Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 9, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #5,642 of 63,802
How does the ED10 compare to the ATE/ed9?

ATE is said to be less detailed than the ED9, but have better bass and soundstage, how does the ED10 compare to that? Because according to one guy who talked to the people at KZ, they said the ED10 wasn't made to be the best sounding model, only a consumer friendly sound with a mic.

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #5,643 of 63,802

ATE is said to be less detailed than the ED9, but have better bass and soundstage, how does the ED10 compare to that? Because according to one guy who talked to the people at KZ, they said the ED10 wasn't made to be the best sounding model, only a consumer friendly sound with a mic.

smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe it's GREAT sound is by accident?

ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
TWIN

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #5,644 of 63,802

Maybe it's not in there best interest to say that......they just want everybody to comeback to shop for more KZzzzzzz!

PS. It's hard to wake-up from this dream because they actually got us in a trance!
blink.gif

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #5,645 of 63,802
cool.gif
I don't quite understand this BASS reference to the ED10s. Yes, when I first got them the Bass was Heavy and Bloated. With 200 Hours burn in on them , they have Ample Bass but it is Fast, tight and controlled. At least it is on mine with Auvio Hybrids on it.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #5,646 of 63,802
This is a review of KZ ED10 IEMs.

To complete the series of my KZ "giant killer" reviews, I'm going to look closer into their ED10 IEM model I received from Zhengnan store (one of KZ official resellers on Amazon).  Joining an impressive line up of EDSE, ED9, and ATE, Knowledge Zenith (KZ) continuous with ED10 offering a unique design, a great build quality, and a decent sound signature without too much overlap with other models.  But what impresses me the most is the fact that you can buy all 4 models and still pay less than a single pair of IEMs with sub-par sound quality.  That is a reason I refer to these KZ models as "giant killers" and here is more specific info about ED10.

ED10 arrived in a shield-shaped box like ATE black edition, and it was a nice and a compact packaging with a secure storage for IEM and accessories.  At the same time even so packaging box looks cool, it doesn't make a convenient storage case, so perhaps in the future KZ can redesign it considering they don't provide anything for storage as part of the accessories package.  The only thing you get is 3 sets of eartips, M/L with small bore opening, and a large hybrid eartip with a blue core.  That one was actually my favorite tip since it offered the best fitment due to its springy cap, and wide bore opening worked quite well to tame down the low end and open up higher frequencies (more about it later).

Unboxing and accessories.

For those familiar with other previously mentioned KZ models, the cable design is not going to be a surprise.  You are looking at the same right-angle 3.5mm gold plated plug with an excellent strain relief.  Cable jacket has a translucent design where you can easily see bi-color wires, and it's soft, a bit rubbery, and flexible.  Y-splitter is compact, rubbery, and has great strain relief on all 3 sides.  Featured in-line universal remote with mic and a single button play/pause/call operation was slightly different from previous models, having a bright red button to see it easier, and it also has a good strain relief.

Attachment to the shell is secure and with a good strain relief as well.  Considering how KZ sometime likes to "copy" some other popular designs, here I couldn't help but notice a strong resemblance with Ostry KC06x series.  Obviously, we are not dealing with a titanium shell, but the finish and even the shape from the nozzle side has a lot of resemblance to Ostrys.  The insertion is not too deep, shells don't stick out too much, and they are very comfortable with both wire down or wire up fitment, even to the point where I can fall asleep on a pillow while wearing these.  Also, microphonics effect was not that bad.

With two vents, one by the base of the nozzle and another one toward the back of the shell, you will not have to worry about driver flex, but at the same time isolation was not bad either.  I don't know exactly what material it was made out of, but I really like the smooth finish of ED10.  My only gripe was cursive handwriting font used on each shell to spell out Left and Right instead of a more clear and easier to read L/R letter marking.  Other than that, I really like the design and the fitment.

Design details.

Wire up/down fitment.

When it comes to a sound signature, KZ ED10 has a v-shaped smooth clear sound with an enhanced bass (strong sub-bass and mid-bass region).  Their soundstage has an average width and above average depth.

