... Still love the G3, although I am feeling the itch to upgrade. Strongly considering the GS7 (mainly for the fact that it has a really nice amoled screen and ip68 rated). But I'm unsure of whether or not the E18 will work with it. If it doesn't work with it, it's a total deal breaker for me.
But in all honesty, phones have really started to bore me over the last year or so, there's nothing new and exciting, nothing that makes me absolutely want to get a new phone. Sure, the new models are faster, but there are no new features (other than the ip ratings)... So I guess, for now, Long live the G3

Still loving the G3 as well, and I agree, sure more bells and whistles available with newer models, but the G3 is technically quite sound and runs Android 6 like a charm so I'm happy with it. I know in a year with the way new toys are eventually I'll want to try something new. I will say that if you use the headphone input while the sound quality is good it is not anywhere near powerful enough for my liking. Doesn't effect me as I use Bluetooth anyway.

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #212 of 228
Did you guys update to MM and still able to use a DAC/amp with spotify?

I'm asking because my g3, still being on 5.0, is able to play spotify through a dac, but my v10 with MM can not.

with the idsd and mojo, I couldn't get both of them to work with spotify.

I'm using a e18 now and its working fine with the g3

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #214 of 228
Is there a (big) difference in audio quality between G3 and v10? I'm searching for a smartphone to replace my iphone4. Only things I care about is price (cheap) and audio quality, that's why I was still using ip4 but unfortunately i broke it now.

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #215 of 228
Hello,

What do you think, whether it would be better to keep the LG G3 and add some portable amplifier? Or rather buy some dedicated DAP?
Or take IFI micro idsd BL for lg g3 ?
Is such a combination even suitable for cans like K812 or HD800?

regards,
Simon

Jun 7, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #216 of 228
The Micro is very good for sure, I owned the original, but not the BL version. I guess it depends what you value, the least amount of gear to haul around or less worried about portability. A dedicated DAP can be awesome, but really they aren't cheap to get something with the right feature set and good UI for your needs. If you don't mind having two devices a phone can be an excellent source to an amp, but ideally the phone has a true line out which I'm unsure if that is common or not? If you go with a phone look for a good a strong and true line out if you are going with just a portable amp. Frankly the iFi Micro is a really solid piece of kit as is the Mojo which I'm using now and of course there is so much fantastic gear available these days it is almost hard to keep up with. But yes to the Micro BL, I have only heard very positive things about it and it seems to be a strong consensus here and elsewhere that iFi is a great value for the performance kind of company. I have for my portable needs (true portable meaning public transit etc) stayed with the LG G4 and nice Bluetooth headphones and I feel that is the ultimate in true portability and sound quality wise very, very satisfying.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #217 of 228
The Micro is very good for sure, I owned the original, but not the BL version. I guess it depends what you value, the least amount of gear to haul around or less worried about portability. A dedicated DAP can be awesome, but really they aren't cheap to get something with the right feature set and good UI for your needs. If you don't mind having two devices a phone can be an excellent source to an amp, but ideally the phone has a true line out which I'm unsure if that is common or not? If you go with a phone look for a good a strong and true line out if you are going with just a portable amp. Frankly the iFi Micro is a really solid piece of kit as is the Mojo which I'm using now and of course there is so much fantastic gear available these days it is almost hard to keep up with. But yes to the Micro BL, I have only heard very positive things about it and it seems to be a strong consensus here and elsewhere that iFi is a great value for the performance kind of company. I have for my portable needs (true portable meaning public transit etc) stayed with the LG G4 and nice Bluetooth headphones and I feel that is the ultimate in true portability and sound quality wise very, very satisfying.

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response.
I would have this combination only for the house. So much so that I am not bound to PC and power supply.
Until now I had Gustard H10 and Hifiman HE-560 but I sold all together, because HE-560 too pressed my head and ears.
I had test HD800 at home with IFI micro idsd and liked it. Of course, the other song is HD800 with Hugo TT. But this is too expensive.

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #218 of 228
Hi,

Thank you for your quick response.
I would have this combination only for the house. So much so that I am not bound to PC and power supply.
Until now I had Gustard H10 and Hifiman HE-560 but I sold all together, because HE-560 too pressed my head and ears.
I had test HD800 at home with IFI micro idsd and liked it. Of course, the other song is HD800 with Hugo TT. But this is too expensive.

I would think the Micro would be an excellent option for the HD800. I owned an HD800S recently; however, I didn't own the Micro at the same time so I can't claim to have heard them together. I do still feel that the quality of the Micro and it's capabilities are certainly quite good and for somebody who wants a powerful, small footprint amp/dac with excellent connectivity options, the Micro is well worth considering. I felt the sound quality of the original Micro was very good, but how well you will like it paired with the HD800 is of course very personal. I can't think of any technical reason the Micro would not have a chance of pleasing you with the HD800. Good luck however you go and let us know. Cheers.

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #219 of 228
I would think the Micro would be an excellent option for the HD800. I owned an HD800S recently; however, I didn't own the Micro at the same time so I can't claim to have heard them together. I do still feel that the quality of the Micro and it's capabilities are certainly quite good and for somebody who wants a powerful, small footprint amp/dac with excellent connectivity options, the Micro is well worth considering. I felt the sound quality of the original Micro was very good, but how well you will like it paired with the HD800 is of course very personal. I can't think of any technical reason the Micro would not have a chance of pleasing you with the HD800. Good luck however you go and let us know. Cheers.

Thanks for that. I will

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #221 of 228
Hello,
can anyone confirm that the LG G3 accept a 256gb micro sd card?
Or 200gb?

regards
Simon
I believe that depends on the version of Android, but I could be wrong, maybe there is also a firmware limitation? I would be curious to know this as well, although I did move onto the G4 due to the camera improvement.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #223 of 228
The problem why people don't want to make a smartphones into sources is because the receptions inside the phone will generate noises that deform the quality of the sound. It generates noises from receiving the signals to drawing power for itself. You should just disconnect all antennas and power lines to it from inside any smartphones if you want it to become a source

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #224 of 228
The problem why people don't want to make a smartphones into sources is because the receptions inside the phone will generate noises that deform the quality of the sound. It generates noises from receiving the signals to drawing power for itself. You should just disconnect all antennas and power lines to it from inside any smartphones if you want it to become a source
I have no issues with noise. You must have incredible hearing if you can hear really tiny, tiny amounts of electrical noise overtop of music?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #225 of 228
I have no issues with noise. You must have incredible hearing if you can hear really tiny, tiny amounts of electrical noise overtop of music?
Nope, you can't actually hear these noises, but rather it actually decrease the performances that you can get out of your transport. They could come under different forms and types, could be harsh treble extensions or bass extensions to fall flat on it face, or distortions in complex passages. Every little things do count. I was just speaking out of theories, some facts, and never actually want to bother with making any used cellphone into a transport.

I can, however, share the experiences that I have between Sony Walkman Zx2 and WM1Z. Both can be connected via the same Dock to be a digital transport, and in fact there are differences between them. Wm1z has better treble extensions and presentations. Very hard to believe but it is what I observed, though, would it be worth thousands of dollars differences ? Nah....could I get another cheaper transport that do what Wm1z do ? Don't know....LoL if my money was unlimited ....maybe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back