KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Apr 6, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,806 of 4,052
  If you could recommend a good software EQ for mac I'd try it. All I want is a lot of bass thump. I forget what program I tried but it sucked the life out of things.

what player are you using. Many have Eq built in. This should not be this hard.

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #2,809 of 4,052
Try amarra sq+. There is a free trial
http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/asqp.php

It's not compatible with my DAC and the built in profiles distort terribly in the bass. :/

I might give AKG headphones a go. Someone told me they will give me all the detail of an electrostatic but with the slam of bass. Worth a try.

For now I am satisfied with the Koss. Best I have tried yet. 

How do you find the Utopias compared with the Koss? All that's missing for me is thick distorted bass slam, but perhaps that's because I've never heard anything better. Going to try the HE-1 this weekend unless it interferes with getting drinks with a friend who is visiting. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2,810 of 4,052
  All that's missing for me is thick distorted bass slam, but perhaps that's because I've never heard anything better.

If you want real bass slam, get speakers. I just got JBL LSR305 speakers that sound ridiculously epic. I can still feel the bass pounding when I walk downstairs! And these are studio monitors, not even meant for basshead purposes.

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,811 of 4,052

Try amarra sq+. There is a free trial
http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/asqp.php

It's not compatible with my DAC and the built in profiles distort terribly in the bass. :/

I might give AKG headphones a go. Someone told me they will give me all the detail of an electrostatic but with the slam of bass. Worth a try.

For now I am satisfied with the Koss. Best I have tried yet. 

How do you find the Utopias compared with the Koss? All that's missing for me is thick distorted bass slam, but perhaps that's because I've never heard anything better. Going to try the HE-1 this weekend unless it interferes with getting drinks with a friend who is visiting. 

What DAC are you using? I've never heard os a DAC that wasn't compatible with Ammara. 

I absolute hate "thick distorted bass slam" so I cannot tell you how good the Utopia is for that. I have no idea why anyones likes that. Anything with "distorted" in the name is something one shouldn't like :)

​You might also try some uncompressed music with iTunes (in ALC format) and the built in eq. I'm not sure what you are doing with eq, but I would not recommend boosting the bass more than 3 or 4 db with any tool. 

If you want distorted bass slam, get some beats. :)

If you want tight, high quality bass slam, get a TH600/610/900 or older denons.

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,812 of 4,052

If you want real bass slam, get speakers. I just got JBL LSR305 speakers that sound ridiculously epic. I can still feel the bass pounding when I walk downstairs! And these are studio monitors, not even meant for basshead purposes.

My apartment has very thin walls, hence the headphones. 

Anyhow, I'm happy enough with the Koss. Maybe I'll just get some Beats for portable use. My friends who have them LOVE them more than I love anything I've used.

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #2,813 of 4,052

Anyhow, I'm happy enough with the Koss. Maybe I'll just get some Beats for portable use. My friends who have them LOVE them more than I love anything I've used.

If you have to stick with headphones, I'd suggest something more along these lines for basshead purposes:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Since I love these speakers so much, I'm getting rid of most of my headphones, including the basshead rig linked to in my signature.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #2,814 of 4,052

I(snip)

Since I love these speakers so much, I'm getting rid of most of my headphones, including the basshead rig linked to in my signature.

Sell-out. Shame on you. No coffee/Mountain Dew/any form of caffeine.... for a month.........   
atsmile.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #2,815 of 4,052

Get the Status CB1. Great bass, solid sound, for a hundred bucks and better than Beats :)

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #2,816 of 4,052

My .02 on some cans I own for bass...

On the http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club link, the #1 ranked cans are the JVC SZ2000. They mention that their "Weakness: Veiled". This is an understatement. They truly are bass cannons with poor mids and ok highs. I'd liken them to the Ford Focus sitting next to you at the stoplight that is literally shaking because it has a bunch of subwoofers in the trunk.

Honestly, if that is what you want, they are astonishing at what they do. I'd have to say they've been my worst purchase since I've joined Head-Fi.

The 'basshead' cans of mine that get regular playing time are the D600, M100, DT770s. When I'm listening to Hip Hop, R&B, etc. none of these cans disappoint. For portability, the M100s (~$200) win out of this group hands down and are the cans I clip to my work backpack.

TBH, the M80's do a nice job as well and can often be had for less than $80.

I'll throw out one other idea for a portable can with 'Tight and bottomless bass' since they're on sale now. The Beyer DT1350s are going for $119.99 on Newegg and you get a $20 gift card to boot! Sale ends in 17 hours.