In more details, low end has a nice deep rounded sub-bass and fast punchy mid-bass.  The balance between  sub- and mid- is skewed a little more toward sub-bass, but it's still under control without muddying a sound.  There is a little bit of mid-bass spillage into the lower mids but it's not excessive and only adds to the warmth of a sound.

Lower mids are warm and smooth with a nice body, upper mids are clear and smooth, but not super detailed.  Upper mids are a little recessed, but not hidden too far behind bass and treble.  Vocals sound warm and organic.

Treble has a polite quantity, smooth, not too crisp or harsh, definitely non-fatigue and great for extended listening.

Keeping it in a family, here is how EDSE, ED9, and ATE compare in sound to ED10.

KZ ED10 vs ATE: ATE has nearly a similar sound minus bass-boost (less sub-bass and not as fast mid-bass punch).  At the same time, ED10 is a touch brighter in upper mids/treble which slightly improves resolution of a sound.

KZ ED10 vs ED9:  ED9 has less sub-bass, less mid-bass, thinner lower mids, brighter more detailed upper mids, and a better treble extension.  In a contrast, ED10 is warmer, smoother, has more body, and sounds bassier, while ED9 is more revealing.

KZ ED10 vs EDSE:  EDSE has less sub-bass and mid-bass, a bit thinner lower mids, and thinner upper mids, better treble extension, and also sounds more crispier/brighter.

In comparison to a few other IEMs:

KZ ED10 vs KC06A:  KC06A has less sub-bass, stronger mid-bass (slightly more quantity), thinner lower mids, more upfront upper mids (brighter and perhaps a little harsher), better treble extension (brighter, crispier).

KZ ED10 vs VSD3:  VSD3 has a little less sub-bass, similar mid-bass, similar lower mids, brighter/harsher more upfront upper mids, better treble extension with a higher quantity (brighter, crispier).

Conclusion.

This is another great KZ "budget" release which doesn't sound, look, or feel like a budget IEM.  You will get a bigger low end impact, in both sub- and mid-bass regions, and that's probably going to be a deciding factor if this sound signature is your cup of tea, versus something more neutral and analytical.  Considering the price of these KZ headphones, sometime it makes sense to get different models to cover your various sound sig preferences, and then decide later what you are in a mood for or what would fit better your current listening repertoire.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #5,647 of 63,802
Great review, twister. Actually I was about to ask you for review of ED10,but was pleasantly surprised too see it here.

From my perspective I find the description in sync with my findings. Good work.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #5,648 of 63,802
OK, I'm going to give the brass nozzle mod a shot (low density sponge sliver of silverstone damping sponge and maybe port sealing) , but does anyone know why you should close the small port  ? Whydodat ?
As usually with for example, a Fostex planar headphone modification, the  more or bigger the BASS PORT holes, the more the low-end shifts up in quantity.Yet the brass nozzle was bass light on my fast first impression in stock config...

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #5,649 of 63,802
Closing breathing holes usually tightens up bass and percussion punch and raises quantity. My recommendation is to experiment with different amount and type of foam(or other material) and if it still won`t get "right", then try closing ports. But closing ports can cause driver flex when inserting them in ear.

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #5,651 of 63,802
  Closing breathing holes usually tightens up bass and percussion punch and raises quantity. My recommendation is to experiment with different amount and type of foam(or other material) and if it still won`t get "right", then try closing ports. But closing ports can cause driver flex when inserting them in ear.

Thanks, think I'm going to give ATE a second shot as well. 3 sets (ED9/ED10/ATE) for under $50.

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #5,652 of 63,802
Imho, with my gear and sound preference, ATE doesn`t need closing ports and it causes driver flex also (if fully closed). Though it makes bass and percussion very punchy and present and I can imagine many loving that configuration. My ATE mod-preference is removed nozzle grills + open back grill mod - makes it littlebit more detailed, clear and spacious. But I also think that translucent version of ATE sounds great out of the box and doesn`t have littlebit "hollowness" like silver version. Don`t know if it might be driver production quality difference or housing plastic material difference but my translucent ATE sounded tad better than silver ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back