Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 27, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #19,291 of 63,834
How common is the limited deal on Gearbest ? I wanted to buy KZ ZST and if these deals are common, I can wait

Flash deals happen all of the time. The limited "step" deals happen rarely (step as in x units at 1 price between date #1, then the price steps down on y units between date #2, then the price steps up on z units between date #3).

I've noticed that they usually the do those step deals on newly released products. ZST has been out a while.

Personally, I wouldn't hold your breath. Just wait for the next flash sale and order.

You can also wait for November, when Gearbest and Aliexpress have their crazy sales (such as 11.11, etc).

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #19,292 of 63,834
How common is the limited deal on Gearbest ? I wanted to buy KZ ZST and if these deals are common, I can wait
The shipping from GearBest is taking so long I'm now starting to wish I'd have spent the extra money and ordered my ZS5's from Amazon with 2-day Prime shipping.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #19,293 of 63,834
The shipping from GearBest is taking so long I'm now starting to wish I'd have spent the extra money and ordered my ZS5's from Amazon with 2-day Prime shipping.

That's what I did... for my first pair :wink: My backup pair is en route from GearBest... although I did pay an extra ~$6 or so to get 7-10 day shipping. It still only came out to $26 I think, a steal either way honestly.

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #19,294 of 63,834
I got the KZ ZS5 last week. Really loving it so far but the cable makes a lot of noise when it moves or is touched. I think you guys call this "microphonic"? Can anyone confirm if the upgraded silver cable does not have this issue? Also, my Sure SE215's have a sliding thing on the cable so that when you run the cable behind your back you can tighten it on the back of your head to help it from moving around/coming out (I use these for playing guitar live). Does anyone know of an upgraded cable that has this feature or a product I can get to add it to a cable?
Can anyone else confirm if cable noise is this bad in ZS5 ? If you could compare it to Soundmagic E10, that would be better

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #19,296 of 63,834
I don't notice microphonics at all with the stock cable while actually listening to music (although I can certainly notice it when the music isn't playing) - but then again I listen to my music very loud, so you might not want to take my word for it. :D

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #19,297 of 63,834
I find the microphonic noise much worse on the E10 than the ZS5
That's good to hear. E10 are bearable

I don't notice microphonics at all with the stock cable while actually listening to music (although I can certainly notice it when the music isn't playing) - but then again I listen to my music very loud, so you might not want to take my word for it. :D
I listen at low volumes, so it might be a problem. Can you check at low volumes ?

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #19,298 of 63,834
Your fears are well founded. When I was selling this stuff I was amazed at the variation even withing the same batch, never mind from factory to factory. You will just have to give it a go and hope for the best.

Yeah, I don't want to risk buying these not-so-universal $8 2-pins connector and hope for a matching fit, so I decided to open up the connector from stock cable.

YHGJJt6.jpg

These 2 pins connector is pretty much reusable if you do it correctly. The connector are molded directly to the cable like the 3.5mm jack, but unlike the jack, they separate the mold process into two: one for securing the pins soldered to the cable, and another one act as hollow shell that protect the first mold (shown above). Just slice the connector right in the middle line and break the inside mold to get the pins, solder the cable and glue it in. Just a tip: carve the inside a lil to give space for the glue / thicker cable, use thick cream epoxy instead standard liquid power glue, glue the pins first to the inside shell before soldering to avoid messy glue, & avoid glue to dry on the recessed part of the pins or it won't connect properly.

This one looks messy since I half assed it and broke once because I used it without letting the glue cured, but you get the idea. I also have dissembled the connector from broken ZS3 cable perfectly for future modding.

NxwGkTX.jpg

Not the best looking cable, but hey, at least I only spent $3 for this :).

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #19,299 of 63,834
Can anyone else confirm if cable noise is this bad in ZS5 ? If you could compare it to Soundmagic E10, that would be better

The microphonics on the stock cable were borderline unbearable for me, because I use them mainly when I'm doing stuff outside and moving around. I ordered the silver replacement cable in the hope to get rid of the cable noise. I love the IEMs though. They sound a hell of a lot more expensive than they are. :)

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #19,300 of 63,834
The microphonics on the stock cable were borderline unbearable for me, because I use them mainly when I'm doing stuff outside and moving around. I ordered the silver replacement cable in the hope to get rid of the cable noise. I love the IEMs though. They sound a hell of a lot more expensive than they are. :)
Personally I didn't encounter any microphonics after removing the memory wire. Helped big time, also in comfort.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #19,301 of 63,834
I just received my ZS3 today and I'm totally disappointed with the sound (with stock silicone tips) after having good experience with both good sounding ZST and ZS5 paired with the Comply T400 tips...I'm surprised with some that claimed the bass didn't bleed into the mids...they're bleeding all over...and where's the highs??? All i hear is wooly bass without any definition. After doing the Slater mod (removing the red and black foam filter), the highs and mids improved a tiny bit but the bass is still over powering everything else in the frequency spectrum. ZS3 is definitely not my definition of a good sounding IEM at whatever cost, even at $5. ZS3 is definitely a basshead's dream come true but it's a total nightmare for me. It's a real pity though because the ZS3 doesn't look like a cheap IEM but it sure sounds cheap. I wish those who claim that it sounds better than the ZST and ZS5 good luck...I'm getting really dizzy listening to it :dizzy_face: I wouldn't even dare to give it to my wife or she'll give me that stare and stop making dinner for a month :angry:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #19,302 of 63,834
I just received my ZS3 today and I'm totally disappointed with the sound after having good experience with both good sounding ZST and ZS5 paired with the Comply T400 tips...and I'm surprised with some that claimed the bass didn't bleed into the mids...they're bleeding all over...and where's the highs??? All i hear is wooly bass without any definition. After doing the Slater mod, the highs and mids improved a tiny bit but the bass is still over powering everything else in the frequency spectrum. ZS3 is definitely not my definition of a good sounding IEM at whatever cost, even at $5. ZS3 is definitely a basshead's dream come true...I wish those who claim that it sounds better than the ZST and ZS5 good luck...I'm getting really dizzy listening to it :dizzy_face:

That's exactly what i think of the ZS3. I never listened to it anymore.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #19,303 of 63,834
I just received the silver replacement cable for the ZS5 and found that the plugs went in with the L/R facing inside not outside as the stock cable was

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #19,305 of 63,834
I just received the silver replacement cable for the ZS5 and found that the plugs went in with the L/R facing inside not outside as the stock cable was

It's too risky to go by the direction of the L/R lettering. The only way to verify the proper direction of the plugs is to match the direction of the 'key' - 1 side is round and the other is flat.

The link in my signature shows the proper orientation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back