The look is kinda retro, but these cans have solid bass and are excellent all-rounders. Here is a review on Innerfidelity http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350#0DBPkHJM8dizzkxX.97

All of that said...since I missed so badly on the SZ2000s, I'm sure I'll pull the trigger on the Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 for $399 as I'm unable to talk myself into spending $1000 for a set of TH900s at this point.

EDIT: the 'hardest hitting' basshead crew also has an IEM thread and they recommended the Sony MDR-XB90EX asr a high-value basshead purchase. I got them for $89 on Amazon...nice basshead IEM!

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #2,817 of 4,052
Get the Status CB1. Great bass, solid sound, for a hundred bucks and better than Beats :)

Was out on Massdrop eyeing the TH-X00's and saw that they have the Status CB1's for $54.99...seems like a very good price and worth a shot according to conquerator2's description...

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #2,818 of 4,052
Was out on Massdrop eyeing the TH-X00's and saw that they have the Status CB1's for $54.99...seems like a very good price and worth a shot according to conquerator2's description...

Thanks, yeah I have heard those are good and thanks to both of you for the recommendation. They may be redundant with what I already have, though, since they seem similar to the DT1350, which I own. Unless these combine the bass of the DT1350 with the clarity of electrostatics, it's probably not worth it even if the reviews are GREAT.

I missed my HE-1 appointment because I had to work, so I ended up not trying anything, which sucks since I basically live in DTLA. I actually own some DT1350s (as I just mentioned) and the bass is perfect for me, just enough boost. I know Beats gives you even more bass and the Solo 2 is considered better overall, but I listen to very little hip hop and it's mostly Rihanna or Kanye West, which isn't as bass-heavy as some and the only EDM I listen to is Warp Records type stuff.... so while I really miss the bass on the few tracks that have tons, I can't justify buying a headphone for each song I occasionally listen to, especially as I listen to WAY more rock and folk. I love the DT1350s, which do sound very bass-heavy to me. These are my favorite headphones at work, and I find them less veiled than the HD650 but without the sparkle of the electrostats. Remarkably clear. The HD650s are better overall but I might just sell them and take the Beyers home with me.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2,819 of 4,052
My .02 on some cans I own for bass...

snipz...

I'll throw out one other idea for a portable can with 'Tight and bottomless bass' since they're on sale now. The Beyer DT1350s are going for $119.99 on Newegg and you get a $20 gift card to boot! Sale ends in 17 hours.

The look is kinda retro, but these cans have solid bass and are excellent all-rounders. Here is a review on Innerfidelity http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350#0DBPkHJM8dizzkxX.97

That's actually a very nice catch. Better, IMHO, than the Status CB-1, even at twice the price. Oh, and the "BlackFriday" discount doesn't work at Status anymore. Well, I'm not that big a fan of on the ear, prefer circumaural, but Beyer build quality, and the Tesla technology, well, I can't really imagine Status coming that close. The T90 Jubilee on Black Friday was what started me on the path where I ended up with the ESP-950 (long story...); they were VERY tempting...

Just over six hours left on that sale. Hmmm; this is how paypal has gotten me to make SO many good decisions....

I know I can't wear my ESP-950 at work; these are just a bit more than what I paid just for the Vesper pads; hmmm... 

Time for an honest CBA... Damn!!

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #2,820 of 4,052
  That's actually a very nice catch. Better, IMHO, than the Status CB-1, even at twice the price. Oh, and the "BlackFriday" discount doesn't work at Status anymore. Well, I'm not that big a fan of on the ear, prefer circumaural, but Beyer build quality, and the Tesla technology, well, I can't really imagine Status coming that close. The T90 Jubilee on Black Friday was what started me on the path where I ended up with the ESP-950 (long story...); they were VERY tempting...

Just over six hours left on that sale. Hmmm; this is how paypal has gotten me to make SO many good decisions....

I know I can't wear my ESP-950 at work; these are just a bit more than what I paid just for the Vesper pads; hmmm... 

Time for an honest CBA... Damn!!

I think they're great, but as I said the Beats Solo 2 (not the original) is better-regarded and about the same price. I bought them for more ($120 with no gift card) on Black Friday and was impressed. Really good sound, particularly nice bass extension with no distortion at all (but more weight than electrostats). Not that comfortable (tight clamp) with sort of a boxed in sound compared with Stax or the Koss and not quite as good as HD650 in that regard, but very good sound overall. Better unamped than the HD650, imo, way more lively. Good treble detail, decent mids, no veil, incredible bass extension but without the slam of bigger headphones (still more than the Koss). Could be warmer, the Koss has better mids with more detail too.

I've heard the quality control was inconsistent but I really like them and I like the Koss so you might too. Very small and easy to bring to work and closed, but they do block ambient noise, which I like but not everyone wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back