Lake People HPA RS 02 / HPA RS 08 thread
May 21, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #31 of 115
Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #33 of 115
I have now ordered a rs 02 :). Does ss amps have a brake in time before they sound there best? And what is the best pre gain combination setting with hd 650?

Some say there is burn in time, others vigorously disagree. I'd say it can't hurt just to leave it powered up for a while. Certainly listen right out of the box if you want to though, but maybe don't turn it off when you are done. It draws little power anyway so you can leave it on all the time if you wanted to.

HD650 should work with any pregain setting. Depends on what your source is feeding the amp.

May 23, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #34 of 115
Some say there is burn in time, others vigorously disagree. I'd say it can't hurt just to leave it powered up for a while. Certainly listen right out of the box if you want to though, but maybe don't turn it off when you are done. It draws little power anyway so you can leave it on all the time if you wanted to.

HD650 should work with any pregain setting. Depends on what your source is feeding the amp.
Ok thanks. I will feed it with a dac conected to my tv.

I am also looking for a dac upgrade from my basic $20 fiio do3k to pair with rs 02 . And i am looking for a soft sound with no harsh sss in netflix dialogue which i heard more when trying a chord hugo compared to the fiio with x-can v3, any suggestions? Maybe thats what you get when they become to detailed with lesser audio quality.
Ifi ione and chord mojo is on top of my list now. Read that mojo have an warm and soft sound. Also read that the similar g 109s will sound the way the dac sound.
From headphonia
"The sources I am using for this review are the Matrix Mini-I and the Resonessence Labs Concero HD (and I am never going to finish my review on the HD, because if I never finish my review, I can keep it forever). I actually think I underrated the Mini-I in my review. Although its bass detail isn’t great, it has a wonderful, warm, smooth sound that is extremely enjoyable, and not too laid back either. I know this because the G109S let me know. Switching to the Concero HD, the change in source is extremely obvious as the warmth of the Mini-I is replaced by the manic electricity of the HD. It takes the source, amplifies it, and passes it on. I am trying to keep this from becoming a DAC review, which is hard since it has such an effect of the sound."

It would have been nice with a dac hall of fame in innerfidelity.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #37 of 115
So its $700 on Massdrop now. Still $300 more than a Jotenheim. Hard to say if its worth it but the regular price of $1K is nuts. I would be curious to hear if anyone has heard both the RS 08 and the Jot.

May 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #38 of 115
For the RS 08, does anyone know the RMS / continuous output specs for this? I'm specifically wondering about the continuous watts output at 200 Ohms.
I have only been able to find the "max output" specs.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #42 of 115
The rs 02 unit was much smaller then i thought it would be, which is good.
Tried the Rs 02 the first time today. And it sounds great. I am hearing more details and better seperation then on the x-can v3. X-can might have wider sound stage though.

Amp uppgrade with Rs 02 makes more hearible improvements then when i was trying a hugo connected to my x-can compared to my cheaper 20 dollar fiio dac, i think.

After further listening i think it lacks a little sub bass but i think the bass is more articulate compared to the x-can. If this is being neutral i dont know can feel a little boring imo. Maybe another dac can fit better, one with much bass to balance it out. Also it sounds a bit flat, more attack and dynamic would be welcome. Maybe a better dac can fix this too?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #43 of 115
I am not likeing the rs 02 amp that much. Its to flat sounding with little dynamic and attack and there for not so musical to my ears. Also needs more sub bass imo, feels a little thin. Its clean and detailed though. My only hope is that a better dac then the basic and cheap fiio do3k can bring it to life. Though the fiio do3k sounds fine with the x-can v3. Im thinking maybe beacuse its a neutral amp(people have said) it just conways what the dac is acheiving with out adding any own sound signature. Or someone can explain what a neutral amp is if i got it wrong?
Using hd 650.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #44 of 115
@bluenight

That's how a transparent amp should sound like. If you want some color, you might wanna take a loot at tube amps instead.

But there are larger differences between different combinations of tubes and the amp themselves, so if you ever decide to go tubes, prepare your wallet.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #45 of 115
I am not likeing the rs 02 amp that much. Its to flat sounding with little dynamic and attack and there for not so musical to my ears. Also needs more sub bass imo, feels a little thin. Its clean and detailed though. My only hope is that a better dac then the basic and cheap fiio do3k can bring it to life. Though the fiio do3k sounds fine with the x-can v3. Im thinking maybe beacuse its a neutral amp(people have said) it just conways what the dac is acheiving with out adding any own sound signature. Or someone can explain what a neutral amp is if i got it wrong?
Using hd 650.

The amp will absolutely benefit from a better DAC. I would maybe look into DACs that are known to be a bit bassier, maybe something 4490 based. However, the RS02/08 were designed to be very neutral for studio monitoring so maybe this isn't a sound you are looking for. A tube buffer such as the iFi iTube 2 could improve most of the "flaws" you are describing but maybe a less neutral amp is closer to your preferences.

I'm loving my RS 08. It might be the best sub $1K SS amp I have heard. Yes, it is very neutral but that is exactly what I was looking for. Couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back